NBA PLAYOFFS cont'd - Riders on the Storm

Relic

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm with these guys. Great series.

Sorry, but most playoff series that go 7 are good, no way this stands up to the Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Jazz series where mutliple games go to the wire, and multiple bad guys should have been kicked out for firty play.  No chance any game is historic here.

It's down to personal preference. I don't like series where a team chokes. I certainly see why most people saw it as a great series though. 

Anyways, figured I might as well raise the question - should Durant really think about leaving? In my mind there's no way he's winning a title in the West. At least in the East he'll have a consistent shot. 

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Your obsession with devaluing the three pointer is getting tiresome. There are no players in the game who can shoot them like Curry and Thompson. That is a compliment to their skill, not a point for constant derision. 

Really?  Why not give 2 runs for ahomer in baseball? Three points for a goal beyong the blue line in hockey? Five points for a field goal over forty yards in football?  These changes fundamentally affect the game.  The three point line was set to be difficut, it has become easy for too many.  We can agree to disagree, but...my opinion has value and is certainly not tiresome.  Your insistence that anything you just saw is "historic" may be.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

As do I, a Knicks fan. 

I am a huge Phil Jackson fan, so his ability to add some skill and wins to a team that includes Carmelo is great.  Hope he stays to finish the job, worried he won't.

13 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Amazing series?  There were no close games and OKC choked.  Kinda awful actually.

Did you not watch any of the last three games? All were within 4 points with 2 minutes or so to go. All 3 were close games, as was Game One.  You had three blowouts in 2-3-4, but this far and away the best series of this postseason.

Looking forward to Cleveland. I'd like to see the Warriors put that "lucky" narrative to bed for good.

6 minutes ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

It's down to personal preference. I don't like series where a team chokes. I certainly see why most people saw it as a great series though. 

By definition, if a series goes seven games... Doesn't it generally mean one team "choked" their chance to win it in six?

3 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Really?  Why not give 2 runs for ahomer in baseball? Three points for a goal beyong the blue line in hockey? Five points for a field goal over forty yards in football?  These changes fundamentally affect the game.  The three point line was set to be difficut, it has become easy for too many.  We can agree to disagree, but...my opinion has value and is certainly not tiresome.  Your insistence that anything you just saw is "historic" may be.

But it's the same for everybody. And it's not like the three pointer was implemented last year or something. It's been around for 35 years.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Did you not watch any of the last three games? All were within 4 points with 2 minutes or so to go. All 3 were close games, as was Game One.  You had three blowouts in 2-3-4, but this far and away the best series of this postseason.

Looking forward to Cleveland. I'd like to see the Warriors put that "lucky" narrative to bed for good.

I am certainly not saying they are lucky. Thompson played great in game six and Curry can shoot like no other.  I do think he deserves the MVP.  I just wish the game were truer to its original nature.  Soceer, football, baseball fans would be furious at the basic and fundamental changes to the game NBA have allowed, in other sports it would not be tolerated.

1 minute ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I am certainly not saying they are lucky. Thompson played great in game threeand Curry can shoot like no other.  I do think he deserves the MVP.  I just wish the game were truer to its original nature.  Soceer, football, baseball fans would be furious at the basic and fundamental changes to the game NBA have allowed, in other sports it would not be tolerated.

Football?  I say we abolish the forward pass and bring back the flying wedge!

2 minutes ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

Anyways, figured I might as well raise the question - should Durant really think about leaving? In my mind there's no way he's winning a title in the West. At least in the East he'll have a consistent shot. 

It's definitely an easier road in the East but the issue is he'll almost definitely never be able to play with another teammate as good as Westbrook. Even on a bad night by his standards the guy put up a 19/7/13. And you can make a case based on this series the Thunder are the most talented team in the NBA, they just have spacing issues on offense (Roberson is the ultimate dual-edged sword) and they've shown to be head-cases in tight games. Still these things can be worked on but there's no substitute for talent and it's hard to imagine him ever ending up on a more talented team than this Thunder squad. 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Football?  I say we abolish the forward pass and bring back the flying wedge!

Agree, the sport is called Rugby and it is better than football.  Very happy we will get Premiere League Rugby in the U.S. soon.

