So is GOT just going to Ignore Ser Meryn Trant's Death

King Perkis

On May 24, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Grayce Hornwood said:

The show has shown time and time again that they have no regard for how long it takes for information, or people for that matter, to get from one place to another. Case in point: how Littlefinger was able to get from the Vale to the Wall in what's only supposed to be a couple of days.

But like you said, minor detail ;) 

ETA: When Arya kills Trant, it happens after dark. Cersei does her Walk of Shame during the day, so it's unlikely the two events happened at the same time. Possibly the same day, but who knows. D&D are not known for their consistency.

Do some people really think this (or any) show's action happens like the show 24? Like in real time of the hour you're watching, is also the hour everything you're seeing is happening, and not outside that time period?

If so, I find that odd.

I rarely think anything is happening simultaneously, unless they go from scene to scene and back and forth a few times. Otherwise, I pretty much assume they're different days/times entirely, and it never bothers me - just like I don't think the action on Blacklist happens in 44 minutes - in their real time, or any other show on TV, even if it all happens in the same location, unless that is the actual hook, and it's pretty much stated or shown as one continuous scene.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to watch ANYTHING, it would bug me too much.

On May 24, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Soccer69 said:

but don't worry, that budget cut was well spent on the CGI of the two horse statutes outside of Vaes Dothrak (which were miles away from even being somewhat similar to the same horse statutes from season 1) but then again, logic.

Or maybe they stole or had better ones made? Things have been happening there since season 1. It's not like they're A Dragonfly In Amber... 

Time passes.....

15 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Trant  was an utterly insignificant figure in the history of the KG and was murdered (possibly robbed) in a Bravosi brothel. Pretty cut and dried.  I don't see the Tommen "putting his best man on it".

He was literally the face of the KG throughout the entire series so far.  That is excluding the Hounds 10 minutes of being a KG, Barristan's 1 minute speech before leaving the KG, and Sir Mandon's spear in the face.  Don't see the need to put Tommen's "best guy" on it but he is a guy that has been seen relatively consistently since season 1 and a 1 sentence by another character saying the replacement isn't that much to ask.  Literally during Pycell's rant about Sir Strong (i believe episode 4) he could have said, "just because Trant was a terrible KG doesn't mean the King should replace him with an abomination (Strong)." That took a whopping 3 seconds and has more substance and closure than some other lines spoken throughout the show (ie I have two warts on my dick).

10 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Or maybe they stole or had better ones made? Things have been happening there since season 1. It's not like they're A Dragonfly In Amber... 

Time passes.....

I mean that's one way to look at it but I was only stating that in reference to the whole limited budget, only 10 hrs per season, blah blah blah.  So realistically this seems like a waste of money for like a 2 second awe moment for viewers. But then again I'm not in control of the budget.

7 hours ago, Soccer69 said:

He was literally the face of the KG throughout the entire series so far.  That is excluding the Hounds 10 minutes of being a KG, Barristan's 1 minute speech before leaving the KG, and Sir Mandon's spear in the face.  Don't see the need to put Tommen's "best guy" on it but he is a guy that has been seen relatively consistently since season 1 and a 1 sentence by another character saying the replacement isn't that much to ask.  Literally during Pycell's rant about Sir Strong (i believe episode 4) he could have said, "just because Trant was a terrible KG doesn't mean the King should replace him with an abomination (Strong)." That took a whopping 3 seconds and has more substance and closure than some other lines spoken throughout the show (ie I have two warts on my dick).

Strangely, I'm not bothered by it.

17 hours ago, Soccer69 said:

I'd say Jamie is "the face of the Kingsguard", with Barristan 2nd, followed by "Fuck the Kingsguard" Hound. Trant beats little girls, and Joffrey wasn't much of a king. Not a very good face, and probably more associated with the Gold Cloaks and Janos Slynt in show minds.

12 hours ago, Soccer69 said:

I mean that's one way to look at it but I was only stating that in reference to the whole limited budget, only 10 hrs per season, blah blah blah.  So realistically this seems like a waste of money for like a 2 second awe moment for viewers. But then again I'm not in control of the budget.

