So is GOT just going to Ignore Ser Meryn Trant's Death

King Perkis

Just now, Soccer69 said:

While were on the discussion of the Kingsguard, why was Sir Gerold Hightower cut out of the TOJ flashback.  I don't understand the big deal of just keeping the numbers the same (7 for Ned and 3 for KG) on each side.

Cheaper to just give Arthur Dayne two swords instead ;) 

2 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

That may be, but have we seen them at all thus far in this season or much of last season? They've really shrunk the world down by making it seem like King's Landing is populated with less people.

And based on what I've seen, I believe the Tyrell army is going to be the leading force. There is a photo of Jaime and Mace (in that ridiculous helmet) leading an army, and I think they are Tyrell men. Otherwise, they could have had the Gold Cloaks and Lannisters lead an attack against the HS. But again, logic....

Well in the shows defense, and I may be wrong here, but the books seem to tone down much reference to the Gold Cloaks after the Battle of the Blackwater. So like outside of Administrative positions (being mentioned for manning a gate that a character approaches, etc.) I don't remember them playing a crazy role in the past book or so.

8 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

While were on the discussion of the Kingsguard, why was Sir Gerold Hightower cut out of the TOJ flashback.  I don't understand the big deal of just keeping the numbers the same (7 for Ned and 3 for KG) on each side.

Hightower was the guy fighting alongside Dayne. Whent was the one MIA(or maybe he’s helping Lyanna deliver her baby) .

3 minutes ago, Grayce Hornwood said:

Cheaper to just give Arthur Dayne two swords instead ;) 

but don't worry, that budget cut was well spent on the CGI of the two horse statutes outside of Vaes Dothrak (which were miles away from even being somewhat similar to the same horse statutes from season 1) but then again, logic.

The crown most likely wants to be silent about Meryn Trant's death due to similar reasons why the unsullied didn't want to speak about the soldier who died in a brothel.
The kingsguard have sworn to not father a children and thus a kingsguard found dead in a brothel would bring shame on the whole brotherhood. (Though kingsguard has had many knights shaming it over the centuries.)

1 minute ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

Hightower was the guy fighting alongside Dayne. Wenth was the one MIA(or maybe he’s helping Lyanna deliver her baby) .

Or Maybe Whent was at the Trident because being a native of the Riverlands he would be in a good position to give wise council to Rhaegar about his battle strategy.

1 hour ago, Soccer69 said:

Maybe this has been discussed already in another thread and if so my bad for making another.  Just something I have wondered and maybe I missed it in the beginning episodes, but Mace Tyrell is back in King's Landing, Ser Meryn Trant is missing and presumed dead by everyone (I am assuming), there is now a vacancy on the King's Guard, and there has not been a mention of this at all in the show. At this point I am assuming D&D are just going to scoop this under the rug and there is little chance this small plot gets some closure. Either way, I understand this isn't the most pressing thing going on in the show but it seems odd.

They probably figure he is with Gendry, Beric, and Thoros. 

2 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

Hightower was the guy fighting alongside Dayne. Wenth was the one MIA(or maybe he’s helping Lyanna deliver her baby) .

If that's the case why was Hightower depicted as a joke of a fighter and no where near the height and size that he should have been.

3 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

Are we sure it was Hightower that was cut out? I don't think we ever got confirmation of the name of the knight with Dayne. I swear somewhere I saw that knight is Hightower, meaning that Whent got cut out.

Either way, I agree with you. I'm generally fine with the show veering off from the books, but this is such an iconic scene for book readers. It was annoying that they changed it for seemingly no reason.

2 minutes ago, Lady Kitty Heartless said:

The crown most likely wants to be silent about Meryn Trant's death due to similar reasons why the unsullied didn't want to speak about the soldier who died in a brothel.
The kingsguard have sworn to not father a children and thus a kingsguard found dead in a brothel would bring shame on the whole brotherhood. (Though kingsguard has had many knights shaming it over the centuries.)

Idk about that.  Unsullied weren't bringing shame for being in Brothel, the dude just wanted to be small spoon for a bit. LOL. But for the crown, having a vacancy I feel is more embarrassing than filling the role, because the longer the vacancy the more there are rumors.  Further, Trant was a joke and everyone knew that (including the two Lannister guards in the brothel with Trant watching him say "younger"), so removing the guy and put a somewhat respected person in place can only be for their benefit.

2 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

If that's the case why was Hightower depicted as a joke of a fighter and no where near the height and size that he should have been.

Well, maybe they had Ned kill him fast, to make us understand that Ned was also a very good fighter. But Dayne was just 1000 times better than all of them.

6 minutes ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

Either way, I agree with you. I'm generally fine with the show veering off from the books, but this is such an iconic scene for book readers. It was annoying that they changed it for seemingly no reason.

Presumably the reason was to further emphasis how good a fighter Dayne was. 3 vs. 7 is impressive, 2 vs. 7 (with 1 of the 2 dying quickly) is even more impressive.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Presumably the reason was to further emphasis how good a fighter Dayne was. 3 vs. 7 is impressive, 2 vs. 7 (with 1 of the 2 dying quickly) is even more impressive.

Then just have Whent die quickly as well? I don't know. Maybe Whent is there, but is in the tower. Could give us the answer to who else was there when "They" find Ned holding Lyanna's body. Still, in the book, it sure seems like Whent was with the other 2 KG (outside the tower) when Ned + 6 arrive.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

It was Ned and 5 friends against the 2 KG in the show and two of Ned's pals went down before it was just Dayne (I understand Reed got back up to kill Dayne in the end but you get my point). Either way I get what you're saying.

15 minutes ago, good girl said:

Or Maybe Whent was at the Trident because being a native of the Riverlands he would be in a good position to give wise council to Rhaegar about his battle strategy.

He should have been at the tower, even in the show. If you pause this video at 1:05 you`ll see (look at the left page)  that Hightower is mentioned dying there with his brothers Dayne and Whent. Not the first time the show contradicts itself.

Considering that in KL they don't care at all about a giant zombie walking through their halls, why should they care about a missing KG?

And wait, who did zombified Gregor replaced in the guard in the show? In the books it was a guard that went to Dorne with Myrcella. So maybe Gregor replaced Meryn "off screen" right when the word about his death reached KL? Considering LF's pocket teleporter, a raven or something reaching KL that fast shouldn't be a big problem for the show's logic, I guess.

1 hour ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

Are we sure it was Hightower that was cut out? I don't think we ever got confirmation of the name of the knight with Dayne. I swear somewhere I saw that knight is Hightower, meaning that Whent got cut out.

IMDb says it was Hightower, but who knows how accurate that is.

5 minutes ago, therealbando said:

He should have been at the tower, even in the show. If you pause this video at 1:05 you`ll see (look at the left page)  that Hightower is mentioned dying there with his brothers Dayne and Whent. Not the first time the show contradicts itself.

There may still be more to come on this though, even in the books. I believe there is a possibility that one of the KG survives the ToJ, and maybe Whent is that one and goes into hiding as a result (for some reason). So everybody thinks he's dead, but he isn't.

It's a long shot, but Ned's fever dream never confirms that ANY of the KG die at ToJ. It's very, very strongly implied, and probably all 3 of them died there. I think Martin left himself some wiggle room though.

Anyway, we are supposed to see more of ToJ-aged Ned this week. I don't know if he'll actually BE at the ToJ, of course...

Archived