Have they lost it?

Lerxst

On 30 May 2016 at 6:29 AM, Lerxst said:

My thoughts on season 6 are pretty much that they are telling us to skip seasons 3-5. As you said, Jamie's character felt like he was developing and then, he backtracked - he's now the same hot-headed, incestuous idiot he was in seasons 1 and 2.

Daenerys now has her Dothraki back and is planning to take over Westeros... again. Bravo. Thanks for wasting out time for 4 years.

Whitewalkers are coming! Yep, we saw that and knew it in season 1. Nothing new here. Just tell me - how fucking slow do they move?? They seemed pretty speedy in Hardhome and the Night's Watch can move from point A to B in a matter of weeks. Why do the WWs take years to move that same goddamned distance?!

Jon is dead. Oh, wait, nope. Never mind, he isn't.

Arya wants to kill people in season 2 and trains in season 1. She gets stuck doing some boring crap in the last 3 seasons and now she's going back to wanting to kill people with her sword again. 

Brienne served Lady Stark, then swore to serve Sansa. Something happened for a little while somewhere and now she's back to serving Sansa.

Littlefinger is still a prick, being a prick, doing prick-like things.

Season 3 could have consisted of 1 episode that tied all the loser ends together (Kill Stanis and Tywin, Zombify the Mount... oh wait, he never really did anything than brutally kill people anyway. Never mind, he's still the same...) and left us at season's 6 doorstep.

And the writing feels like daytime soap opera quality. GRRM went on such an epic killing spree with his characters in the story, that there's really very little left to root for, or against. Some of the most fleshed out, developed characters have all been killed off. The ones they didn't kill off, they sidelined into sub-plots that go on forever without amounting to anything.

"OMG! Hodor died!!!" Who gives a rat's ass? From a character development standpoint, he was 1 dimensional - an huge oaf that only served as an oversize wheelchair. Had Bran actually discovered Hodor's past earlier and his background been developed, I might actually care.

Season 1 made me watch season 2 because it pissed me off. In a very, very good way. Seasons 4-5 made me watch season 6 because they pissed me off in the opposite direction... with boredom.

Hahaha hahaha!!! so well said, funny and intelligent!! Maybe you should write their scripts

On 5/29/2016 at 1:20 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yes I do agree. In some ways I really wish they'd just gone with Martins original plan and done he 5 year gap. It would have allowed a separation between book and show and would have solved a lot problems.

I've always though scrapping the 5-year gap was a terrible mistake. I never understood his reasoning on that. 

I think the problem this season is predictablity. Not talking about the book readers ofc, up to season 6 almost everything was unpredictable. Stannis sieged kings landing, he ll win, he ll lose we couldnt predict. Neds beheading, oberyns death, red wedding, siege of castle black, tyrion's trials. Only predictable thing for me was danerys will always be boringly lucky about everything. But this season we all knew jon will resurrect. We all knew he'll leave the watch. We all know bran will survive, we all know arya will save her life and escape, we all know rickon will die, we all know brienne and jaime will meet again, we all know the starks will build an army from wildlings and some loyal northern houses and we all know jon will defeat ramsey. Tommen's or cercei's death might be a surpise, lady stoneheart might be a big surprise, wall might collapse, surprise. But other than that everything is obvious.

Ofc dany might find 1000 more dragons on her way back but would we get surprised, no. It is known that she bribed grrm and everything will continue to happen in her favour. She will burn a tent, survive the fire and bam she will have a 100000 bloodriders. On her way back, just to give a dramatic speech, she ll find drogon. Iron islanders are on a race to provide her a fleet. She might fall from drogon and die, big surprise but other than that there are no surprises for dany. 

And killed, tortured, raped so many starks that they are out of tragedy other than rickon. On the contarary they start to bring them back to life. All of that cant be to lose the battle of winterfell.

this season everything is predictable unfortunatly.