How much do you think non-animated 3D art costs?

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Strangely, I'm not bothered by it.

Neither am I.

I suspect that when the time comes for the KG to play more of a role, we'll be acquainted with who they currently are.  They may not need them much at all in the grand scheme from this point on... we'll see.  Just like Yara was doing nothing for a season... just like Gendry still rowing and the BWB still doing their thing in the Riverlands.

While it may happen slightly different in the books, the show seems to be painting the scenario as Cersei employing a Tyrell weakness against them.  We don't know what the HS told Tommen and in turn don't know what he told Cersei.  It's clear the HS is manipulating Tommen to spark more conflict, even violence so that he can spring his trump card.  In turn, Cersei is using the idea/threat that Margaery will have to atone in the same manner as she did.  Olenna IMMEDIATELY says, "that cannot happen...will not."  Cersei has now seen Olenna's weakness, her pride and the pride of her House.

So, if the Tyrells use force or the threat of force while the Gold Cloaks and KG stand down... it's going to reflect on the Tyrells.  No matter what happens then, Cersei is the short term winner.

I expect a misdirect... if there's a clash of Sparrows and Tyrells, the Tyrells should have the advantage... but if the HS dies as a result of this clash, then who would hold Cersei's trial?  It's got to drag on a little longer.  Sure it could be that the Tyrells win and the Faith Militant aren't exterminated, but it seems as though we've yet to hear Cersei's 'I choose violence' speech, nor have we seen Elder Brother Ian McShane.  Anywho... Cersei thinks she's positioned herself to weaken both the Tyrells and the Faith Militant, by what Tommen told her the HS said and by Olenna's reaction to an atonement.  I don't expect the HS was ignorant enough to tell Tommen anything that would ultimately be bad for him, it's a setup and Tommen and Cersei both fell for it.  Don't expect to see things exactly as they've been framed!

5 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I'd say Jamie is "the face of the Kingsguard", with Barristan 2nd, followed by "Fuck the Kingsguard" Hound. Trant beats little girls, and Joffrey wasn't much of a king. Not a very good face, and probably more associated with the Gold Cloaks and Janos Slynt in show minds.

How much do you think non-animated 3D art costs?

For Jamie, I didn't really view him as a KG until he returned from being captured by the North because at that point he was actually concerned with redeeming his name in the KG.  I understand he is continually mentioned as Kingslayer and murdering the mad king and the book mentions frequently how he became KG and all that.  But for me, for the first three seasons I viewed him more as just being associated with the Lannisters than KG. Again, that's just how I viewed him. I also see how you would see Jamie as the face.  I don't think Barristan would be second because he spent more time out of the cloak in the book and show than in the cloak (again I know the book and show continually mention his past deeds and all that so I understand why you would look at it that way too). And if were going with Hound as third the same could be said for Sir Mandon because his death and attempt to kill Tyrion is just as memorial and in my view brought up more in the books than the Hounds desertion.

For the 3D art, I'm not oblivious to the costs but it still costs money.  That was the only reason I said that and in my opinion the money could have been better spent.

3 hours ago, Ser Knute said:

I suspect that when the time comes for the KG to play more of a role, we'll be acquainted with who they currently are.  They may not need them much at all in the grand scheme from this point on... we'll see.  Just like Yara was doing nothing for a season... just like Gendry still rowing and the BWB still doing their thing in the Riverlands.

While it may happen slightly different in the books, the show seems to be painting the scenario as Cersei employing a Tyrell weakness against them.  We don't know what the HS told Tommen and in turn don't know what he told Cersei.  It's clear the HS is manipulating Tommen to spark more conflict, even violence so that he can spring his trump card.  In turn, Cersei is using the idea/threat that Margaery will have to atone in the same manner as she did.  Olenna IMMEDIATELY says, "that cannot happen...will not."  Cersei has now seen Olenna's weakness, her pride and the pride of her House.

So, if the Tyrells use force or the threat of force while the Gold Cloaks and KG stand down... it's going to reflect on the Tyrells.  No matter what happens then, Cersei is the short term winner.

