Meereen Bargaining ?

Ronald The Second

There are only three Slave cities: Mereen, Yunkai and Astapor, and Mereen is the biggest of the three. If you add to this that Dany took away the means of defence of the two rival cities (the Astapori Unsullied and the Yunkish mercenaries), it stands to reason that Mereen can still impose its will in the region.

The Free City of Volantis is also pro slavery, but they are very far away and to the Slaver's Bay is dangerous.

Mayhaps they remember what one of Dany's dragons did to Astapor when it was only a baby.  Even if they win the war, three adolescent dragons are going to do a whole lot of damage that they may prefer to avoid.

The deal Tyrion offered was sweet from the slavers point of view. They can keep slavery for seven more years. By that time, Dany will long have left slaver's bay and taken almost all her soldiers with her. Who is supposed to make sure that the slavers keep their promise when Dany is in Westeros?

7 hours ago, Maester Murks said:

The deal Tyrion offered was sweet from the slavers point of view. They can keep slavery for seven more years. By that time, Dany will long have left slaver's bay and taken almost all her soldiers with her. Who is supposed to make sure that the slavers keep their promise when Dany is in Westeros?

Agreed, unless forced they will never change.  Dany has been in Meereen for less than a year.  The slavers probably figure that she's dead.  Even if she isn't from their point of view they have seven years to convince her to move her people to Westeros.  And it's a pretty good bet that she will.  The Dothraki Horde isn't going to want to stay in one area for very long, they're after war and plunder.  So, in a year or two at the latest Dany will be on her way and the slavers will just go back on their word, which is what Grey Worm and Missendei warned Tyrion they would do.

I strongly doubt any of the cities opposing Daenerys are going to be left standing in any form whatsoever after she unleashes the full dothraki horde against them. No better way of ensuring the dothraki's complete and utter loyalty than letting them sack three of the richest cities in the region. The masters will probably be wiped out and there wouldn't be much point in taking them as slaves since the slaver cities are going to become nothing but smoke and dust.

Just now, Charles Stuart said:

I strongly doubt any of the cities opposing Daenerys are going to be left standing in any form whatsoever after she unleashes the full dothraki horde against them. No better way of ensuring the dothraki's complete and utter loyalty than letting them sack three of the richest cities in the region. The masters will probably be wiped out and there wouldn't be much point in taking them as slaves since the slaver cities are going to become nothing but smoke and dust.

But Tyrion made a deal with them, in her name.  If she wipes them out than I don't see Tyrion or Varys as being particularly interested in helping her do the same to Westeros.  Varys' loyalty in particular is to the Realm, not to Dany or the Targs.  Dany would go from "Mysa" to "Mud" in a New York Minute.  Even the acolytes of R'Holler would abandon her as a madwoman.

I'm sure the show creators will find some way to justify  Daenerys acting contrary to the deal made by Tyrion. They are slavers after all so they will probably do something voiding the agreement. Plus lets remember, Daeny is most likely going to want to have a word with varys in regards to a certain cask of wine haha.

I think this so called 'fragile peace' is a ruse. I think the Masters are gearing up for a major assault on Meereen; they know Dany isn't there and they essentially hold all the cards. What they don't know yet is that Dany is returning with a huge Dothraki horde and a much bigger Drogon. Grey Worm is right, they are not to be trusted. And poor Varys, I hope his smooth tongue can get him out of that potential predicament(of course, Tyrion already vouched for him, but Dany might not be too happy with him either.)

11 hours ago, Charles Stuart said:

I'm sure the show creators will find some way to justify  Daenerys acting contrary to the deal made by Tyrion. They are slavers after all so they will probably do something voiding the agreement. Plus lets remember, Daeny is most likely going to want to have a word with varys in regards to a certain cask of wine haha.

Archived