Iain M. Banks' Culture books - cont.

Hello World

Agree with you. I've quite enjoyed it, and always have. But it's a terrific introduction to the setting, with a fairly complicated main character. I think perhaps when people say they dislike it, it's just in comparison to other, generally easier and more polished Culture novels (like Player of Games or Use of Weapons).

Use of Weapons is many things, but "easier" than Consider Phlebas? I don't think so (unless you mean from an effects budget, in which case okay).

I wonder if they'll go with Banks's casting preference for Horza and call Arnold Schwarzenegger? :P

I think UoW is definitely easier in terms of what's possible on a prestige TV budget. The structure with tricky flashbacks or a protagonist with memory problems, well, we've seen these things tackled in many other films (from Memento to Shutter Island to The Prestige, etc.). The story is really a lot more straightforward than Consider Phlebas, which has a greater amount of incidents, locales, characters, etc.

That said, the fact that Consider Phlebas is being adapted into a series in and of itself -- I presume miniseries, BBC-style, although really there's enough in that book to fill out a full ten episode season -- is perhaps heartening. I don't know if it'll be as good as the novel, but if done right it could certainly be impressive.

I think the Sleeper Service is way too large in that image -- 200KM is the System class GSVs, like the Empiricist  in The Hydrogen Sonata. Google tells me the SS would be more like 50KM long.

But yes, scale is enormous.

What might be more of an issue if they're planning to be accurate is the look of the thing. Inside, a GSV can look like whatever the hell it wants, and that design of the Sleeper Service, scale aside, is on the more conservative end of some designs, but from the outside, they generally look like big silver oblongs.

They might actually stick with that to save a little budget on the wide shots, but most likely they'd keep the shape of the shields intact but make them be just a shimmer.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:04 PM, williamjm said:

It is a shame that Banks didn't get to see The Culture on screen, I know he had other work adapted during his lifetime but I think he'd have wanted to see The Culture more than any of his other books.

Be still my beating heart! Iain Banks coming to TV! As to his other adaptations, my daughter, while going to university in Edinburgh, told me about watching The Crow Road on TV. I hope it comes to Canada soon.

On 26/02/2018 at 11:58 PM, maarsen said:

Be still my beating heart! Iain Banks coming to TV! As to his other adaptations, my daughter, while going to university in Edinburgh, told me about watching The Crow Road on TV. I hope it comes to Canada soon.

The Crow Road TV series came out about 22 years ago. It's available on DVD.

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Crow Road TV series came out about 22 years ago. It's available on DVD.

My apologies Werthead. I meant to say that I can't wait for the new adaptation of the Culture books to come to the screen here in Canada.

Archived