What's there to like about Robert really?

Valens

12 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

Admittedly, a poorly chosen word.  However, they obviously discussed the outcome should they win, and I personally feel that Ned and Jon told/offered to Robert before he would ask for the throne.   The reasoning being he had a drop of dragon blood.  My take, and I could be wrong, is the none of the three were real enthusiastic about being king.

If Robert didn't want the throne than he shouldn't have take it. And if the rebels were going to usurp the crown they should have put a better man in power. 

They should have either declared Aegon King or dismantled that throne. 

15 hours ago, Valens said:

I know I'm opening a can of worms here but...if you look at it objectively, Robert really doesn't have too many good sides. He is too brash, too hotheaded and too violent, doesn't listen to advice (as the Jon Arryn example tells us), is sex-crazy and promiscuous, plus he hated Rhaegar so much for nothing really. Well, not nothing but he didn't even respect him after he was dead, I bet. And him thinking that it was alright to kill his children was what really placed Robert in the neutral-cathegory. He's neither bad nor good. I think his only redeeming quality is that he is more cheerful and friendly than Stannis and well...more manly than Renly, heh. Somebody called him the greatest commander in Westeros, I believe that is far from the truth. He may have been a capable commander, but far from the most talented in Westeros. He was more a of a great warrior, fighter, than a great commander. Anyway, being successful at war when you have a big army of Stormlanders (perhaps most battle-hardened soldiers in Westeros) and Valemen and also some from the Riverlands I believe, it's not TOO hard. He kicked ass, that's all. Stannis proved himself to be a more cunning commander than him and his way of living is more in the line with what a commander should be like: not a man of pleasures but a serious and hard man. Yet just. Robert's treatment of Stannis also doesn't do him justice, as we have discussed already. I think Ned was far more honourable and noble than Robert. But he grew up with Robert and learned to love him, despite his flaws. Had he not been fostered with him, I don't think Ned would think so highly or be so fond of Robert, do you?

Of course, one still must pity Robert. For what his life turned out like after winning the throne-couldn't have been very happy. He had been deprived of his great love of his life (though she most likely didn't feel the same way for him, which is also sad), he had to marry for politics and his only child that he got with Cersei was aborted, on purpose. He had no idea his three children were not really his. And he didn't love his brothers, which is also sad, but another indicator that Robert isn't really a GOOD man. He is good to people he likes, but I think the fact that he liked Ned more than Stannis or Renly is...well, Stannis is not so easy to like, but what about Renly? Why didn't he love HIM? He even looked like Robert and surely felt nothing but love and admiration for his big brother...early on, that is. And, of course...the most obvious thing of all-Robert was a LOUSY king. Just one of the worst kings to sit the Iron Throne yet lucky enough of it not being so obvious becuase he had such good advisors and such a good Hand. He is kind of closest to being another Aegon the Unworthy, he was like his successor in a way. He only cared about women, food and drink and watching a good fight. Now I await your responses.

I'm not a Robert fan myself, not at all, he's one of the characters that I rather dislike actually (and there aren't too many.... just three actually that I can think off) but I would just liike to say that not having too many good sides, doesn't nessacarily make a character dislikable. At least not to me,and I can't be the only one. I tend to actually like characters for their flaws, it makes them more human and easier to relate to, more interesting as well.

1 hour ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Aegon II and III were neglectful, but at least they were trying to keep seven kingdoms together, unlike robert who did not gave a shit about murder of elia. 

What should he have done though? Alienate the former Targaryen loyalists in Dorne or the strongest and richest house in the realm who sided with him? I think the western support was much more important than the dornish.

4 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

If Robert didn't want the throne than he shouldn't have take it. And if the rebels were going to usurp the crown they should have put a better man in power. 

Tywin made that decision for them. Once the Targaryen children were dead, they had to crown someone who was not a Targaryen. Jon Arryn was old and without a heir, Ned worshipped the wrong gods.

12 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Tywin made that decision for them. Once the Targaryen children were dead, they had to crown someone who was not a Targaryen. Jon Arryn was old and without a heir, Ned worshipped the wrong gods.

Tywin didn't make any decision for them. The rebels named Robert King after he killed Rhaegar therefore sealing the Targs' fates. 

Tywin marched on KL when Rhargar died. 

1 minute ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

To all you Robert haters....

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

LOL, I don't like Robert but I agree with this tbh. I mean.... I simply don't enjoy Robert as a character, doesn't mean i'm gonna judge him for his mistakes, it does tend to bug me when people do this, because of the whole holier then thou attitude.... as if any of us know we'd have done better.

16 minutes ago, John Doe said:

What should he have done though? Alienate the former Targaryen loyalists in Dorne or the strongest and richest house in the realm who sided with him? I think the western support was much more important than the dornish.

True, but at least he should put gregor and amory on trial. Tywin did very little in robert's rebellion, so cersei-robert marriage should satisfy him enough. And Amory and Gregor weren't very important. They were only minor landed knights.

