How come Bran knows the Night's king is the Night's king?

So, Bran referred to the WW with the ice crown as The Night's king on the last episode. How the hell would he know he's the Night's king if the blue eyed guy never said anything? And by Night's king, it doesn't have anything to do with the Lord commander as legend says, right? Apparently this is what GRRM said about that Night king:

“As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have"

The Night's king in the books was just a human, he wouldn't survive thousands of years (although it would actually be nice if he was transformed somehow and that WW with the ice crown was indeed the legendary Night's king, once a stark) . Honestly, I wished the directors could have gone with another title for the White walker in command otherwise, since that name has already been taken for a specific character in the books. Is it safe to assume that the White Walker in command always have the title Night King now? 

Yeah I really hate that they went for the name White Walkers instead of others. It makes it seem like some Walking Dead zombie BS when it has nothing to do with that whatsoever. But the Night King on the show is completely different to that in the book. Also, in the show its Night King and in the book its the Night's King if that was any indication but so little information has been given in either books or show we can't really say for certain. 

1 hour ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Yeah I really hate that they went for the name White Walkers instead of others. It makes it seem like some Walking Dead zombie BS 

This.

But yeah I think they are just taking a 'creative decision' with this one. The Night's King and the Night King aren't meant to be the same, they probably just thought it was a bad-ass name and rightly so.

20 hours ago, Prince_of_ice_and_fire said:

So, Bran referred to the WW with the ice crown as The Night's king on the last episode. How the hell would he know he's the Night's king if the blue eyed guy never said anything? And by Night's king, it doesn't have anything to do with the Lord commander as legend says, right? Apparently this is what GRRM said about that Night king:

“As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have"

The Night's king in the books was just a human, he wouldn't survive thousands of years (although it would actually be nice if he was transformed somehow and that WW with the ice crown was indeed the legendary Night's king, once a stark) . Honestly, I wished the directors could have gone with another title for the White walker in command otherwise, since that name has already been taken for a specific character in the books. Is it safe to assume that the White Walker in command always have the title Night King now? 

There's no indication that the Night's King is the same as the Night King. Bran referred to him as the Night King, not Night's. At least in the show, it'd be impossible for them to be the same person, as the Night King was created when the First Men came over, long before the Night's Watch even existed. There's every reason to indicate that White Walkers/The Others are immortal invincible unless they get unmade by Valyrian Steel or dragonglass.

As far as how he knows that that's his name, he probably was told by the Children or BR

3 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Yeah I really hate that they went for the name White Walkers instead of others. It makes it seem like some Walking Dead zombie BS when it has nothing to do with that whatsoever. 

The Walking Dead did not invent the term "walker". Also, they didn't just change the name for shits and giggles. They changed the name for the show because you can't really do capital letters in speech. They initially tried using the term "The Others" but it just doesn't work outside of a book or comic.

5 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Also, in the show its Night King and in the book its the Night's King if that was any indication but so little information has been given in either books or show we can't really say for certain. 

3 hours ago, WingedShadow said:

There's no indication that the Night's King is the same as the Night King. Bran referred to him as the Night King, not Night's. At least in the show, it'd be impossible for them to be the same person, as the Night King was created when the First Men came over, long before the Night's Watch even existed. 

Is there any difference between the words Night's king and Night King? Being a non-native English speaker, It all sounds just too similar, I thought you could say it either way and it would mean the same.

So, I'll just assume The Night's king is long gone, as GRRM said, and the Night King is someone completely different, unless the show or the books says otherwise. The Night King might even be that first WW created, but we won't know anything for certain until they start talking or Bran shows us some insights through his visions.

Yeah, English is a hell of a language even if you're a Native speaker. That apostrophe makes all the difference in the world. The Night's King (with apostrophe) shows possession, as though he belonged TO something or someone (in this case the Night's Watch). The Night King (no apostrophe) is more to show you're OF something. So here it's more this is the King of the Night, King of Darkness, etc. I'm not a teacher and don't claim to be an grammar expert but this is the best way to explain it I think. 

