NBA PLAYOFFS cont'd - Riders on the Storm

Relic

Yeah I think it's going 7 with GS winning. For some reason I feel there's a mountain of pressure on OKC, and they won't hold up under it. 

Today we saw the same old OKC, full of hero ball, tunnel vision and isolation plays (and turnovers). They seem to revert to that style when pressured, and it does them in. 

1 minute ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

Yeah I think it's going 7 with GS winning. For some reason I feel there's a mountain of pressure on OKC, and they won't hold up under it. 

Today we saw the same old OKC, full of hero ball, tunnel vision and isolation plays (and turnovers). They seem to revert to that style when pressured, and it does them in. 

Eh, I thought they played pretty damn well. Seems to me it was more the Warriors finding their form than the Thunder reverting to it.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, I thought they played pretty damn well. Seems to me it was more the Warriors finding their form than the Thunder reverting to it.

For me it's both. Bogut being in was huge for GS, and they held serve and fought well. 

Okc put in a lot of effort and made a game of it, but I saw some of those same mental mistakes that plagued them in the the past. If they play that same style, to me they're not winning game 6. 

This game was a dagger straight to the heart. I sure as hell am gonna be depressed all day tomorrow now. The fact that OKC came so close (trailing by 5 with 2 minutes remaining) and couldn't close it was gut wrenching. Westbrook needs to slow down! Lead to too many turnovers at crucial times in the 4th especially when GS were on a hot streak.

Not surprised at all that the Thunder lost this one. I was sort of expecting a blowout before a possible game 6 win by OKC, so i think this game is actually a good sign for Oklahoma. I have to think they are going to be favored heading into game 6. 

Looking at the box score seems Morrow finally got some time off the becn. Went 4-4 in 10 minutes for 10 points. I was wondering why he wasn't playing at all in this series. Can anyone who watched the game comment on how Morrow did defensively? 

8 hours ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

My concern is similar. I very badly want OKC to win this.

However I have this nagging feeling, hopefully wrong, that they had to win game 5 just to have it done with.

Now they go back home and that should be a big advantage, two home wins under the belt and all.

But the pressure to win at home will be enormous. Will that help them, or work against them? 

You need to win that home game. Of course you could also say, it's still not over for OKC even if they lost at home, likewise the Warriors need to win very badly in game 6 as well. In a hostile arena.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

My concern is similar. I very badly want OKC to win this.

However I have this nagging feeling, hopefully wrong, that they had to win game 5 just to have it done with.

Now they go back home and that should be a big advantage, two home wins under the belt and all.

But the pressure to win at home will be enormous. Will that help them, or work against them? 

You need to win that home game. Of course you could also say, it's still not over for OKC even if they lost at home, likewise the Warriors need to win very badly in game 6 as well. In a hostile arena.

OKC was NEVER winning this in 5. Trust in 6. 

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

No chance of me watching it live though unless I really get up in the middle of the night.

Same here. My plan is to wake up early-ish and avoid all possible spoilers until i can download it. 

It was a very good game.  The Thunder showed a lot of fight even in a losing effort.  I think they'll take it on Saturday.

EDIT:  It was nice to see the Warriors role players stepping up.  Bogut and Spaights both had great games, and the Warriors are very tough to beat if they are getting that kind of production from secondary guys. 

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Looking at the box score seems Morrow finally got some time off the becn. Went 4-4 in 10 minutes for 10 points. I was wondering why he wasn't playing at all in this series. Can anyone who watched the game comment on how Morrow did defensively? 

He came in and drilled three shots immediately. Then I didn't see him. Not sure he even got to play again after that

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It was a very good game.  The Thunder showed a lot of fight even in a losing effort.  I think they'll take it on Saturday.

EDIT:  It was nice to see the Warriors role players stepping up.  Bogut and Spaights both had great games, and the Warriors are very tough to beat if they are getting that kind of production from secondary guys. 

I think the Thunder take it too. Homecourt advantage is massive in this series - both have rabid crowds. I mean I hope I'm wrong. I like OKC as a team a lot but have found myself getting emotionally invested in the Warriors which is weird for a non-DC team. Just such a fan of their style of play; when they're on it's unlike anything I've seen in on NBA hardwood. For them to set all kinds of records only to get knocked out in the WCF would be an immense blow. But wouldn't be able to say the Thunder haven't been the better team.

Regardless, I'm psyched we're getting a game 6. It would've been awful if this series never reached a pivotal moment. Imagine the urgency from both teams will be off the charts. I know I'll be white-knuckling every possession. 

I think the Thunder's explosive offense lead to too many turnovers in this game and GS were able to capitalize on that. They kept cutting down that lead to around 4 or 5 points but a ridiculous turnover gave GS that momentum usually on a fast break to create an easy shot and keep extending that lead. OKC had this game trust me. They need to learn how to slow it down a little bit, run the clock down to at least 4 or 5 seconds and penetrate as much as possible.

Archived