The World is not flat - Quaithe Prophecy & Consequences for the WoIaF

This quote from mance in a storm of swords proves, in my opinion, that planetos is round, and quaithes prophecy is correct.
“The black wool cloak of a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch,” said the King-beyond-the-Wall. “One day on a ranging we brought down a fine big elk. We were skinning it when the smell of blood drew a shadow-cat out of its lair. I drove it off, but not before it shredded my cloak to ribbons. Do you see? Here, here, and here?” He chuckled. “It shredded my arm and back as well, and I bled worse than the elk. My brothers feared I might die before they got me back to Maester Mullin at the Shadow Tower, so they carried me to a wildling village where we knew an old wisewoman did some healing. She was dead, as it happened, but her daughter saw to me. Cleaned my wounds, sewed me up, and fed me porridge and potions until I was strong enough to ride again. And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well, with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore. It was the greatest treasure she had, and her gift to me.” He swept the cloak back over his shoulders. “But at the Shadow Tower, I was given a new wool cloak from stores, black and black, and trimmed with black, to go with my black breeches and black boots, my black doublet and black mail. The new cloak had no frays nor rips nor tears . . . and most of all, no red. The men of the Night’s Watch dressed in black, Ser Denys Mallister reminded me sternly, as if I had forgotten. My old cloak was fit for burning now, he said.

So a ship from asshai washed on the frozen shore.. If you look at the map of the known world, there is a Straight called the saffron straight that goes north east from asshai. I personally think this straight continues in that direction and connects to the water north of the sunset sea, a perfect route to the frozen shore. I think George did this on purpose, it's a huge hint.

4 hours ago, Lady_of_the_black said:

So a ship from asshai washed on the frozen shore.. If you look at the map of the known world, there is a Straight called the saffron straight that goes north east from asshai. I personally think this straight continues in that direction and connects to the water north of the sunset sea, a perfect route to the frozen shore. I think George did this on purpose, it's a huge hint.

I've no doubt that Planetos is spherical but Mance only says the silk is from Asshai, not necessarily the cog.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

I've no doubt that Planetos is spherical but Mance only says the silk is from Asshai, not necessarily the cog.

Would a ship with goods to be sold go all the way around westeros to get to a pretty much desolate place? What do wildlings and nights watch men need with scarlet silk? It seems more likely to me that the cog would land in westeros and the goods would be distributed from there. Noble men and women and royals would purchase scarlet colored silk, not anybody on the wall. It's weird that it's there in the first place. Why would George mention this for nothing? just look at the map.. Would a cog from somewhere other than westeros go all that way for people who probably don't need their goods? I just really don't think so. It's a far way. They would land on the eastern or southern coast of westeros and then they would head back out. To me this means that ship must have come from the west..  But take it how you will. Why even mention that the silk is from asshai? It could have just been red silk. The part about asshai must mean something. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:11 AM, House Cambodia said:

A quick google will throw up a few fan-made globes of Planetos. Most estimate a huge, Pacific-sized ocean between the east coast of Essos and west coast of Westeros which would likely deter Dothraki 'sailors' and might be too far for a dragon to fly.

Planetos globe

Large ocean going birds have no trouble circumnavigating the southern oceans, so the dragons would be capable of similar things.

8 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

On Planetos? Where's the evidence for that?

Physics is physics. Dragons would fly by mechanisms similar to very large birds, and that is how very large birds fly. Something like an albatross can cover up to 1000 km a day, and they cruise across vast expanses of the southern oceans which have very little land mass in the way using the prevailing winds.

1 minute ago, tugela said:

Physics is physics. Dragons would fly by mechanisms similar to very large birds, and that is how very large birds fly. Something like an albatross can cover up to 1000 km a day, and they cruise across vast expanses of the southern oceans which have very little land mass in the way using the prevailing winds.

My point is Planetos is supposedly larger than Earth and the distance between west coast of Westeros and East coast of Essos appears to be vast. We don't know about the prevailing winds so we can't make easy assumptions.

7 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

My point is Planetos is supposedly larger than Earth and the distance between west coast of Westeros and East coast of Essos appears to be vast. We don't know about the prevailing winds so we can't make easy assumptions.

Again, physics. It won't be larger than earth, even by a bit, because gravity would be a lot more. Since all of the animals mentioned in the world are the same as those on earth, gravity must be about the same and consequently the overall size must be about the same.

Prevailing winds are largely determined by the rotation of the planet. Physics.

Just now, tugela said:

Again, physics. It won't be larger than earth, even by a bit, because gravity would be a lot more. Since all of the animals mentioned in the world are the same as those on earth, gravity must be about the same and consequently the overall size must be about the same.

Prevailing winds are largely determined by the rotation of the planet. Physics.

I'm just going by what the author says. Physics on Earth isn't underpinned by magic, remember.

and um, dragons and direwolves??

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

I'm just going by what the author says. Physics on Earth isn't underpinned by magic, remember.

and um, dragons and direwolves??

Cows, horses, wolves?

Direwolves are real btw. They are just extinct.

@tugela

Dragons are considerably bigger than the ocean-going birds that you mentioned: they are almost certainly unable to drift on air currents for long distances, which would mean they'd get tired out very quickly. Remember also that the physics in this world also works alongside magic.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, Protector of Stokeworth said:

We know (HBO) that Dany will go back to Vaes Dothrak -> going back (to the past).

the only thing we know from HBO is that the writers of the GoT series are abysmally bad as is the taste of the general public. After that, we know nothing.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:10 AM, Protector of Stokeworth said:

To reach the west she is to go east.

I find it odd that people always think that West is where she belongs. After all, she is told to remember who she is and where she comes from. As a Targaryen, her place is not Westeros. Yes, Aegon I conquered and created westeros and for nearly 300 years the Targaryen's called that home and ruled. However, they were never westerosi. Catelyn mentions that Targaryen's do not answer to man or god. They were some kind of ethereal beings above everything in westeros. Dany, as a targ, belongs in the east. I suspect that that is where she will stay.

To be honest, I think dany is not likely to survive very long but before she dies she will probably remember that conquering westeros was Viscerys dream and not hers. Her dream was a house with a red door, a lemon tree and grass under her feet. Maybe, before the end, she will realize that......and maybe that is what Quaithe was talking about.

Archived