5 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

I think Bran knew it was the Nights King because at somepoint during the time he was off training with the BR, he gave him a drawing of him and was like, "this is the Nights King by the way."

This. I think all evidence points to the fact that we have only seen select green dreams. There have been a LOT, and Bran already knows a lot. He doesn't know enough not to fly solo apparently, but from a pure information standpoint, I think we can assume he has learned a lot of information about the world and the past. 

1 hour ago, Noelle Snow said:

Yeah, English is a hell of a language even if you're a Native speaker. That apostrophe makes all the difference in the world. The Night's King (with apostrophe) shows possession, as though he belonged TO something or someone (in this case the Night's Watch). The Night King (no apostrophe) is more to show you're OF something. So here it's more this is the King of the Night, King of Darkness, etc. I'm not a teacher and don't claim to be an grammar expert but this is the best way to explain it I think. 

I see, I didn't think there would be that much of a difference. Night King, without apostrophe, shows only some sort of feature or quality then. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Fiery Heart said:

I think Bran knew it was the Nights King because at somepoint during the time he was off training with the BR, he gave him a drawing of him and was like, "this is the Nights King by the way."

I wanna see that drawing right now. HAHAHA

1 hour ago, Castigear said:

This. I think all evidence points to the fact that we have only seen select green dreams. There have been a LOT, and Bran already knows a lot. He doesn't know enough not to fly solo apparently, but from a pure information standpoint, I think we can assume he has learned a lot of information about the world and the past. 

I guess this is it. He's been in the cave for a couple of months now, that's a lot of visions. Can't wait to see those Bran's chapters in TWOW.

11 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

Yeah I really hate that they went for the name White Walkers instead of others. It makes it seem like some Walking Dead zombie BS when it has nothing to do with that whatsoever. But the Night King on the show is completely different to that in the book. Also, in the show its Night King and in the book its the Night's King if that was any indication but so little information has been given in either books or show we can't really say for certain. 

They are referenced as White Walkers in the books too.  The Others is a name recently used by another TV show apparently so they dropped it from GOT.

The present time NK is D&D invention. He follows D&D logic. He appears when necessary. And people know what they have to know, because D&D have no time to write a consistent story, and not enough episode left to explain everything, and much too many characters left to kill.

I don't see a problem with Bran being able to tell that it was the White Walker "leader". What I have a mild dislike of is this kind of name-dropping out of nowhere. No one's ever said anything about a "Night King" before, so it's pretty weird to find out that one of the main characters has apparently learned something about the mysterious WW leader and his very special kind of ceremonial name off-screen, while we've been told none of it. What exactly does Bran know about him and what else does he know that we don't? He's an audience surrogate, we should pretty much know what he knows.

Similarly none of the dragons were ever named before S4 finale, and then suddenly you find out that they actually have names when she asks "And still no word of Drogon?" in the middle of a conversation. The dragons had been a pretty big deal for 3 seasons and were talked about constantly, meaning that their names were intentionally withheld until S4E10 and S5E01, because..?

10 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

Never knew BR would have a pen and such skills lol

33 minutes ago, Direwight said:

I don't see a problem with Bran being able to tell that it was the White Walker "leader". What I have a mild dislike of is this kind of name-dropping out of nowhere. No one's ever said anything about a "Night King" before, so it's pretty weird to find out that one of the main characters has apparently learned something about the mysterious WW leader and his very special kind of ceremonial name off-screen, while we've been told none of it. What exactly does Bran know about him and what else does he know that we don't? He's an audience surrogate, we should pretty much know what he knows.

Similarly none of the dragons were ever named before S4 finale, and then suddenly you find out that they actually have names when she asks "And still no word of Drogon?" in the middle of a conversation. The dragons had been a pretty big deal for 3 seasons and were talked about constantly, meaning that their names were intentionally withheld until S4E10 and S5E01, because..?

that's how I feel, maybe they should have let BR say its name. And about the dragons, I have read the books so their names were always on my mind while watching the show, I never paid attention wether she did name them or not before S4. It might be confusing for someone who only watches the show though.

Archived