1 minute ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I am certainly not saying they are lucky. Thompson played great in game threeand Curry can shoot like no other.  I do think he deserves the MVP.  I just wish the game were truer to its original nature.  Soceer, football, baseball fans would be furious at the basic and fundamental changes to the game NBA have allowed, in other sports it would not be tolerated.

Can't speak for soccer, but both MLB and the NFL have enacted rules changes that have been basic, fundamental changes. The DH rule in the American League, and changes to what is considered legal coverage in the secondary in the NFL. Games evolve as time goes on, and again, this is hardly a quick evolution. The NBA implemented the 3 point line back in 1980. We've just never seen two players on the same team that have been as proficient at it.

2 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

It's definitely an easier road in the East but the issue is he'll almost definitely never be able to play with another teammate as good as Westbrook. Even on a bad night by his standards the guy put up a 19/7/13. And you can make a case based on this series the Thunder are the most talented team in the NBA, they just have spacing issues on offense (Roberson is the ultimate dual-edged sword) and they've shown to be head-cases in tight games. Still these things can be worked on but there's no substitute for talent and it's hard to imagine him ever ending up on a more talented team than this Thunder squad. 

But where should he go?  If he goes Lakers he may not win but will be a "star", if he goes Knicks he could win in the longer term but will he wait?  Charlotte is interesting, they need a star and are a good young team but are a small market.   Houston sucks (and I am a fan) so he should not go there.  Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can't speak for soccer, but both MLB and the NFL have enacted rules changes that have been basic, fundamental changes. The DH rule in the American League, and changes to what is considered legal coverage in the secondary in the NFL. Games evolve as time goes on, and again, this is hardly a quick evolution. The NBA implemented the 3 point line back in 1980. We've just never seen two players on the same team that have been as proficient at it.

Secondary coverage, moving the kick off, and other stuff are not viewed by fans as fundamental.  The DH is the closest thing to the three point line, agree.  It is still argued against by fundamentalists.  

9 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Secondary coverage, moving the kick off, and other stuff are not viewed by fans as fundamental.  The DH is the closest thing to the three point line, agree.  It is still argued against by fundamentalists.  

Eh, I disagree. Look at the QB numbers since the changes. Passing yardage has blown up exponentially. It has made the run game less and less important in the modern game. It's undeniably changed the face of the game.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

By definition, if a series goes seven games... Doesn't it generally mean one team "choked" their chance to win it in six?

Okc choked in game 6 because they had a lead, and pissed it away with mind numbing plays in the late game. Despite the Warriors' (and Thompson's) furious rally, they still had a very good shot to win it. And they blew it. And tonight, at some point in the 3rd, they were down by 1. To me their body language made it seem they were down 20. It's stuff like that that rubs me the wrong way. 

29 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

But where should he go?  If he goes Lakers he may not win but will be a "star", if he goes Knicks he could win in the longer term but will he wait?  Charlotte is interesting, they need a star and are a good young team but are a small market.   Houston sucks (and I am a fan) so he should not go there.  Thoughts?

Well like I said I think he should stay in OKC at least for a year. If he does, some day, get sick of Westbrook dominating the ball Boston is probably the best fit in the East to challenge Cleveland. Lot of young talent. endless draft picks to either reinforce the roster or trade for another star and a great coach. On that team he'd get all the shots he wants and should actively try to be a 35 PPG guy. 

But it's more interesting to me if he stays, builds off what he showed these last two weeks, and really focuses on making himself into a dominant defensive player to go with the scoring. I hope the crushing disappointment of this series fuels him to max out his considerable gifts next year. Feel like the MVP could be his again if he wants it. 

The only way Durant leaves OKC is if he just hates living in Oklahoma City.  Nothing about him indicates that he does.  This Thunder team is immensely talented. They gave the Warriors everything they wanted, and could have won if things had broken a little differently. Adams is 22 years old, in his third season in the league and hasn't been playing basketball for that long. The guy looks like he could very well emerge as a legitimate star.

They have to add shooting though. They have a pretty decent potential trade package of either Serge Ibaka or Enes Kanter packaged with a lottery pick from this year who showed some flashes in Cam Payne.  That is an attractive trade package and one that can make salary cap math work.

Having a capable veteran sign with them to chase a ring would be nice for once. They've dredged up the corpses of Derek Fisher, Caron Butler, and Randy Foye in recent years, but that's not going to cut the mustard.  They've got to find some help, though. You can't survive in today's NBA if you can't make three pointers.

Archived