NBA PLAYOFFS cont'd - Riders on the Storm

Relic

It's remarkable to see the Thunder win this once again in such a convincing manner even though I have to say Durant still isn't playing that great.

This has me worried. I get that he is suddenly defending much better, so that is a plus. But his shooting is off. I worry this will bite the Thunder at some point once Golden State gets going. 

Westbrook is truly essential here. OKC's play when he sits can be quite dreadful, with Durant playing point guard and that is not a good look. Similarly, Foye or Waiters are not near as good at bringing up the ball/driving to the lane/passing as Westbrook is. 

But with superb team effort and Ibaka, Adams, Roberson and Waiters performing at a higher level than in the regular season, these flaws are still being compensated for. Obviously it also doesn't result in a lost game because the Warriors are dealing with much bigger problems still. Just saying though, OKC could be better than what we see once Durant really starts hitting them.

I do not follow the NBA that much nowadays, time difference is just too big a barrier. But I did manage to catch a few of the warriors game in the weekends during the regular season. In my opinion, Curry takes a lot of bad shots, that is shots that you are taught not to take. But the thing is he made those shots and the result was just spectacular. Nothing can demoralize an opponent more than those insane shots. I mean how do you play him when he can seemingly score from pretty much anywhere on the court and does not even have to be open in the traditional sense? But now the shots are not going in and we are seeing them as what they are, ill advised. May be the injury is a factor, the guy did score an ungodly amount of points against the same team in the regular season. And also Durant has been a spectacular two way player and Russ is just physically overwhelming the GS back court. And Green; Jeebus, he has completely melt down. 

46 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I was just thinking about turning the game on, then I saw the score. :(

Same.  I think I will find something else to do...

I'm was skeptical of the Thunder hiring Billy Donovan. College to Pro coaches just don't usually work out all that well. That being said, watching his adjustments and having the moxie to go big with Adams and Kanter has been huge. He is definitely an elite coach with the ability to change up game plans to confuse their opponents. 

GS might win game 5, but I don't think so. They have all the momentum. Westbrook is clearly on another level right now. Durant has been steady. And, most importantly GS looks like a team that doesn't have an answer to the Thunders length on offense. The usual open spot ups that are easy buckets for them all year long, have been contested and taking them out of their rhythm. The last two game a GS has looked like a defeated team. I expect it to end and the Oracle.

So if the Raptors were going to win the ECF, the way to do it was to take the momentum from games 3 and 4, continue to play good defense, and stay aggressive on offense, and win games 5 and 6.  They did none of those things last night.  The game felt over after ten minutes, and I didn't even bother finishing the first half because it was just so obvious they weren't coming back.  It was a good reminder of why I thought this series was so over after game 2.  Maybe the Raptors can suddenly start playing real ball again when they're back in Toronto, but I kinda doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

On a scale of 1-10, how nervous are you about tonight?

You know what, I have no fucking clue or expectation regarding this game. I won't be surprised if they get buried, and I won't be surprised if they blow the Thunder out. I won't even try to make a prediction here.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

On a scale of 1-10, how nervous are you about tonight?

Good question.

Before the series i figured that if OKC would win it would be in 6, on their home floor. I just don't see them winning an elimination game in GS. However, i had no idea the Thunder would snatch the thunder's heart out like that dude in The Temple of Doom. http://postimg.org/image/8g9lk56t7/

(if anyone has decent PS skills maybe you can make that look like it wasn't put together by a spastic 4 year old?)

Who else is excited about The Ringer launching next week?

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You know what, I have no fucking clue or expectation regarding this game. I won't be surprised if they get buried, and I won't be surprised if they blow the Thunder out. I won't even try to make a prediction here.

Yeah I feel the exact same way. I have no confidence making any kind of pick, primarily because I have no idea what to expect from Curry and Green. Literally anything could happen. 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Good question.

Before the series i figured that if OKC would win it would be in 6, on their home floor. I just don't see them winning an elimination game in GS. However, i had no idea the Thunder would snatch the thunder's heart out like that dude in The Temple of Doom. http://postimg.org/image/8g9lk56t7/

(if anyone has decent PS skills maybe you can make that look like it wasn't put together by a spastic 4 year old?)

Same. I thought it would be GS in 5 or OKC in 6. That said, if GS can pull it off tonight, I'm gonna take the cowards path and say whoever wins game 6 wins the series. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Who else is excited about The Ringer launching next week?

I definitely am. Been enjoying the Simmons podcasts to tide me over in the meantime though when it comes to the NBA his takes often way too simplistic compared to the nuanced analysis Zach Lowe provides. Still fucking dumb that they can't go on each other's podcasts anymore. They balance each other out nicely. Lowe needs to ditch ESPN. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Same. I thought it would be GS in 5 or OKC in 6. That said, if GS can pull it off tonight, I'm gonna take the cowards path and say whoever wins game 6 wins the series. 

In my view, even if GS wins tonight (and I think they have a 50/50 shot with their homecourt advantage), the Thunder are still the heavy favorite because GS couldn't even touch them in OKC. That said, a win here at least puts the pressure on the Thunder. It still remains to be seen whether they'll revert to headcase status in close games as they were during the regular season. Of course getting to a close game against them is most of the battle to begin with....

12 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

In my view, even if GS wins tonight (and I think they have a 50/50 shot with their homecourt advantage), the Thunder are still the heavy favorite because GS couldn't even touch them in OKC. That said, a win here at least puts the pressure on the Thunder. It still remains to be seen whether they'll revert to headcase status in close games as they were during the regular season. Of course getting to a close game against them is most of the battle to begin with....

It is way the Thunder's turn to have a meltdown. C'mon guys, it's only fair. I'm looking at you Russ.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It is way the Thunder's turn to have a meltdown. C'mon guys, it's only fair. I'm looking at you Russ.

If Russell Westbrook ever goes full meltdown, it means we have to evacuate the 5 surrounding states. 

Archived