NBA PLAYOFFS cont'd - Riders on the Storm

Relic

Oh man this one is gonna take a while to get over. It's over for the Thunder now it really is. There's no way they're coming back from this and winning it at the Oracle. Jesus Christ what a shame. I mean seriously what a tragedy. OKC were this close to making history by Dismantling the only team that broke the all time record and now this. What a shame.

Yeah i'd go ahead and bet the house on GSW winning monday, and in absolutely dominating fashion. And Durant was considering leaving OKC? Bro everyone outside of you (and kinda Russ) put in a winning effort tonight. GSW had to get bailed out time and time again by Klay, and they found their footing overall at the end. OKC missed so many chances to step on their throats and end it. This one's on you guys, Russ and KD. 

Ladies and Gentleman, your Chokelahoma Shitty Blunder!

I suspected this would happen once the Thunder reverted to the idiotic "Walk the ball slowly upcourt, then waste another 6-7 seconds seconds trying to force the ball to Durant in a tough spot, then watch him completely ignore his teammates and force a bad shot" mode. Same thing happened over and over again in the regular season.

Donovan should have given KD and Westbrook a few more minutes of rest, both looked exhausted in the last 5-6 minutes. All the more reason not to play so dumb, but alas...

3 minutes ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

Yeah i'd go ahead and bet the house on GSW winning monday, and in absolutely dominating fashion. 

Early spread is 7. From 2.5 point dogs to 7 point favorites the next game, and I expect it to rise a little.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The Warriors finally getting to see what it's like to play against a good, healthy team in the playoffs.  Didn't have to do that at all last year.

Can we put this narrative to bed now please? I could ask who the Cavs have beaten to once again stroll into the Finals.

I can only imagine how horrible this is for an actual OKC Fan somewhere in Oklahoma. I mean how do you do this! How do you get so close and then just.....

They're not winning in GS. So now  We need some kind of  divine intervention from the Basketball Gods to stop Golden State

Credit to GS for fighting back, and blame to OKC for giving them every opportunity to do it. That about sums up games 5-6 for me. 

What's appalling to me is just how hard OKC reverted to their hero-ball, turnover infested play style (as David Selig says above). I suspect they're gassed--probably due to GS turning up the speed in games 5-6--because you can't just consciously, as a team, say "Ok you know that style that got us a 3-1 lead? Yeah let's not do that." It's like I was watching the Raptors out there. OKC can kind of get away with it thanks to their star power, but jeez good luck ever winning a title if you play like this. 

35 minutes ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

Yeah i'd go ahead and bet the house on GSW winning monday, and in absolutely dominating fashion. And Durant was considering leaving OKC? Bro everyone outside of you (and kinda Russ) put in a winning effort tonight.

Yeah.  Durant is showing, once again, he is not a winner.  Dude just shrinks under pressure on the big stage.

He is still supremely talented.  In theory, he can completely go off and do a Klay Thompson in Game 7.  But I'll have to see it to believe it.  

I really wonder what OKC players are thinking right now.  They killed themselves and basically did everything right, just to see their stars waste it away trying to play hero ball.  Not sure how you get motivated one day after that.

Though, a lot of the credit goes to GSW.  I am one of the those guys who think they have never really been tested in the playoffs in the last two years, but they indeed showed that they have the heart of a champion.

eta:  Heh, Jobronius basically stole my post as I was typing it...

19 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can we put this narrative to bed now please? I could ask who the Cavs have beaten to once again stroll into the Finals.

Well, they beat Detroit, Atlanta, and Toronto.  Teams that, you know, had better records than their comparable seeds that Golden State beat in the Rockets, Trailblazers, and Thunder.  Obviously the Thunder are a better team than the Raptors, but I'd say the Pistons this year were easily a better team than the Rockets, and the Hawks and Blazers are basically a wash.

And as far as last year goes, Cleveland won two rounds without Love and beat an over sixty win Hawks team basically without Kyrie too, and they also took two games from Golden State without both guys.

^Man this thunder team is alot better than the 55 wins they put in this year. They may never win the title, but they're always a very tough out in the playoffs (I think they're the second coming of the 90s Jazz, but different discussion). I doubted GSW before this series, and quite a bit when they were down 3-1. At this point I see them winning the championship. And they sure as hell will have earned it this year. 

Seriously though, it's kind of ridiculous an NBA CHAMPION has to validate one win by winning another. They came out on top last year, full stop. The only thing they'll prove this year if they win is that they put on the best season in NBA history. They don't need to prove themselves as champs, they already did that last year. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Well, they beat Detroit, Atlanta, and Toronto.  Teams that, you know, had better records than their comparable seeds that Golden State beat in the Rockets, Trailblazers, and Thunder.  Obviously the Thunder are a better team than the Raptors, but I'd say the Pistons this year were easily a better team than the Rockets, and the Hawks and Blazers are basically a wash.

None of those teams can hold a candle to this Thunder team. The point is, you can only beat the team that is put in front of you. The Clippers should've finished off the Rockets last season. They choked away a 30 point lead in Game 6. That wasn't the Warriors fault. The Spurs probably should've handled the Clips prior to that. And it's the Warriors fault that the Cavs couldn't stay healthy? So tired of that narrative. This Warriors-Thunder series has been the most evenly matched series in this playoffs, and the Warriors just took back homecourt in Game 6 from a team that would crush anyone in the East outside of the Cavs. Put it to bed, please.

Archived