Dinner with GRRM - what should I ask?

So I will be attending Balticon this weekend and to kick it off I will be going to a charity dinner where I will meet (and eat with) GRRM.  So, what questions should I ask?  What topics should I bring up?  Here's what I have so far.

1) talk about Eli and the Gmen.  Hopefully 2016 will go better than the last few seasons...

2) be completely tongue tied bc I'm in the presence of GRRM

Help!!!

12 hours ago, Jimmy is not No One said:

So I will be attending Balticon this weekend and to kick it off I will be going to a charity dinner where I will meet (and eat with) GRRM.  So, what questions should I ask?  What topics should I bring up?  Here's what I have so far.

1) talk about Eli and the Gmen.  Hopefully 2016 will go better than the last few seasons...

2) be completely tongue tied bc I'm in the presence of GRRM

Help!!!

Get 1 or 2 "important" questions that u want to ask, and make sure they aren"t direct "mysteries" that he obviously isn't going to answer.

He is only going to spend ~30 minutes at each table and with the 10 people at a table that's about 3 minutes a person. And that doesn't include time he is actually going to be eating. So likely each person will probably get about 90 to 120 seconds.

Come prepared with a question you definetly want to ask and a back up if u have the time.

My question would be

"In retrospect, regardless of your feelings about the actual content of the show, are u still happy with the decision to allow them to make it seeing as someone else will be telling some of the mysteries / endings of your life's work before you get the chance too? Looking back would u try and hold out for a few more years, with the obvious risk that it then doesn't get made?"

Don't ask him a damn thing about the series. Just tell him you love the series and talk to him about sports. He likes the Giants (NFL). 

fans pester him about the the show and books all the time. Stand out by complimenting him on his work, saying you're looking forward to the future books, and that you appreciate effort he has put into creating this wonderful famtasy universe. Than eat your food.

3 hours ago, leonardof said:

I wouldn't ask anything about A Song of Ice and Fire. That's work for him, no matter how fun it is for us.

Come on! don't lie to yourself. This is work for him. He’ll be there because you payed for it. This is not a meeting between friends. This does not change, whatever you ask.

So use your 2 minutes, don’t throw them away by asking when WOW comes or who Jon’s parents are, read some SSMs to not repeat thinks already asked and find two creative questions.  

It will be waste of time if you won't ask him anything. I have few ideas but most likely he wouldn's answer on most of them.

To what houses have married daughters of cregan stark and black aly blackwood?

Does Andar Royce, heir of Yohn Royce have any children? Because as both robar and waymar died it looks that except Andar, Yohn do not have any heirs.

Is Stannis great-uncle Harbert, who have been former castellan of storms end, Baratheon? 

How Bethany Redwyne, lady what hoster wanted to be wife of blackfish, is related to paxter redwyne? Is she his sister?

Why you tend to portrait brackens as greedy and power hungry and blackwoods as brave and noble? 

Why Walder Frey didn't tried to marry his heir, Stevron to Genna Lannister? It would be better match than Emmon.

Does Robert Arryn have blue eyes like his father?

Does Roose Bolton have any siblings?

I would ask him if he watches basketball, and if he thinks the Lakers might be able to put together a good squad one day. I am ever so hopeful and would like to know what he thinks. He likes sports, but seems to like his teams back east. Maybe he likes basketball. 

Or, talk politics, that gets folks to reaveal alot about who they are and what they stand for. Might give you some insights on what he is thinking when writing the political intrigue in his books. 

Or a but of history talk and how the events in history are connected to the events in the book. I'd love to hear him talk more on that. 

Archived