House Hightower??

The Lord of Oldtown are arguably the third richest house in Westeros, and have played a major role throughout the centuries until The Dance. They have been noticeably quiet during TWO5K, besides a possible Ironborn incursion, what role will this Great House play in the coming Dany/Aegon fiasco and the War for Dawn?

4 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I think they'll declare for Aegon after his forces save Oldtown from the Ironborn attack, and he'll be crowned there like Aegon the Conqueror, as the crowd cheers for the mummer's dragon. 

I can see them declaring for Aegon, but shouldn't the Redwyne fleet get there first?

8 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I think they'll declare for Aegon after his forces save Oldtown from the Ironborn attack, and he'll be crowned there like Aegon the Conqueror, as the crowd cheers for the mummer's dragon. 

This, or something very close to it.

I think Houses Hightower and Redwyne might be on Aegon’s side already. House Hightower, of course, was the most prominent supporter of the greens in the Dance of the Dragons, and at least some Hightowers supported Daemon in the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

Notably, Lord Manfred Hightower heeded the advice of the High Septon, and refused to march with King Mern of the Reach against Aegon the Conqueror. Manfred opened his gates to Aegon, and Aegon was crowned by the High Septon, leader of the Faith, of which Hightower is the most prominent supporter. Hightower’s support of Aegon the Conqueror could foreshadow Hightower’s support of our wee Aegon. Whereas Daenerys has been uninstructed in the Faith of the Seven other than whatever Viserys has told her, Aegon is receiving formal instruction from Septa Lemore. Although the leading theory suggests that Lemore is Wenda the White Fawn, another theory suggests that she is Malora Hightower, called the Mad Maid.

Lynesse Hightower was wed to Jorah, but she abandoned him for a Lysene merchant prince named Tregar Ormollen. She became Tregar’s chief concubine and apparently rules his house. As the Ironmen invaded the Shield Islands and began raiding the Arbor, along the coast, and up the Mander, Lord Leyton Hightower was ordered by House Tyrell to see to his own defenses. He was reportedly locked atop his tower with the Mad Maid, where he had remained for over a decade, consulting books of spells. His heir Baelor began building ships, two more sons were tending to the defense of Oldtown and training recruits, and his youngest son was traveling to Lys to hire sellsails and to enlist the aid of Tregar Ormollen. First, we have the Lys connection with Varys. This by itself does not amount to much, but, Lys is one of the Three Daughters along with Tyrosh and Myr. The Three Daughters, of course aided the greens in the Dance of the Dragons. As our saga developed we learned of a trade war between Lys and Tyrosh. Myr was about to join Tyrosh, but curiously, the Archon of Tyrosh, the brother of the man who had been noted at the betrothal of Daenerys to Drogo, which had been brokered by Illyrio, offered terms to Lys to end the war. This appeared to be because the Golden Company, shockingly, had just broken its contract to fight for Myr. Could Illyrio be brokering a new alliance of the Three Daughters?

8 hours ago, No Regard Carrenard said:

I wouldn't mind reading Aegon dueling Euron in single combat, do you personally think  the Hightowers are Aegons "friends in the reach"?

Among many, my guess is Redwynes, Tarlys and maybe even Rowans.

3 hours ago, edd tollett:( said:

I can see them declaring for Aegon, but shouldn't the Redwyne fleet get there first?

Well, they have a long way to Oldtown and can we be certain their fleet is enought to take Ironborn? My guess is that they will kill many important people and Aegon will free them and this is why they will side for him.

7 hours ago, edd tollett:( said:

I think the Redwynes will head to the Arbor first, or maybe even to the Shields to prevent more Ironborn from coming through.  

Save for DoD they have always chosen the diplomatic way or one foot in each side in every war. Somehow with Margaery being the current lord's granddaughter i doubt they would fully declare for fAegon, it's probably gonna be another one foot in each side situation again

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

This, or something very close to it.

I think Houses Hightower and Redwyne might be on Aegon’s side already. House Hightower, of course, was the most prominent supporter of the greens in the Dance of the Dragons, and at least some Hightowers supported Daemon in the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

Notably, Lord Manfred Hightower heeded the advice of the High Septon, and refused to march with King Mern of the Reach against Aegon the Conqueror. Manfred opened his gates to Aegon, and Aegon was crowned by the High Septon, leader of the Faith, of which Hightower is the most prominent supporter. Hightower’s support of Aegon the Conqueror could foreshadow Hightower’s support of our wee Aegon. Whereas Daenerys has been uninstructed in the Faith of the Seven other than whatever Viserys has told her, Aegon is receiving formal instruction from Septa Lemore. Although the leading theory suggests that Lemore is Wenda the White Fawn, another theory suggests that she is Malora Hightower, called the Mad Maid.

