I'm torn - should I watch S6 or not?

McBaine

I read all the books and was a fan of the show when it started, but I really did't like the direction the show producers took it (and that is a really nice way of stating my opinion about this). I watched the previous five seasons and liked it in parts but got extremely disappointed and angry at others.

Now we have season 6 and I haven't watched a single episode yet. The reason is, that I fear "spoilers" the showrunners may have gotten from G.R.R. Martin since some of the Storylines are still not at the stage of Book 5 (Arya or Sam for example), but some are (Jon and Bran for example).

My question would be how much the show goes into this spoiler territory and how is it holding up for the storylines that aren't yet up to date with the books? Do you think it is worth watching, or should I stay away?

I thought s5 was crap and 6 will be a waste of time plus a book spoiler but I couldn't help not to watch.  I think it is a bit better than 5 with several entertaining scenes.  Many plot turns are not from Martin and insanely stupid but I won't "spoil" it for you.  There are also plot parts that are clearly from Martin so yes, watching it will spoil the book surprise.   So far I don't regret watching.  It is up to you, how much you value the value of surprise when reading the book...  

I don't think there have been many spoilers so far, but it has just been awful. If you think you can avoid hearing the spoilers from elsewhere I would advise you to leave it alone.

Tbh you will find it hard to avoid spoilers if you have friends who watch, or if you read theories on the net.

But yes, the show has spoilers for book 6. To be fair, most story lines are so mangled it is hard to tell whether they are really spoilers, and some characters are just recycling back through DwD territory. But there are some major spoilers mixed in with all that.

I read the books (and loved them), I love the show and in my opinion this season is on track to potentially be the best of all. If you can embrace the spoilers I think you are mad not to watch it.

In terms of quality this is getting widespread praise after the first episode (which had some criticism), there are clearly spoilers which can be easily found on other threads on this sub-forum.  So far most of the spoilers have been things that many have guessed already to be fair.

If you think you can somehow avoid spoilers until the books are finished, go ahead and skip the show.  If you're not confident you can avoid spoilers then your choice is between reading some random comment/headline that gives away character fates or watching it happen in the show yourself.  

I have many issues with the show like just about everyone here, but I'll take the show spoiling me over some random Youtube comment or click bait headline. 

I'd just watch it. It WILL spoil the books on some level, the major plot points are already being revealed. However some of it is making me more excited for the books, because the show is like reading the plot summary on wikipedia, really you want to get the whole thing. 

A number of recent revelations are making me very interested in how exactly it will go down in the books.

It depends on your attitude to being spoiled is.  Let's assume for a moment that Jon will kill Sansa (I'm just making something random up).  If the fact that Jon kills Sansa bothers you, I wouldn't watch the show.  If you care about the context of why Jon kills Sansa, I would say watch away.  There have been massive character motivational problems in every episode this season, and important plot points seemingly stripped of all context.  

Now, if you hated Season 5, season 6 accomplishes the impossible and becomes even worse by a pretty impressive margin.

I would say watch it. Long time book fan, generally I enjoy the show but thought last season was pretty weak. To me this season so far  has been one of the best seasons to date though. It may help that for a lot of plot points you don't have a 'script' to compare it to though. Or that I finally accepted the fact that there's a lot of motivational or peripheral stuff that they simply can't do.

Anyhow, If your level of interest in the books is enough that your posting on these forums though, then chances are your looking at stuff elsewhere, talking about it with friends, etc. Which means going to be spoiled at some point. Would u rather read it in an article / comment here / friends off-hand remark or watch it on to show? That's the question.

There are definetly spoilers on the show, however you just never know if it's going to be exactly the same in the books, completely different or more likely similar but with much more context and meaning in the book.

2 hours ago, Perfidious Algernon said:

There's no way to tell if it has book spoilers until the book actually comes out, but the short answer is yes: watch it. I almost quit the show after season 5, but this season is really, really, really good so far.

D&D have said repeatedly that GRRM has told them how the major storylines in the series will end. They will change details along the way to suit television, but the overall outcome for most characters will be the same.