I expect a misdirect... if there's a clash of Sparrows and Tyrells, the Tyrells should have the advantage... but if the HS dies as a result of this clash, then who would hold Cersei's trial?  It's got to drag on a little longer.  Sure it could be that the Tyrells win and the Faith Militant aren't exterminated, but it seems as though we've yet to hear Cersei's 'I choose violence' speech, nor have we seen Elder Brother Ian McShane.  Anywho... Cersei thinks she's positioned herself to weaken both the Tyrells and the Faith Militant, by what Tommen told her the HS said and by Olenna's reaction to an atonement.  I don't expect the HS was ignorant enough to tell Tommen anything that would ultimately be bad for him, it's a setup and Tommen and Cersei both fell for it.  Don't expect to see things exactly as they've been framed!

Idk, there was an interview (http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a45084/game-of-thrones-high-sparrow-spoiler/) with the HS actor and he was saying that his plot unfolds just as he planned but he becomes too obsessed with his own self and plan that he becomes blinded to others maneuvering behind him (cersei and Jamie) and because of this he is caught off his feet. So, I'd imagine he believes Cersei is coming and send Lancel to bring her in.  Then "I choose violence" happens. And then Cersei finds a way to kill abunch of people (probably with wildfire or some substitute) and that's how this series of events unfolds. I'm not real fond of this happening in this way but just one way of looking at it.

9 hours ago, Soccer69 said:

Idk, there was an interview (http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a45084/game-of-thrones-high-sparrow-spoiler/) with the HS actor and he was saying that his plot unfolds just as he planned but he becomes too obsessed with his own self and plan that he becomes blinded to others maneuvering behind him (cersei and Jamie) and because of this he is caught off his feet. So, I'd imagine he believes Cersei is coming and send Lancel to bring her in.  Then "I choose violence" happens. And then Cersei finds a way to kill abunch of people (probably with wildfire or some substitute) and that's how this series of events unfolds. I'm not real fond of this happening in this way but just one way of looking at it.

Yeah, I've seen the interview and believe it's likely that the HS gets his own comeuppance... just curious if it'll be this soon.  Such a buildup with no actual teeth from the FM, other than ransacking Petyr's brothel... etc.  They need to be a bit more capable or it'll feel awfully long and drawn out for no actual payoff.  

Maybe the show can just wrapup that storyline with this impending confrontation, but then what purpose does Elder Brother have?  Just to reintroduce Sandor?  I wouldn't put it past the show but there should be more of the sparrow/broken men arc.  We've seen very little of the smallfolk suffrage, except for the HS speaking on their supposed behalf.  

Is the show going to stay away from a clash of UnGregor with Loras and not have a trial by combat?  UnGregor needs to do more than mash some non-warrior's head into a wall.  It was a powerful scene/display, but I want to see him fight!

Could the show give us a rematch of Gregory/Loras?  Yes, and that probably won't happen in the books.  While some things have been spoiled, the show has done a good job of altering some major arcs and plotpoints so that the books will remain a bit different.  This would/could be another example...

On 5/24/2016 at 6:52 AM, Soccer69 said:

Maybe this has been discussed already in another thread and if so my bad for making another.  Just something I have wondered and maybe I missed it in the beginning episodes, but Mace Tyrell is back in King's Landing, Ser Meryn Trant is missing and presumed dead by everyone (I am assuming), there is now a vacancy on the King's Guard, and there has not been a mention of this at all in the show. At this point I am assuming D&D are just going to scoop this under the rug and there is little chance this small plot gets some closure. Either way, I understand this isn't the most pressing thing going on in the show but it seems odd.

Well, they seem to have forgotten Sansa Stark is running around Winterfell and now the Wall.  I would presume she is still wanted for regicide but I guess everyone forgot that since it was 3 seasons ago.

The show has too much to do to waste time telling us about every characters reaction to a tertiary characters death.

Also, every episode is equivalent to more than a month in Westeros. There has never been a teleportation or unreasonably fast journey unless you have a grudge and feel like ignoring reality.

Archived