Lynesse Hightower was wed to Jorah, but she abandoned him for a Lysene merchant prince named Tregar Ormollen. She became Tregar’s chief concubine and apparently rules his house. As the Ironmen invaded the Shield Islands and began raiding the Arbor, along the coast, and up the Mander, Lord Leyton Hightower was ordered by House Tyrell to see to his own defenses. He was reportedly locked atop his tower with the Mad Maid, where he had remained for over a decade, consulting books of spells. His heir Baelor began building ships, two more sons were tending to the defense of Oldtown and training recruits, and his youngest son was traveling to Lys to hire sellsails and to enlist the aid of Tregar Ormollen. First, we have the Lys connection with Varys. This by itself does not amount to much, but, Lys is one of the Three Daughters along with Tyrosh and Myr. The Three Daughters, of course aided the greens in the Dance of the Dragons. As our saga developed we learned of a trade war between Lys and Tyrosh. Myr was about to join Tyrosh, but curiously, the Archon of Tyrosh, the brother of the man who had been noted at the betrothal of Daenerys to Drogo, which had been brokered by Illyrio, offered terms to Lys to end the war. This appeared to be because the Golden Company, shockingly, had just broken its contract to fight for Myr. Could Illyrio be brokering a new alliance of the Three Daughters?

The connection with Lys is very interesting, also consider that a Hightower introduced Aegon IV to the mother of Sheira Seastar, again Lysene. I do not like the Lemore is Wenda theory at all, I feel it's among the worst supported theories out there, whereas a Hightower does actually fit the bill based on text provided, I also think Haldon might be Leyton, though less confident. Consider that Varys & Illyrio formed the group (Griff, Haldon, Lemore..ect..) ten years earlier to properly raise Aegon as Varys brags to Kevan:

"Aegon has been shaped for rule before he could walk. He has been trained in arms, as befits a knight to be, but that was not the end of his education. He reads and writes, he speaks several tongues, he has studied history and law and poetry. A septa has instructed him in the mysteries of the Faith since he was old enough to understand them. He has lived with fisherfolk, worked with his hands, swum in rivers and mended nets and learned to wash his own clothes at need. He can fish and cook and bind up a wound, he knows what it is like to be hungry, to be hunted, to be afraid. Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right. Aegon knows kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first, and live and rule for them". 

I do not believe they would simply trust anyone. It needed to be people who are going to be involved in the eventual conquest as well, a mutually beneficial alliance would seem most logical. The problem is most of the powerful families in Westeros were trying to prove loyalty to Robert back then. But there is one who are wealthy, involved in trade, heavily represent the faith of the seven & haveTargaryen ties that could totally fly under Roberts radar. 

The Hightowers:

"The Hightowers of Oldtown are among the oldest and proudest of the Great Houses of Westeros, tracing their descent back to the First Men. Once kings, they have ruled Oldtown and its environs since the Dawn of Days, welcoming the Andals rather than resisting them, and later bending the knee to the Kings of the Reach and giving up their crowns whilst retaining all their ancient privileges. Though powerful and immensely wealthy, the Lords of the High Tower have traditionally preferred trade to battle, and have seldom played a large part in the wars of Westeros. The Hightowers were instrumental in the founding of the Citadel and continue to protect it to this day. Subtle and sophisticated, they have always been great patrons of learning and the Faith, and it is said that certain of them have also dabbled in alchemy, necromancy, and other sorcerous arts."

"Learning and the Faith" practically describes what the two of them are doing for Aegon. And the reason i think their involvement in trade is important is that could be the tie to Illyrio who would surly have business in Oldtown. And they've also "pledged" themselves to the Targaryen's. Lord Leyton Hightower named two of his children Baelor & Alysanne:

"Three hundred years ago, when Aegon the Dragon landed beneath this very hill, the High Septon locked himself within the Starry Sept of Oldtown and prayed for seven days and seven nights, taking no nourishment but bread and water. When he emerged he announced that the Faith would not oppose Aegon and his sisters, for the Crone had lifted up her lamp to show him what lay ahead. If Oldtown took up arms against the Dragon, Oldtown would burn, and the Hightower and the Citadel and the Starry Sept would be cast down and destroyed. Lord Hightower was a godly man. When he heard the prophecy, he kept his strength at home and opened the city gates to Aegon when he came. And His High Holiness anointed the Conqueror with the seven oils. I must do as he did, three hundred years ago. I must pray, and fast.”

They have a history of involving themselves with the Targs, Otto Hightower was the primary figure behind the "greens" causing the Dance of the Dragons and ultimately weakening the family. If you believe Aegon isn't who they say he is it begins to make more sense. So their pledging themselves to the Targs in the past has proven to be questionable, they have definite self interest in gaining greater power.

So we've also been led to believe that Leyton & his daughter Malora "the Mad Maid" have been locked away in a tower for a decade:

“To be sure. Lord Leyton’s locked atop his tower with the Mad Maid, consulting books of spells..”

