Braavosi Play and what it foreshadows

Ghosts Lunch

Having recovered from my initial watch and Hold the Door Hodor, have started to pick apart the episode a bit more deeply and it appears to be really quite rich thematically

In particular the Braavosi Play regarding Westerosi Events

The immediate thing you notice is how they are portraying the liked characters like Tyrion, Ned in a negative light and Cersei and Joffrey positively which was quite funny

But looking more deeply

In TL;DR terms

• The Cloak - Ned actor tosses the Stark cloak to Arya, 
  • "Rang as False" - Brienne like actor accusation toward Sansa actor, 
  • Poisoning the Rum idea while Cersei actor drinks with Tyrion actor - Poison Cerseis wine with the Strangler with Tyrion nearby to be the Valonqar...
  • Sansa actress wanting to have the Cersei actress killed - Sansa to be the Queen who strikes Cersei down
  • Arya not liking the Sansa actress - Arya taking Jons side in the Stark civil war
  • Actor Cersei and actor Ned Throne dialogue - two sequences portraying Jon vs Sansa over the Robbs Kingdom and Jon vs Dany dispute over the Targaryen claim to the Iron Throne which is nicely reflected over the Mel vs Kinvara (book Benerro?) dispute of the PtwP identity
  • Then there's the bearing of Sansa actors breasts and discussion of "appetites" - Sansa/Alaynes Motherly hold over the powerful Sweetrobin and by extension the Vale and even larger given SR may be a kind of "anti-Bran".

Will start pointing out the cloak, Cloaks are fascinating symbolically, eg in the show Mance talks about giving Jon a different cloak (turncloak), that's what book Mance did when he didn't want to wear his NW cloak anymore. The skin cloak talk of the Pink Letter fascinates me, as it seems to be talking of Skinchanging, even "turning his skin inside out" which makes me wonder if it is portending Mance to become the Nights King of the books but I digress

We have Jon given a Ned cloak so consider this as Jon being in Neds position as the head of the Stark Household

LF puts the idea forward of an "army of your own" and Sansa has always been Cats daughter so there are very early signs of her taking over House Tully but anyway

So consider the discussion between Ned actor and Cersei actor for a moment. It's quite funny as it is an inverse of the S1 discussion of Ned only needing to have walked the steps to claim the IT etc but from a different angle consider it as "Ned Cloak man" and "Blond wig Woman"

“The Iron Thrones what I demand”
“You cannot”
“I can”
You Will Not”
“I Will”
“You Dare Not”
“I Dare Yes”

^^^ This quite possibly protends a dispute between Jon and Cersei as Jon dares to claim the IT on behalf of the Targaryen dynasty in place of the Lannister/"Baratheon" dynasty (Aegon in the books?)

But also Dany perhaps over the Targaryen dynasty claim, eg Dany isn't going to be happy if another Targaryen claimant comes along, whether it's Aegon or Jon etc in the books or just Jon in the show

*Of course we just saw the above sequence happen with Dany and the Khals...

“The line of succession”
“What’s that mean?”
“Proper Progression”
“What’s that mean?”
“The Lawful ascension”
“What’s that mean?”

This is fascinating also, as it can be considered to be talking about Jon vs Sansa regarding Stark lineage, eg Robbs Will for the books but also the placing of men and women in the pecking order (Rickon who is Robbs undisputed heir in the absence of both is a goner in books and show IMO) which is discussed in Dorne, but there's also the issue of bastardry and the show is also exploring "bastard power" this season (watch this space regarding Gendry) which puts all trueborns of both male and female before bastard-borns (even legitimised ones I think)

In terms of the show LF has done much mischief, put in Sansa's head she can be ruler/Wardenness of the North last season, and in S1 of The Door he has mentioned taking the Tully Army as her own and planted that idea in her head which points towards a Stark/Tully civil war

What gets really fascinating is if Rhaegar and Lyanna married before a Weir Tree, eg some Houses may not recognise Polygamous marriages and so to them Jon is Rhaegars bastard, however some may do so as Targs were ploygamous for centuries in which case Jon trumps Dany's claim as a trueborn.

Of course Dany the Conqueror can just claim it by right of Conquest anyway and people may back Jon even if they think he is a bastard anyway

Of course we just saw this play out in the Show version of the Kingsmoot, Uncle Euron came in and took the IT from the Son and Daughter of Balon Greyjoy via the "Iron Price", so imagine Aunt Dany taking the Iron Throne off nephew Jon via the "Dragon Price"

Archived