HBO Episode Teaser - I am so sorry

That was my thought as well- until I read this thread I wouldn't have questioned it for a second.

She does sound sorry, so I say forgive her.

She is about to be overtaken by the wights. She is bent over protecting Bran in desperation. She is apologizing for what she feels is their inevitable death and is apologizing to Bran for her failure. It couldn't be anymore clear. On a side note, this is where Summer should have made his last stand, buying them enough time for the arrival of Benjen, fighting gallantly taking many wights with him, not that stupid death dumb and dumber gave us last episode,

Meera will probably die this episode, benjen can't defeat all them wights, so meera dies, benjen swoops up bran and together they outrun the wights on horseback.

27 minutes ago, Darren Allen said:

I don't think Meera dies. 

Hide contents

R + L = J + M

I don't think it's a coincidence that she's the last one from Bran's party still standing, either. Given her age, appearance, and origin, I think she looms rather large in the outcome of the show. 

You could be right, and I hope you are honestly, but I just don't see how one guy can save the both of them. Not without some help.

5 hours ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

The theory that Benjen has been marked by the Night's King like Bran is cool, it does explain why he never returned to Castle Back..

But it has a massive plot hole: If Benjen didn't return in fear of breaking the Wall's protective spells, why would lead Bran there?

Because he finds a good reason in his visions. He has to return to a specific spot south of the wall. My guess is the crypts of Winterfell. He realizes that he has to do it even if it means the end of the wall.

7 hours ago, King Edd of House Tollet said:

The theory that Benjen has been marked by the Night's King like Bran is cool, it does explain why he never returned to Castle Back..

That is a very good point.

The Nights King could've "marked' any of the nights watch at any time to gain access to the south and yet he did not do this.

This tells me that the NK mark wouldn't work this way and the wall is different.

On May 25, 2016 at 3:30 AM, JonReborned said:

I hope he is Benjen saving them but also hope we get a good explanation about what he has been doing north of the wall on whenever he has been. I am sure Martin will have a really good one in the books if this situation happens there.

That voice is a bit high to be Bran's.  

Benjen is a great character up to now because his disappearance is so mysterious.  I want to believe some part of him resides in Coldhands (think Severian and Thecla from the BoTNS) but no evidence to back it up.  

On May 26, 2016 at 0:03 PM, mjc5156 said:

In last week's episode the Night's King marked Bran by grabbing his arm, which allowed him to then break the magical spell / barrier around the cave due to Bran's presence in the cave while being marked. I think this gives us a hint around a.) how the wall and the magic protecting it will be brought down and b.) a potential reason why Benjen hasn't returned to Castle Black / anywhere south of the Wall. Perhaps Benjen, in his years north of the Wall, has been marked by the Night's King (can any WW "mark" someone?) and thus has not returned in fear of making the Wall vulnerable. Whether Benjen has survived normally or is some sort of undead, I can't think of any reason he wouldn't return to help the NW or the Starks other than being marked and not wanting to give the WW a free path south. Of course this is assuming Benjen is still a "good" character and has not allied with / become a WW.

I like your theory.  The Starks may also immune to being turned into WWs.  Benjen might be a benign revenant that can't become WW.  He could still be influenced by the NK so he keeps his distance from everyone.  

On 26 May 2016 at 8:03 PM, mjc5156 said:

In last week's episode the Night's King marked Bran by grabbing his arm, which allowed him to then break the magical spell / barrier around the cave due to Bran's presence in the cave while being marked. I think this gives us a hint around a.) how the wall and the magic protecting it will be brought down and b.) a potential reason why Benjen hasn't returned to Castle Black / anywhere south of the Wall. Perhaps Benjen, in his years north of the Wall, has been marked by the Night's King (can any WW "mark" someone?) and thus has not returned in fear of making the Wall vulnerable. Whether Benjen has survived normally or is some sort of undead, I can't think of any reason he wouldn't return to help the NW or the Starks other than being marked and not wanting to give the WW a free path south. Of course this is assuming Benjen is still a "good" character and has not allied with / become a WW.

If the NK could get past The Wall simply by marking a man of the Nights Watch, don't you think he would've done it years ago? 

Also if the 'mark' had more profound effects, then it would be at the top of 3ECs list of information to upload into Bran. 3EC knew about the mark & what it means. If it is the mark which brings down the wall then it will make no sense unless 3EC WANTS the NK to get through, other than that it is not logical.

37 minutes ago, Dragon Sharpe said:

I like your theory.  The Starks may also immune to being turned into WWs.  Benjen might be a benign revenant that can't become WW.  He could still be influenced by the NK so he keeps his distance from everyone.  

Hopefully Benjen will give us insight into what is really means to be a Stark.

Nah, the more i think about it, the more illogical it is.

In addition to the above, if the 'mark' is the only way that the NK can pass the wall or bring it down then the NK would not be trying to kill Bran so convincingly. He would not have killed Hodor because Hodor is Brans best bet of getting back to the wall. The NK is not stupid. If this actually comes to pass i will be fuming! :)

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, SevasTra82 said:

Benjens re-appearance really intrigues me.  Will he still be a human?  Did HBO do some sort of Coldhands/Benjen story merge?  Why is he still hanging around North of the wall and not returning to the watch?

So many questions...

Benjin/Coldhands merge has my money.

7 hours ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Hopefully Benjen will give us insight into what is really means to be a Stark.

I suspect that Bran told a younger Benjen to come save him from the future.

I also suspect that Bran has to hurry back to Winterfell because it's missing a Stark right now and therefore no protection against the northern encroachment. That really puts the threat behind the Stark words “Winter is coming” so that they are just as threatening as everybody else’s.

Archived