Well from what we know about Aegon he's been with Griff, Haldon & Lemore for about a decade too. Tyrion identifies Aegon & JonCon but cannot figure out who Haldon & Lemore are but fully believes they are pretending like all the rest. 

So I think Leyton might be Haldon and/or Lemore  more likely to be Malora than other candidates. The names are sort of similar which adds validity. Creating a story of being locked in the tower is a great way to prevent anyone from looking for you. They have everything to gain, if this is successful it would return them to the stature they havent seen since the Dance. 

From an Illyrio/Varys standpoint, with only the GC they do not appear strong enough to conquer & defend KL. And Illyrio has no ties to the faith of the seven but knows Aegon will need to be educated in it, and more importantly this alliance gives them another army in Westeros. 

Interestingly the two seem heavily in favor of aligning with Aegon with Dany, the reason may be this:

"If Oldtown took up arms against the Dragon, Oldtown would burn, and the Hightower and the Citadel and the Starry Sept would be cast down and destroyed."

So their resources cannot be used against Dany, even during the Dance the Hightower forces would not march on KL when the "blacks" controlled the city. Sam says this regarding the Leyton & his strength:

“My father always said he was as wealthy as the Lannisters, and could command thrice as many swords as any of Highgarden’s other bannermen."

That sounds like something Aegon may need before long. They don't resort to war often which would catch the Lannisters off guard. There's also this interesting tidbit:

"Ahead." Lemore's voice was shivery. "A light."

Maybe just a coincidence but the Hightower's house words are "We Light the Way."

Another piece of evidence lies in the reading from ADwD which Tyrion overhears Illyrio & Haldon having a heated discussion:

Illyrio says he wants to give Young Griff his blessings and has a gift for him in the chests. Haldon tells him there is no time for the litter.Illyrio gets angry and says there are things Griff must know.

Haldon eyes Tyrion and then begins to speak in another language. Tyrion cannot tell what it is but think it might be Volantene. He catches a few words that come close to High Valyrian. The words he catches are, queen, dragon, and sword.”

This to me doesn't suggest Haldon is a servant or someone hired by them to teach Aegon but rather someone involved in the big picture. 

• 1 year later...

Aegon has no navy and he is on the other side of Westeros, let alone that the Hightowers can raise a bigger army than Aegon has.

Even assuming, that the "friends in the Reach" isn't some half forgotten old fart like ser Eustace in "Sworn Sword" or Orton Merryweather and a bunch of other minor losers, if they exist at all, it would be anyone but Hightower and Redwyne. They are rich, they are powerful and they are heavily intermarried with the Tyrells. Margaery is Hightower's granddaughter and Redwyne's niece. Aegon doesn't have anything to give them that they do not already have.

By the way, Aegon fighting a duel with Euron. That's funny.

If Aegon tries to deal with Euron the man will kill him. He'll kill them all - Illyrio, Varys, Connington, the Martells. The man is a sorcerer. And he is a charismatic psychopath with connections to the Faceless Men who plays his cards very well. His enemies have nothing to challenge him. Nothing at all.

And even if he wasn't a sorcerer he has ships - Aegon hasn't any, nor has he any experienced admirals amongst his supporters. Paxter is a dead man rowing.

The Hightowers can't hope to gain anything from opposing Euron after he crushes the Redwyne fleet. He'll control the seas around Oldtown for years to come and they can do nothing about that.

They will ally with Euron to keep their city, their wealth, and their lives. They will not declare for some beardless fake Targaryen - and that's how they will see Aegon. The boy can conquer Westeros all day long - unless he conjures up some war galleys along with competent crews he has literally nothing to offer to the Hightowers. And to the southern Reach in general. They are at the mercy of King Euron now. If they don't bend the knee he'll ruin them all. And unlike Aegon or Tommen or Stannis he actually can do that.

Or does anybody think the Free Cities, the Summer Isles, the Ghiscari, the Ibbenese, the Qartheen, etc. will continue to do business with Oldtown and the adjacent lands if that means they have to risk losing their ships, cargo, and live to the hundreds or thousands of Ironborn long ships controlling the southern coasts and waters of Westeros? No? I thought so.

I actually like the idea that Aegon Targaryen is the real Aegon Targaryen. Three dragons = Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Aegon seems like a good match in terms of the prophecy. And I like the kid, he's got good heart. He was raised right, and views the throne not as his birthright, but as his duty. I think he would make a great king that could earn the epithet Aegon the Great ;D.

3 hours ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

I actually like the idea that Aegon Targaryen is the real Aegon Targaryen. Three dragons = Daenerys, Jon Snow, and Aegon seems like a good match in terms of the prophecy. And I like the kid, he's got good heart. He was raised right, and views the throne not as his birthright, but as his duty. I think he would make a great king that could earn the epithet Aegon the Great ;D.

Just be sure to let him win if you play cyvasse. 

Archived