Randyl Tarley and Sam Dinner discussions

BobinIL

So from the trailer we see Randyl Tarley looking at Sam all pissed and Gilly telling Sam "you didn't tell him I'm a wildling" I find this sort of a dumb plot move for several reasons.  Sam and Gilly have been far north of the wall and had to fight White Walkers and whites defended the wall from 100,000 wildlings cannibals giants and Mammoths.  And the primary topic of discussion at dinner is that Gilly is a wildling?!?!?!  Seriously!!!! You have got to be kidding me.  If the people south of the wall are this stupid, then I am starting to get on board with the Nights King and root for him to wipe these a$$holes out.

So you're basing your expectations of this scene off a snippet of conversation in a trailer? Why not wait and see what they decide to talk about. I'm sure Gilly's origin is part of that, but that kind of gives an easy transition to, hey and speaking of beyond the wall ... icy doom coming at ya.

I definitely see Randyl putting Sam down and Gilly or Sam blurting out Sam killed a WW. Randyl will laugh. Sam will tell him he needs that Valyrian Steel sword Heartsbane. Randyl will tell him that sword goes to his brother who he thinks is a real man. Sam will say fuck you and steal it when he leaves. But would he risk leaving Gilly there after stealing the sword?  Or maybe Randyl will be called away on urgent business in KL and then Sam will swipe the sword. 

It's bound to be an awkward dinner not what matter what they talk about. The last time they spoke it was Randyl telling Sam he would gladly kill him and make it look like an accident.

I want to know why the great military leader is cooling his heels at home when there are clearly doings afoot.

After watching the trailer again, I'm pretty sure they discuss whether or not Randy knows she's a wildling while they're still traveling, probably shortly before they arrive, but I could be wrong. 

As for dinner, I have no idea what they'll discuss, but if WW's come up, I doubt Randy will believe they exist. 

30 minutes ago, Aedam Targaryen said:

After watching the trailer again, I'm pretty sure they discuss whether or not Randy knows she's a wildling while they're still traveling, probably shortly before they arrive, but I could be wrong. 

As for dinner, I have no idea what they'll discuss, but if WW's come up, I doubt Randy will believe they exist. 

This is going to be the most awkward family dinner there ever was, perhaps the Sansa/Bolton dinner being pretty close.

I have no doubt that Gilly will tell them Sam killed a WW AND that she is a Wildling AND that the baby is Sam's AND that Sam left his post on the Wall AND that she is crashing on the Tarly couch while Sam becomes a Maester.

Randyl will probably lose his shit right there at the dinner table, he's going to go medieval on their asses. I can't wait to see.

1. Sam is back at Horn Hill, from where his father expelled him.

2. If they say Little Sam is Sam's son, that makes him an oathbreaker.

3. Sam is going to Oldtown to become a maester.

Conclusion: Old Man Tarly is definitely going to lose his s**t.

It's beyond awkward. So much so I can't believe they're really going to try and do a 'dinner' scene.  I cannot see a man like Randyll sitting down to dinner with the son he expelled (and threatened to kill) and his lowborn (even if he doesn't know she's wildling, he'd know that much) girlfriend, chatting about Sam's plans to do what he was expressly forbidden to do years before.  

I'm sure all Sam would have wanted would be to see his Mother quickly, drop Gilly and the baby off, and run to Oldtown without seeing Dad.

I'm very curious to see the brother though. I kind of think he'll be the one who believes and supports Sam, maybe he'll give him Heartsbane. 

12 hours ago, Aedam Targaryen said:

I watched it again, and I agree with you. Sam and Gilly discuss it on their way to Horn Hill.

I am sure Sam will have to explain to his father once they reach Horn Hill. Sam is not a good liar. But he could possibly tell his parents he met Gilly at Mole town.

I think Randyl is going to be in for a bit of a shock. The Sam he sent to the wall under the threat of death isn't the Sam who will be returning. Never would have guessed Sam from season 1 would get laid, kill things, stand up for his lady. He'sgonna stand up to Randyl. At least if he talks down to Gilly. Silently, Randyl may respect him some but probably will be to prideful to admit it. If the Reach isn't completely decimated and wiped out this season, it'll be sweet to see Sam recruit his father to join the fight against the WW's. Maybe a scene like that will be where we see the 180 in Randyl and he begins to openly respect Sam?

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I think Randyl is going to be in for a bit of a shock. The Sam he sent to the wall under the threat of death isn't the Sam who will be returning. Never would have guessed Sam from season 1 would get laid, kill things, stand up for his lady. He'sgonna stand up to Randyl. At least if he talks down to Gilly. Silently, Randyl may respect him some but probably will be to prideful to admit it. If the Reach isn't completely decimated and wiped out this season, it'll be sweet to see Sam recruit his father to join the fight against the WW's. Maybe a scene like that will be where we see the 180 in Randyl and he begins to openly respect Sam?

Sam would have to do a lot of convincing. Considering how Sam talked anout his father in the past. I really don't see his father believing him. He will look at Sam as an oathbreaker. Sam is also headed to Oldtown to become a maester. Which his father never wanted. There will be a lot of tension between  them. I think his mother may save them. Randyl is talked anout being really tough. It's possible his father may respect Sam for  choosing who Sam wants to be regardless of Randyls wishes.(most unlikely)  I don't think his father will believe Sams stories beyond the wall. I hope Sam stands up to his father. Then his father may respect him for that.

Being that Sam is no longer the heir to the Tarley estate, perhaps his father will be a little more accepting of his mission to become a Maestor. Now that Sam is no threat to his legacy, perhaps there will be a little peace.

Probably not though...yall all know some shit's going to hit the fan.

11 minutes ago, Every Last Chicken said:

Being that Sam is no longer the heir to the Tarley estate, perhaps his father will be a little more accepting of his mission to become a Maestor. Now that Sam is no threat to his legacy, perhaps there will be a little peace.

Probably not though...yall all know some shit's going to hit the fan.

Yes you sure are right with your last sentence, however:

Spoiler

Sam is getting something valuable from the trip

9 hours ago, Visenya the Dragon said:

Sam would have to do a lot of convincing. Considering how Sam talked anout his father in the past. I really don't see his father believing him. He will look at Sam as an oathbreaker. Sam is also headed to Oldtown to become a maester. Which his father never wanted. There will be a lot of tension between  them. I think his mother may save them. Randyl is talked anout being really tough. It's possible his father may respect Sam for  choosing who Sam wants to be regardless of Randyls wishes.(most unlikely)  I don't think his father will believe Sams stories beyond the wall. I hope Sam stands up to his father. Then his father may respect him for that.

Why would Sam be considered an oath breaker? He has not broken his oath, he was sent to the Citadel to study the WW, a direct order from the Lord Commander of the night watch.

Archived