Randyl Tarley and Sam Dinner discussions

BobinIL

1 hour ago, Tianzi said:

Randyl is such a poor man's Tywin I can't even.

I don't remember a worse dialogue, and I've been honestly watching this season with it's see-sea and greedy bitches.

I loved how old man Tarly jumped at 'beyond the Wall', completely ignoring the context ('there were White Walkers and I've seen it!') and felt the urge to underline how much he HATES those damn wildlings only 478623783426 km from his house. And he sent his son to kill them! Or to freeze to death. What's the difference.

What part of that doesn't make sense? People on the South think the White Walkers are bullshit (remember the reaction Thorne got in KL?), and why would he not hate the wildlings just because he lives far from the North? Like, one of my best friend's family lives up in NY, and her bizarrely racist dad supports Trump because "'Merica needs the Wall to protect us from those Mexicans." There aren't geographic boundaries for being an asshole. Randyll is the poor man's Tywin alright, with a tinge of Stannis, even in the books. 

Honestly, it's like people are trying their hardest to hate the show. Comparing this to the Sand Snakes drivel, for real? 

6 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

What part of that doesn't make sense? People on the South think the White Walkers are bullshit (remember the reaction Thorne got in KL?), and why would he not hate the wildlings just because he lives far from the North? Like, one of my best friend's family lives up in NY, and her bizarrely racist dad supports Trump because "'Merica needs the Wall to protect us from those Mexicans." There aren't geographic boundaries for being an asshole. Randyll is the poor man's Tywin alright, with a tinge of Stannis, even in the books. 

Honestly, it's like people are trying their hardest to hate the show. Comparing this to the Sand Snakes drivel, for real? 

I'm fine with Dickon thinking WW are bullshit. I'm fine with Randyl initially thinking so. But when Gilly tells him she saw one beyond the Wall, he should either think that all of this is a lie and the whore from Mole's town is talking bullshit or pay some attention to the circumstances if he believed she really was beyond the Wall.

And I don't consider him hating the wildlings part a nonsense, only trying way too hard to underline that he is a bigot.

Oh and yes, i think that the dialogue was simply disastrous (in a dull, not colorfully stupid kinf of way). Don't you agree?

1 minute ago, Tianzi said:

I'm fine with Dickon thinking WW are bullshit. I'm fine with Randyl initially thinking so. But when Gilly tells him she saw one beyond the Wall, he should either think that all of this is a lie and the whore from Mole's town is talking bullshit or pay some attention to the circumstances if he believed she really was beyond the Wall.

And I don't consider him hating the wildlings part a nonsense, only trying way too hard to underline that he is a bigot.

He is a bigot, that's severely underlined in the books too. I mean, this is the guy who said Brienne could use a rape. Again, why would he believe the fairytales about the White Walkers, even if they come from a wildling - or rather, specifically if they come from who he thinks is a gold digger/whore, who on top of that is also a wildling?

That would have been bad writing, if Randyll "No Nonsense" Tarly would have been like "What's that, young lady? Snarks and grumpkins are real and my son totally killed one? Dickon, fetch me a block! Quick, boy! We have some White Walkers to kill, no time to waste!"

Sam going out like a coward was a real disappointment. I'm sure some will try to defend it using his logic (didn't want Gilly and the baby kicked out) but he sat over there like a ball of whimpering fucking silly putty. He at least could have clenched his fist or something...  And why take that shit from your father only to leave with Gilly and the baby in the end.   Then does the extreme coward move and steals the sword when everyone is sleep without having shown your father that you had grown a spine....  I hope they don't expect us to believe Sam will be wielding that Greatsword do they?  Looks like he had a hard enough  time lifting it...

3 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

He is a bigot, that's severely underlined in the books too. I mean, this is the guy who said Brienne could use a rape. Again, why would he believe the fairytales about the White Walkers, even if they come from a wildling - or rather, specifically if they come from who he thinks is a gold digger/whore, who on top of that is also a wildling?

That would have been bad writing, if Randyll "No Nonsense" Tarly would have been like "What's that, young lady? Snarks and grumpkins are real and my son totally killed one? Dickon, fetch me a block! Quick, boy! We have some White Walkers to kill, no time to waste!"

Well, he was an one-dimentional cartoon bigot in the books too.

All I'm saying is that he shouldn't have immediately believed one half of her story (that she was beyond the Wall) while not even stopping for the other. And he isn't 'no-nonsense', more like narrow minded.

26 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

All I'm saying is that he shouldn't have immediately believed one half of her story (that she was beyond the Wall) while not even stopping for the other. And he isn't 'no-nonsense', more like narrow minded.

