A Forum I Follow is Making the Same Upgrade as AFOIAF

Maester Drew

First, I am unsure where exactly to put this topic. My apologies if I have erred. :)

So, I frequent another forum that is in the works of upgrading to the new software offered by Invision Power Services. And since it'll be the same change that this forum recently made, I want to gather some feedback and/or advice on what to expect as that forum makes the transition.

Thank you all in advance!

We've lost the preview feature we had before submitting a post, which increases the instances editing is needed, and the two-fer is that the edit function is working much slower. So for me, calling it an upgrade is maliciously false advertising.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

We've lost the preview feature we had before submitting a post, which increases the instances editing is needed, and the two-fer is that the edit function is working much slower. So for me, calling it an upgrade is maliciously false advertising.

Oh damn :/ I like the preview function too. Huh, I notice for edits, there's an option to state why you're making the edit. do any of you use that?

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The new quoting system is fun!

It is! I especially like how I can just highlight the parts I want to quote. I also like using the "@ member" system, it's pretty neat.

6 hours ago, Leap said:

The updated forum gets a lot of stick, but the only issue I've had with it is deleting quotes that I don't want. That works about 50% of the time. 

I can't really see how the ability to follow people is better than the old Friends function, but it's not like either are that important - it's a lit forum, not Facebook or Twitter. 

Otherwise: no real complaints. 

That was something I couldn't figure out for a while: how to delete quotes. To delete, just hold Ctrl and right click, and you'll be given the option to delete. I'm still getting used to it.

As for following, I'm not sure what to make of it. I think the Friends function works just fine. But like you said, it's not all that important.

Thank you all for the feedback! :)

We can no longer post images either but i'm not entirely positive thats due to the "upgrade", it may have been a security issue?

On a happy note we still have videos!

As to using the option of a reason for the edit, I dont understand its purpose so I dont use it. The few times I tried to use it, it didnt appear to function and after several long attempts I just gave up. Does anyone know what the purpose of the "reason for edit" function is btw?

9 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I miss the friends function.  I was friends with Joe Abercrombie. I was cool.  Now I'm just another of his subservient minions. 

If you see above, you now have the offer of being the minion of Howdyphillip. That has to be an upgrade, somehow.

I mean, who is this Abercrombie guy anyway?

On 24. 5. 2016 at 6:52 PM, Maester Drew said:

It is! I especially like how I can just highlight the parts I want to quote. I also like using the "@ member" system, it's pretty neat.

Hey, that is actually a thing! I never realised. As to the @-thing, my name is not at-Buckwheat and you are not at-Maester Drew, so I disagree with it. It just looks bizarre to put a random sign in front of the name.

The member profiles are now public also to non-registered people, which is something that I find annoying and terrifying.

On the other hand, the round avatars look nice.

And the best improvement is the group PM option, IMO.

Archived