(SPOILERS) Criticise Without Reprecussion - Rant & Tear apart

24 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

What a great character he was, and could have been, but no... groveling grumpy cat with rabies fool.

Oh, and I need to be there with you... when he burned her letter in the books. They 180-ed him, yet again.

Exactly :( 
I'm still hoping this is some buildup for Jaime changing when he's off to the Riverlands, but who knows...

7 minutes ago, Nina of Winter said:

Exactly :( 
I'm still hoping this is some buildup for Jaime changing when he's off to the Riverlands, but who knows...

The seem to love the BIG MOMENT. So it could be they do a 180 again. But that seems rather much for even them.

Usually they pull something out of nowhere. This would be pulling it out of nowhere and then going in reverse.

1 hour ago, Neds Secret said:

Sadly enough I see a little truth in what you are saying. I hope you are wrong, I pray that you are wrong but I do admit that there are too many plots and characters for us to be fully invested in them all and a lot of people and places feel like filler.

Some people read books, some people read Sparknotes.

No judgement--but that is the distinction we are talking about here.

The books are not perfect. But they respect the reader's intelligence and are not filled with bullshit.

You can't take shortcuts and expect the same result. That is the biggest problem with the show: D&D want to take a different path from the books but somehow still end up in the same place. Doesn't work in life, doesn't work here. Look at what they did to Jaime.

Popcorn or steak? Your choice.

If the High Sparrow really wants to stir shit up he will just have Loras be the champion against the Mountain by telling Loras if he wins he can go free and clear of "sin". That would certainly cause some issues between the Tyrells and Lannisters considering Loras will have his head ripped off by a Lannister "champion". 

I swear if this happens I will be onboard the High Sparrow equates to HR theory. 

1 minute ago, draft0 said:

The books are not perfect. But they respect the reader's intelligence and are not filled with bullshit.

You can't take shortcuts and expect the same result. That is the biggest problem with the show: D&D want to take a different path from the books but somehow still end up in the same place. Doesn't work in life, doesn't work here. Look at what they did to Jaime.

Agreed. There are plenty to criticise about the books, but they atleast have the bare minimum that every written work, no matter the medium, should have in my opinion.  Namely logic, consistency, themes, characters, motives, story progression, etc. GoT, in its current state fails at almost all of them. That's why the books are better. 

How can a medieval actress afford an elite killer?

The actor who played Sam's dad seems to be typecast as evil father... Nevertheless, why in the seven hells did  Sam expect this to be a safe place for Gilly and Little Sam? Of course, just because Evil Dad threatened to kill his own son, doesn't mean he won't love and protect his lover and illegitimate child, right?

And wow, I've been waiting for Benjen to return, but I was seriously underwhelmed...

Each of Dany's speeches is more embarrassing than the last. Break the wheel, yadda yadda... This one vaguely reminded me of an American pre-war speech... Can't put my finger on it, the "I'll ask more of you ..." part.

But hey, she'll need 1000 ships -- just the number of ships Euron is having built out of thin air. Neat!

Speaking of the ships... Are they only shipping the warriors and horses over there, leaving women and children behind? How is this going to work?

Benjen had fireballs coming out of his eyes, fireballs coming out of his ears, fireballs coming out of his wherever.  I mean seriously, where the fuck was that fire coming from?  Did he have a zippo with him?

Dany's many moments of being the white woman asking the groups of brown people to serve her will never be comfortable to look at on screen.  It's even worse when it becomes clear that she's going to take her army and her dragon(s) and leave all of her freed slaves at the mercy of whomever.  Because Westeros and chill, or something.  

I sort of regret agreeing to watch this with my SO this season.  

20 minutes ago, draft0 said:

I just worry about the extra characters and  plots in affc and adwd, I think they are nowhere near as focused as the first 3 books, and I am entitled to having  those feelings. And for the record I monumentally prefer the books to the show!

22 minutes ago, The Boastful Knight said:

Hehe, I'm sure that's not how he put it. Anyway, I'm curious now. Which ideas are those?

Like you, I used to think Cogman was the best writer of the show (not that the standards are very high). However, after last season I just lost any respect for his writing abilities.

In answer to your question, I understand he was the one behind the idea of replacing Jeyne Poole for Sansa Stark. Leaving aside the dismal writing behind the Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken eppisode, the idea that you can just replace the characters like that shows very little understanding of the thematic elements in the source material. 

I understand he is also the one responsible for the Dorne plotline. Enough said.