Take the resurrection of Jon for example. The process might be slightly different in the books, but the actual outcome of Jon coming back will be the same. So although many readers will have already guessed that Jon isn't gone for good and probably won't consider his return to be a massive spoiler, it actually kind of is...

This is probably true of Daenerys surviving Vaes Dothrak, and Hodor's death. Little details may have been changed, but the outcome will be the same. Indeed, D&D have already confirmed that Hodor's fate / origin story was taken directly from GRRM, so we know that wasn't their own invention.

I think people are fooling themselves if they believe that the books will end up telling a completely different story.

On 24/05/2016 at 3:12 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'd just watch it. It WILL spoil the books on some level, the major plot points are already being revealed. However some of it is making me more excited for the books, because the show is like reading the plot summary on wikipedia, really you want to get the whole thing. 

A number of recent revelations are making me very interested in how exactly it will go down in the books.

I think personally that there are still three books left to finish the story. I say this because if you add together what we know will be in WOW, and what we think will be in there, you have a complete book that ends the middle section of the story. Leaving two more to finish everything off.

So we have

WOW 2017

Book after 2022

Book after that 2027

Assuming a good writing pace from here and assuming the later books are ever written in the first place. 

In an ideal world we would read the ending in print first, but we have to go with what we have. Scenes like the "Hold the door" one give me believe that while the ending might feel rushed on the show they will do it justice. 

So to sum up watch the show as it is the only ending you are likely to get, either in the next decade, or ever. 

Watch it. You'll be disappointed and angry at some things but sometimes there will be GRRM influenced scenes. or some changes you will not dislike. Some actors really made the part their own wich helps.

Also, it will make you appreciate the books a lot more and make it easier to wait for WOW.-_-

I can't understand the logic of anyone who believes it's spoiling the books. The storylines got so far derailed in season 5 that there's just no way to get back on track. For example, the main part of the KL storyline revolves around trying to get Margaery and Loras freed, whereas in the books they're not even locked up.

There have been some character deaths but if you remember in s5, almost every character who dies is still alive in the books so it's hard to consider it a spoiler. In fact of the material they're still adapting from released books, it hold barely any resemblance to the source material so I can't imagine they're somehow adapting material that hasn't been released with more accuracy.

There have been some major revelations but they just seen so un-GRRM-y that I'm fully expecting something different to happen in the books. Some of them depend of things that directly contradict facts GRRM has stated about his universe. So it's up to you. I personally don't think you have anything to worry about. I think when tWoW comes out we'll probably notice some similarities but it's impossible to tell what.

In terms of quality, s6 is much more fast paced and exciting than s5. It doesn't have the same cerebral writing of the books, and therefore previous seasons, but it is still pretty enjoyable for me.

I would not watch it if you managed to resist so far,or at leat wait until the whole season is out and then ask about potential for spoilers. The truth is that so far there has not been anything major spoiled, but that could easily changed in the later episodes, especially E9. As of now, the only big reveal that couldn't be easily predicted from the books is the origin of WW, bug the show completely glossed over that. It's literally a 2  minute scene. Depending on which characters/storylines you like, you might be a bit underwhelmed though.  But once you start watching you might not be willing to stop mid-season so I would wait until it's all out. I wish I had your self control haha.

Have you been able to avoid spoilers? I find that virtually impossible with GoT so I watched. I still enjoy it for the most part, there are good scenes and there are bad scenes. If I was confident I could avoid spoilers I might be tempted to wait for the book but I'm pretty sure I would have heard at least 2 major book spoilers already and another one we could guess was coming.

If I were you I would watch it. I love the books and the show - albeit series five tested my patience numerous times. However this year it has been a very strong year and like people have already said the stories are far apart from their book counterpart. Plus a lot of the stuff is just going back to the previous two books.  

I would rather be spoiled from the show than just see a stray spoiler tweet, headline etc. A lot of people are very careless and I know plenty of my friends, book and show only fans, who have had stuff spoiled on social media. Also without being overly pessimistic we have no real idea when the next book is going to be out. I personally could not wait. 

Archived