8 hours ago, helter skelter said:

I think the problem this season is predictablity. Not talking about the book readers ofc, up to season 6 almost everything was unpredictable. Stannis sieged kings landing, he ll win, he ll lose we couldnt predict. Neds beheading, oberyns death, red wedding, siege of castle black, tyrion's trials. Only predictable thing for me was danerys will always be boringly lucky about everything. But this season we all knew jon will resurrect. We all knew he'll leave the watch. We all know bran will survive, we all know arya will save her life and escape, we all know rickon will die, we all know brienne and jaime will meet again, we all know the starks will build an army from wildlings and some loyal northern houses and we all know jon will defeat ramsey. Tommen's or cercei's death might be a surpise, lady stoneheart might be a big surprise, wall might collapse, surprise. But other than that everything is obvious.

Ofc dany might find 1000 more dragons on her way back but would we get surprised, no. It is known that she bribed grrm and everything will continue to happen in her favour. She will burn a tent, survive the fire and bam she will have a 100000 bloodriders. On her way back, just to give a dramatic speech, she ll find drogon. Iron islanders are on a race to provide her a fleet. She might fall from drogon and die, big surprise but other than that there are no surprises for dany. 

And killed, tortured, raped so many starks that they are out of tragedy other than rickon. On the contarary they start to bring them back to life. All of that cant be to lose the battle of winterfell.

this season everything is predictable unfortunatly.

The same thing has happened in the books.  Both the show and the books are still trading off of Eddard's death.  The show managed to shock a little bit more because it's promoted non-POV characters to be seemingly more important so that the audience believes no one is safe.  But in both the show and the books it's pretty clear that the main players are safe until the last book at least.  No way the likes of Jon, Dany, Arya, Bran or Tyrion are going anywhere yet.  I am not so sure about Sansa.  She'll survive until the last book/series though.

Tommen's toast BTW if Cercei's prophecy comes true.  And really he needs to be toast this season.

To answer the question, yes, I think they have lost it.  I've read the books but am not a book purist.  I know changes have to be made when bringing the written word to the screen and in the earlier seasons, I thought most changes were well handled.

However, in this and the previous season, the changes have derailed the story and often don't make sense and the character development which made the earlier seasons intriguing has more or less disappeared.

Add to that the rushed pace of the production that others have mentioned, and I wonder whether the show can ever recover.

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 10:46 PM, Pecan said:

How many versions of Batman have we had? Superman? Truthfully, 15 years is probably too soon. I'm sure you're right about that. But probably not 50 years before it's tried again. 

Yeah but with those characters you can tell completely different stories. And like plays, most are told over a few hours. And even then, we know that for example people are yawning at the idea retelling the same origin story for [insert well-known super-hero].

And it's a big difference to retell a whole story of hundreds of characters from beginning to end. You can't retell the same story over 80 episodes (or the 300 episodes a like-for-like retelling of the book would be) and expect viewers who have seen the original to tune in. I can't think of a single example of a series this long having been done before.

Noone is going to put up the money to remake this show. Why would they? The current series is about the most successful drama show in the world right now. The chance of any future remake surpassing this success is miniscule. And doubly so if it follows the books exactly, as unedited that would be unwatchable. Noone is going to cast the little kids as in the books. And so on. 

And you would have the added negative of a huge bunch of viewers saying so-and-so was not as good as the original so-and-so. Most definitely with the actors. You're going to have people complaining double - it's still not as good as the books, and it isn't as good as the original show!

You can't capture the zeitgeist twice and without the viewers the show is not going to get remade.

You are really never getting another version of this tv show. Not in your life time. It won't happen. Its hugely popular and the only reason to remake it would be to do it in a completely different manner, and nobody has to urge or money to do that. 

There might be a case of remaking it in 30-40 years time when nostalgia kicks in and people want their own version of it, but again that is pretty unlikely. More likely is that it will be forgotten, along with the books, and it might crop up on 'Stuff we liked liked in 2015' tv shows.

2 hours ago, Lord Greenhood said:

"Hold the Door!"

screamed GRRM in a panic, as he rushed towards the HBO building, a very small stack of papers in his hands. "Hold the door! I have like three Winds chapters here! Delay the season premiere! Delay!"

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Archived