3 hours ago, John Doe said:

If by domestic violence you mean that one punch I'm sorry to tell you Cersei did much worse. 

I read a comment some time ago which suggested Robert slapped her because he couldn't deal with her otherwise. That he was weak in that way.

17 hours ago, Valens said:

too violent

Not true.

17 hours ago, Valens said:

doesn't listen to advice

Again not true.

1 hour ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

To all you Robert haters....

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

We have a winner!

Robert, the way we see him in AGOT, is a broken man who is chronically depressed and he still manages to be a decent human being without being unnecessarily violent or cruel, if he was all of the Targ supporters, or at least the Stormlanders and Riverlanders, would had been exterminated after the Rebellion, Viserys and Dany would had been killed years ago and Iron Isles would had been destroyed. Even Barri the Moral Coward had told that Robert was a good man. Yes he wasn't a great King and left JonA doing all the ruling but what is better a man who knows that cannot rule to rule or someone who knows that can't rule and leave the ruling to a more capable man? He had sex outside of the marriage. And? Why does it matter?

1 hour ago, INCBlackbird said:

I'm not a Robert fan myself, not at all, he's one of the characters that I rather dislike actually (and there aren't too many.... just three actually that I can think off) but I would just liike to say that not having too many good sides, doesn't nessacarily make a character dislikable. At least not to me,and I can't be the only one. I tend to actually like characters for their flaws, it makes them more human and easier to relate to, more interesting as well.

That's exactly what I said. He's neither good nor bad. His redeeming quality is that he is cheerful and friendly to people like Ned and maybe Barristan. He is also honest and appreciates valour. But that's about it.

13 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Robert the way we see him in AGOT is a broken man who is chronically depressed and he still manages to be a decent human being without being unnecessarily violent or cruel, if he was all of the Targ supporters, or at least the Stormlanders and Riverlanders, would had been exterminated after the Rebellion, Viserys and Dany would had been killed years ago and Iron Isles would had been destroyed. Even Barri the Moral Coward had told that Robert was a good man. Yes he wasn't a great King and left JonA doing all the ruling but what is better a man who knows that cannot rule to rule or someone who knows that can't rule and leave the ruling to a more capable man? He had sex outside of the marriage. And? Why does it matter?

Agreed, especially with the last sentence. That's the difference between Robert and Cersei. 

9 hours ago, The Wolves said:

It wasn't like it was planned in advanced, they're enjoying life in the Vale and then the king calls for their execution, they had no other recourse, fight or submit.  

As another poster pointed out, Arryn was too old without an heir, and Ned almost a foreigner to the south, so Robert seemed the logical choice.  Of course, they had the power to seat whomever they chose, with might being right in Eesteros.  Hindsight being what it is, Ned was the best choice, as Robert said "you'll hate ruling worse than me, but you'll do it well".  Again, with the combined strength at the time, they could have told the faith, and everyone else for that matter that Ned was king, old gods or no.  Religious tolerance.  It wasn't like Stannis was worried about following R'hollor.

13 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Tyrion says he rather liked Robert.  That indicates to me he'd be pretty fun to hang out/get drunk with, at least as long as he didn't get angry blackout. 

Of course, he's that person you hang out with to have drunk mindless fun. But try having a slightly deep conversation and you come out frustrated because the person is completely dumb and empty of interesting thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Nami said:

Of course, he's that person you hang out with to have drunk mindless fun. But try having a slightly deep conversation and you come out frustrated because the person is completely dumb and empty of interesting thoughts.

He's not completely dumb, he knew warfare better than pretty much anyone so that alone indicates he was at least somewhat intelligent

8 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

He's not completely dumb, he knew warfare better than pretty much anyone so that alone indicates he was at least somewhat intelligent

Knowing how to fight doesn't indicate at all that someone is intelligent.

1 minute ago, Nami said:

Knowing how to fight doesn't indicate at all that someone is intelligent.

He won 3 battles in a day, he defeated the Targaryens, and put down the Greyjoy Rebellion, the man is clearly no scholar but you can't act like he's a complete idiot 

5 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

It wasn't like it was planned in advanced, their enjoying life in the Vale and then the king calls for your execution, they had no other recourse, fight or submit.  

Mad another poster pointed out, Arryn was too old without an heir, and Ned almost a foreigner to the south, so Robert seemed the logical choice.  Of course, they had the power to seat whomever they chose, with might being right in Eesteros.  Hindsight being what it is, Ned was the best choice, as Robert said "you'll hate worse then me, but you'll do well".  Again, with the combined strength at the time, they could have told the faith, and everyone else for that matter that Ned was king, old gods or no.  Religious tolerance.  It wasn't like Stannis was worried about following R'hollor.

They should have never usurped the throne anyway. The throne was never their goal so why go a do it. 

And no Robert did not seem the logical choice. Robert was chosen because he killed the better man for the job and because he had stupid people advising him. The rebels knew Robert's personality especially Jon and Ned they knew his worthless ass shouldn't have been king Robert knew too but took it anyway. 

Archived