Jorah going to Oldtown?

LadyAlisande

Dany sends Jorah on a mission to heal himself. So he will be investigating possible cures for grayscale. This will lead him either to the red priestess or some other such red faith mystic, or, since he may be distrustful of dark magic, more likely he will hear about how Shireen was cured in Oldtown and head there -- possibly meeting up with Sam and Gilly, and thus learning that his father Jeor's dying wish was for him to take the Black. Jorah may then be conflicted between his father's wishes and the threat in the north, vs. Dany's orders that he should return to her.

What do you think, any other directions Jorah could go? Aside from dying of grayscale, I refuse to accept that as a possibility. :P

This is probable.  Doesn't Jorah go to Oldtown in the books?  Everyone knows Oldtown is where the Citadel exists and that's where he will find a Maester to heal him. I agree this is very possible and yes, I agree, meet Sam and find out about his father, the White Walkers and then after being healed run to Dany to serve her and tell her to bring her Dragons to the REAL fight, to save the WHOLE world where he expects her to rule for sure with her Dragons!  YEAH!!

23 hours ago, LadyAlisande said:

What do you think, any other directions Jorah could go? Aside from dying of grayscale, I refuse to accept that as a possibility. :P

Jorah once told Dany they could escape to Asshai, and it would be hard for people to find them. I believe that is also where Melisandre claims to have learned shadow and blood magic. It would be interesting to send him there to find Moqorro, and to give us a glimpse of a place we've only heard rumors of so far.

33 minutes ago, Zenthious said:

Jorah once told Dany they could escape to Asshai, and it would be hard for people to find them. I believe that is also where Melisandre claims to have learned shadow and blood magic. It would be interesting to send him there to find Moqorro, and to give us a glimpse of a place we've only heard rumors of so far.

That would be super cool and I could see him being pointed in that direction as he starts asking around about cures. But if you think about it from the showrunner's perspective, that would be a tangential quest to the rest of the story; he wouldn't interact with any of the current characters. It would mean new characters, new locations. I don't think they have budget for that, nor time to tell the story. So if he goes that way, I don't think we would go with him -- he would disappear from the story for a while and be reintroduced in the next season, with a story to tell about how he was cured.

Also, I think Martin said at one point that the books would never actually visit Asshai. He might change his mind, he has been known to do so. But it seems more powerful to keep it mysterious.

3 minutes ago, LadyAlisande said:

That would be super cool and I could see him being pointed in that direction as he starts asking around about cures. But if you think about it from the showrunner's perspective, that would be a tangential quest to the rest of the story; he wouldn't interact with any of the current characters. It would mean new characters, new locations. I don't think they have budget for that, nor time to tell the story. So if he goes that way, I don't think we would go with him -- he would disappear from the story for a while and be reintroduced in the next season, with a story to tell about how he was cured.

Also, I think Martin said at one point that the books would never actually visit Asshai. He might change his mind, he has been known to do so. But it seems more powerful to keep it mysterious.

Spinoff time! 

But on a serious note, I can see Sam learning enough as a maester's apprentice to find a cure. Or at least he tries but Jorah survives long enough to download information to Sam. 

9 minutes ago, Drz said:

I think the Red Priestess we were introduced this episode will give Jorah a volcanic hand.

I believe this will happen too.

Although Jorah going to Oldtown would be great. I'd really enjoy him meeting Sam and knowing his father's will. 

14 minutes ago, Drz said:

I think the Red Priestess we were introduced this episode will give Jorah a volcanic hand.

She's in Mereen, though, and I don't think Jorah will go inside the city. I think he will head elsewhere.

Another possibility: he goes to Braavos and encounters Arya, and maybe the Faceless Men can help him.

Good point about the additional characters, budget etc. - but when I saw the scene on my rewatch, Asshai came to my mind quite clearly. It might not be fully irrelevant to the main story, because Jorah might also learn stuff about the old legends etc. there. But yeah, probably not worth the effort, from a series-production point of view. Oldtown seems more likely there.

I think Dany has seen the last of Jorah.  He has done all he can for her, this was the "Goodbye, we'll meet again" knowing you never will.  Jorah took that last look, saw Dany riding at the head of a powerful army with Daario by her side and knew it was time to leave.  I think this is especially true as what Jorah seems to have is known in the books a Grey Plague.  Greyscale begins in the extremities, the fingers and toes turn black.  Greyscale also isn't as fast as what's happening to Jorah.    Greyscale can be treated by amputation, washing in vinegar, limes and mustard poultices and by very hot baths. 

On 5/24/2016 at 10:22 AM, LadyAlisande said:

Dany sends Jorah on a mission to heal himself. So he will be investigating possible cures for grayscale. This will lead him either to the red priestess or some other such red faith mystic, or, since he may be distrustful of dark magic, more likely he will hear about how Shireen was cured in Oldtown and head there -- possibly meeting up with Sam and Gilly, and thus learning that his father Jeor's dying wish was for him to take the Black. Jorah may then be conflicted between his father's wishes and the threat in the north, vs. Dany's orders that he should return to her.

I think you posted the two most likely outcomes. I think Jorah staying east and getting a volcanic arm would be super badass. Not sure if it will happen--if it does, it won't be the Mereen priestess. It might be like Volantis or somewhere and then he might happen across Greyjoys. But him going (or at least attempting to go) to Oldtown seems like a good chance. You raise a good point that it would be a good way to finally start merging the Dragons-White Walker stories. Would he be willing to go back to Westeros yet though? Obviously, a whole lot has changed so I can't imagine anyone would care who he was, especially that far south.

The "I am your Queen and I command you to be healed" reminded me of the scene between Henry VIII and Charles Brandon in Tudors. King Henry also commanded Charles Brandon to be healed, and still died of his illness.

It would be interesting to have the whole Oldtown idea play out, but I'm just not convinced it will happen.

obviously cannot say if it will happen, but I agree Jorah going to Oldtown would be a way to make contact between Jon's lot in the north and Dany in the south. Maybe it isnt that sort of book, but generally we might expect somehow the separated heroes must be reunited. to fight together. Also, the books start to set a few scenes in oldtown and from a TV perspective it would help to have more characters there who we are already familiar with if there is to be something important taking place there.

I think he's definitely headed to Westeros, although we may not see him the rest of this season.

Unless I'm mistaken, book Jorah does not have greyscale. Jon Connington does. Where is Connington in the books? In Westeros, along with fake Aegon.

Since the showrunners thought fit to introduce the greyscale plot line even without the correct greyscale victim, I'm sure there is a purpose for greyscale being introduced in Westeros. Perhaps there is an outbreak there?

11 hours ago, LadyAlisande said:

She's in Mereen, though, and I don't think Jorah will go inside the city. I think he will head elsewhere.

She's not staying in Mereen though, she's going to Volantis. Easy for her to run into Jorah on the way there.

I think Jorah will go to Volantis. Run into Kinvara who will save him ala Moqorro & Vic and then bump into the Greyjoys who will take him to Mereen. It'll be a great scene after Dany has retaken Mereen and realizes she has no ships to get to Weseros and here comes her right hand man sailing in to save the day with an iron born fleet...

14 hours ago, Drz said:

Hoping this happens

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I think Jorah will go to Volantis. Run into Kinvara who will save him ala Moqorro & Vic and then bump into the Greyjoys who will take him to Mereen. It'll be a great scene after Dany has retaken Mereen and realizes she has no ships to get to Weseros and here comes her right hand man sailing in to save the day with an iron born fleet...

And after seeing the iron fleet and volcano hand Dany ditches that traitor Daario

Archived