question about the others

house of dayne

2 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

I don't mean all blades either and hadn't said that. I have been meaning that the Others have been shadowing Royce and are wary that he is the LC of the NW and his blade may be the same kind of weapon that killed the Others way back thousands of years ago.

The Others are not afraid of all blades, but they clearly think Royce is more than he seems and are analysing him, and his blade, and it's not until they are sure his weapon is mere normal steel that they grow in confidence and finish him while mocking. 

I personally thought that was rather obvious.

I do agree in the other topic that it could mean before Royce that the men were lost however.

It is heavily implied that Dawn was the sword which killed the Others during the first Long Night. Dawn has a very distinctive look to it, and as such it's implausible that the Others would confuse Waymar's non-Valyrian Steel sword with it.

1 hour ago, Maester of Valyria said:

It is heavily implied that Dawn was the sword which killed the Others during the first Long Night. Dawn has a very distinctive look to it, and as such it's implausible that the Others would confuse Waymar's non-Valyrian Steel sword with it.

Implied. Not confirmed.

Either way It is absolutely without doubt the Others are wary of Royces blade and are not confident and comfortable until they see the blade shatter. This is regardless of what the last heros blade was made of or looked like, be it like dawn, or dragonglass, or Dragonsteel whatever that may be. While we are on that topic though, i wouldnt be surprised if Dragonsteel turns out to simply be Valyrian steel, but a very older version of it which is in essence just a blade forged with dragon flame.

The Valyrians were not the first to do everything, they were taught to work iron etc, and they never created Dragons, dragons were everywhere. So its plausible to think somebody had created a blade using dragonflame in the forging a very very long time ago, but the valyrians just perfected it better later with their techniques and spells etc.

1 hour ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Implied. Not confirmed.

Either way It is absolutely without doubt the Others are wary of Royces blade and are not confident and comfortable until they see the blade shatter. This is regardless of what the last heros blade was made of or looked like, be it like dawn, or dragonglass, or Dragonsteel whatever that may be. While we are on that topic though, i wouldnt be surprised if Dragonsteel turns out to simply be Valyrian steel, but a very older version of it which is in essence just a blade forged with dragon flame.

The Valyrians were not the first to do everything, they were taught to work iron etc, and they never created Dragons, dragons were everywhere. So its plausible to think somebody had created a blade using dragonflame in the forging a very very long time ago, but the valyrians just perfected it better later with their techniques and spells etc.

I noted that Royce's sword wasn't Valyrian steel just to emphasise that the Others had nothing to fear from it. I agree with everything you've said about the Valyrians.

3 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

That's actually not implied at all.

3 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Could you provide a little text to back up your assertion?

4 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Either way It is absolutely without doubt the Others are wary of Royces blade and are not confident and comfortable until they see the blade shatter.

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice. They fixed on the longsword trembling on high, watched the moonlight running cold along the metal. For a heartbeat he dared to hope.

They emerged silently from the shadows, twins to the first. Three of them … four … five … Ser Waymar may have felt the cold that came with them, but he never saw them, never heard them.

^ self explanatory.They felt no fear of Waymar’s castle forged steel. Implies they were looking for something other than castle forged steel.

6 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

I guess the implication, due to a theory, is they were looking for a hero with a Valaryian steel sword which may or may not be “dragonsteel.”

This Great Other, as Mel names him has this enemy that supposed to be Azor Ahai & his flaming sword. The Night’s King on the other hand is supposed to the 13 LC who did some hanky panky with a woman whose skin was as pale as the moon & eyes like blue stars.

I’m asking cuz I don’t know:  which came first the Battle for Dawn or the Night’s King and where does Azor Ahai, Mel’s Rhllor nemesis fit?

In all honesty, we just don't know.

For all we know, after one is a Wight for a period of time, they become an "Other".

We also have the Black Watch battling at the fist and judging from what was said, "more than a few others". "The Fire stopped the Wights, but did almost nothing against the Others".

Where do they go in the day? Under the ground is only guess and Martin may be borrowing a tad from the Anne Rice book "The Vampire Lestat". In it, they can sort of hibernate under the ground as LeStat's mother(I can't remember her name...Lilith?) did that in order to travel more in the "natural world" instead of cities and the like. It's dark and shuts out the sun..that's all that's needed. The wights that attack Bran and party seem to bear this out.

Motivation? Hatred of Life...that's all that needs to be said. This has been a theme of undead in Fantasy quite a bit. How will they get through the wall..It's up to us to guess, but if someone held a gun to my head, they will get through the Watch gate as someone in the Black Watch(Alliser Thorne maybe? ) will betray them all and allow enough through to overwhelm whatever is there at the Night Tower.

Edit: Forgot my theory on Dragonsteel. I think it's made by using sorcery and forging with Steel and Dragon glass. Someone might need to trek to old Valyria to find out. Perhaps secret(scrolls and the like) are guarded by an ancient dragon...your guess is as good as mine.

On 27/05/2016 at 5:22 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

That's actually not implied at all.

On 27/05/2016 at 6:05 PM, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Could you provide a little text to back up your assertion?

Ok, it's not implied in the text, so I should probably have worded my assertion differently. However there are many excellent theories around Dawn's importance in this regard, including LmL's work, which lay out the evidence for this in a far more convincing fashion than I could manage. It seems to fit: an ancient magic blade with a weird colour and mysterious origins.

22 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I guess the implication, due to a theory, is they were looking for a hero with a Valaryian steel sword which may or may not be “dragonsteel.”

This Great Other, as Mel names him has this enemy that supposed to be Azor Ahai & his flaming sword. The Night’s King on the other hand is supposed to the 13 LC who did some hanky panky with a woman whose skin was as pale as the moon & eyes like blue stars.

I’m asking cuz I don’t know:  which came first the Battle for Dawn or the Night’s King and where does Azor Ahai, Mel’s Rhllor nemesis fit?

Battle for the Dawn came first, when the Others were defeated, and then the Night's King a few years later after the Wall was built. As for Azor Ahai etc, you can argue back and forth on that one ;)

Its my opinion that there has been two long nights before the events of the show. The first one hapend at the end of the great empire of the dawn durring the reign of the blood stone emperor also known as azor ahai. 

The second one came roughly 9000 years after the last durring the age of heroes. Now roughly 9000 years after the last the third long night is fast approaching.

Pretty sure their was only one long night, the Others just predate the LN by 9000 or so years

Its the reason the Empire of Dawn had to build the 5 forts, and possibly Oldtown and the Seastone chair were settlements that were cleansed.

Also Dawn probably the Blackstone

On 28/05/2016 at 10:03 PM, enoofu said:

Pretty sure their was only one long night, the Others just predate the LN by 9000 or so years

Its the reason the Empire of Dawn had to build the 5 forts, and possibly Oldtown and the Seastone chair were settlements that were cleansed.

Also Dawn probably the Blackstone

GRRM has stated that the Grey Waste does not connect to the Lands of Always Winter, which makes it very unlikely that there are Others living in that desert. The Forts may have been built to guard against the Shrykes and K'Dath.

Archived