Just now, -Winterfellian- said:

Like you, I used to think Cogman was the best writer of the show (not that the standards are very high). However, after last season I just lost any respect for his writing abilities.

In answer to your question, I understand he was the one behind the idea of replacing Jeyne Poole for Sansa Stark. Leaving aside the dismal writing behind the Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken eppisode, the idea that you can just replace the characters like that shows very little understanding of the thematic elements in the source material. 

I understand he is also the one responsible for the Dorne plotline. Enough said.

OK, if that's true then I also lost some respect form him. Still think D&D are worse, because they really are the bottom of the barrel, talentless hacks who somehow got to produce an HBO show.

Margaery actually getting brainwashed is the biggest bullshit ever.

And Dany does another one of her glorious conquering speeches resulting in everyone chanting for her that I just rolled my eyes.

At least Bronn will appear, finally.

1 minute ago, The Boastful Knight said:

OK, if that's true then I also lost some respect form him. Still think D&D are worse, because they really are the bottom of the barrel, talentless hacks who somehow got to produce an HBO show.

Oh yeah, Ding and Dong remain responsible from almost everything worng with this show. 

Please let this be the last of Dany´s white savior speeches! I never was a a big fan of Book Dany but show Dany is just completely insuffrable.

23 minutes ago, draft0 said:

That sums it up nicely :o)

Whenever I dare to visit other forums (like Watchers on the Wall and such) where everyone thinks everything D&D do is awesome! epic! and whatnot.... I see that "booksnobs" are always trampled on and insulted. Because these forums worship the show without any real criticism but most claim to have knowledge of the books and the events to come ("Cleganebowl!!! Awesome!Epic!") - I guess they just read summaries on Westeros.org ( or "gameofthrones.wikia" more like) - which is apparently their "Sparknotes".:huh:

Best part of the episode for me was Tarly senior calling Gilly "it". His scowls and glaring were great and definitely was the highlight of the episode. How very close he was to rescinding guest right before Mom stopped him. Close one for Sam on that one. 

30 minutes ago, med1 said:

If the High Sparrow really wants to stir shit up he will just have Loras be the champion against the Mountain by telling Loras if he wins he can go free and clear of "sin". That would certainly cause some issues between the Tyrells and Lannisters considering Loras will have his head ripped off by a Lannister "champion". 

I swear if this happens I will be onboard the High Sparrow equates to HR theory. 

Why Loras when they can get the King himself as their champion?

6 minutes ago, Drz said:

Why Loras when they can get the King himself as their champion?

Yeah that would certainly cause issues too to say the least. I just think Loras is the more likely given where he currently is and how he will likely agree to anything to get out not realizing who his opponent would be. 

Of course I doubt this happens anyhow since we will probably see the Hound. 

What was the point of showing Bran's visions if they were just going to be a fractured and incoherent vomit of information? And did we really need to see the Braavosi actor playing Tywin pretend to let out flatulence? This episode wasted so much time lingering on pointless scenes. 

Even the Benjen-Coldhands revelation didn't answer very much. 

Don't even get me started with Daenreys' little speech at the end. All she ever does is give boastful speeches of her power and her inheritance and her right to the throne. Her character hasn't developed whatsoever and her only real strength is her immunity to fire. I wish her scenes were just cut out altogether. 

30 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

How can a medieval actress afford an elite killer?

The actor who played Sam's dad seems to be typecast as evil father... Nevertheless, why in the seven hells did  Sam expect this to be a safe place for Gilly and Little Sam? Of course, just because Evil Dad threatened to kill his own son, doesn't mean he won't love and protect his lover and illegitimate child, right?

And wow, I've been waiting for Benjen to return, but I was seriously underwhelmed...

Each of Dany's speeches is more embarrassing than the last. Break the wheel, yadda yadda... This one vaguely reminded me of an American pre-war speech... Can't put my finger on it, the "I'll ask more of you ..." part.

But hey, she'll need 1000 ships -- just the number of ships Euron is having built out of thin air. Neat!

Speaking of the ships... Are they only shipping the warriors and horses over there, leaving women and children behind? How is this going to work?

And what will be the consequences for Westeros of dropping 100,000 dothraki screamers right into Westeros, it will be like a pandora box, once it's open you can never close it again, once the  Dothraki arrive in   Westeros, I cannot see them leaving? It will be a civil war without end, a clash of cultures, religions and then you add I the pending WW invasion and it really will be Biblical times in Westeros, Armageddon x 1000!

Archived