Not really. The point was that the thing he was truly concerned about was that she was a wildling, that his son has had a child with a wildling and that now a wildling is in his house. 

33 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Sam going out like a coward was a real disappointment. I'm sure some will try to defend it using his logic (didn't want Gilly and the baby kicked out) but he sat over there like a ball of whimpering fucking silly putty. He at least could have clenched his fist or something...  And why take that shit from your father only to leave with Gilly and the baby in the end.   Then does the extreme coward move and steals the sword when everyone is sleep without having shown your father that you had grown a spine....  I hope they don't expect us to believe Sam will be wielding that Greatsword do they?  Looks like he had a hard enough  time lifting it...

Sam is hardly the bravest character in the world, especially when it comes to his father who is someone he possibly fears more than the WW! You don't go changing your entire character in life, thats bullshit you only see in bad fiction. Him coming back to his home will only bring back his memories and past behaviours.

Randall Tarly is the poor man's Tywin Lannister, only without the smarts or the cleverness.  I have to believe that the only reason we had the dinner scenes was for Sam to get Heartsbane and even then I wonder if there wasn't some other more efficient way to accomplish that. 

It's one of the most underwhelming scene in the whole series. I was waiting for Randyll to send chills down my spine the way Tywin did in his first scene when he lectures Jaime while skinning a deer. It's poorly written, D&D don't understand part of the subtil essence of ASOIAF (probably never will). 

2 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Randall Tarly is the poor man's Tywin Lannister, only without the smarts or the cleverness.  I have to believe that the only reason we had the dinner scenes was for Sam to get Heartsbane and even then I wonder if there wasn't some other more efficient way to accomplish that. 

I think that scene might have served a few purposes. Yes to get the sword, but also I think Randall will be a bigger character from now on, possibly having some Riverlands role, but also notice the comment at the table about House Umber visiting. That was a bit of a coincidence I think, or not! Could he be part of the Northern conspiracy?

13 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Not really. The point was that the thing he was truly concerned about was that she was a wildling, that his son has had a child with a wildling and that now a wildling is in his house. 

Sam is hardly the bravest character in the world, especially when it comes to his father who is someone he possibly fears more than the WW! You don't go changing your entire character in life, thats bullshit you only see in bad fiction. Him coming back to his home will only bring back his memories and past behaviours.

Sam is one of the bravest characters in this story. Period. The simple fact that he brought Ginny there is cray cray... 

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 7:10 PM, kalle said:

Yes you sure are right with your last sentence, however:

Hide contents

Sam is getting something valuable from the trip

Well, looks like he made out like a bandit on his trip home. 

1 Valyrian Steel Sword - check

1 Gilly - check

1 lil Sam - check

Now, how the hell he is going to get into the citadel, become a Maestor, and hide Gilly and baby while doing so, I have no friggin idea...

I was thinking that Randall would've told Sam that Jon was dead.

Wouldn't Alliser Thorne have had ravens sent out informing all the major houses there was a new Lord Commander of the Nights Watch? This would've at least happened the morning/day after Jon's death. Seems a bit off that Alliser didn't do this.

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

I was thinking that Randall would've told Sam that Jon was dead.

Wouldn't Alliser Thorne have had ravens sent out informing all the major houses there was a new Lord Commander of the Nights Watch? This would've at least happened the morning/day after Jon's death. Seems a bit off that Alliser didn't do this.

Pretty sure he had more pressing matters to attend to.

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Pretty sure he had more pressing matters to attend to.

They were just waiting around for hours for Davos & crew to make up their minds what they wanted to do. The 'pressing matters' only happened later in the day when they came to the door to tell Davos & crew their time was up..

Maybe they wanted to burn the body first just in case, but i can't see Alliser being anything but super confident that all would go as planned. The job was done, complete, he was dead.

Maybe they were out of ravens?

2 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

OMG, you cannot compare RL situation with the Tarly's. Tarly has no television (no fox news television that is) and has never seen any wildling. What would he care about wildlings? His character portrail is complete bs, here.

2 hours ago, Tianzi said:

No he isn't, yes he's a bigot and a brute but he's also one of the few characters we see dispensing just to the people of the Riverlands. And he saves Brienne from a possible rape

Randyll believes Wildlings exist, Sam fathering a child off one is unlikely but possible to him and there would be no good reason to lie about her being a wildling.  Not only does he not believe in the WW but even if he did it would be completely inconceivable to him that his fat coward of a son would of killed one.

1 hour ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

If Randall Tarly is as bad as he is he should have tried Sam with treason for getting together with a woman and what he believes as siring q child.

what "treason" would that be? And why would Tarly be allowed to jugde it?

Archived