NHL 2016 - The Kids Are Alright

Jabronius Maximus

I think McLellan and Therrien might be candidates for the Adams trophy, too.  McLellan simply on virtue of getting Edmonton Oilers from draft lottery winners, to a play off team. But as much as it hurts to say, I think Tortorella might be an early favorite.

As of now, I would say the Calder will go to Matthews. Burns looks like the favorite for the Norris atm. Maybe even a darkhorse for the Hart.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw a story on the local (DC) news about this player from UAE.

She's very impressive for someone who started playing only 8 years ago, at age 18. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/02/08/united-arab-emirates-hockey-player-has-the-best-reaction-to-meeting-alex-ovechkin/?utm_term=.219f94e5564d

The one-timer in the article video was meh, but on the longer news clip she was nailing the upper corner. 

I posted this in the MLB thread but it should be posted in the hockey thread as well.

Motown mourns tonight.

Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings and Little Ceasars Chaiman of the Board, billionaire Mike Illitch has passed away at 87 years of age. 

Illitch was building the new Little Caesars arena in the downtown Detroit area, the Red Wings and Pistons will share that arena beginning next season. The new arena along with Ford Field (Lions) and Comerica Park (Tigers) brings all 4 major Detroit sports franchises back to the downtown area.

It was reported often how Verlander and Miggy and all the guys on the Tigers wanted to win a another championship for Mr Illitch, as Illitch let it be known that was his last great wish. This was a owner that cared about his community, his players and the fans. Rest in peace Mr Illitch you will be remembered in Motown as one of the great ones.

The tweets are pouring in from Red Wings and Tigers with praises like "The best owner in sports."

Eta: Apparently Illitch quietly paid Rosa Parks rent for over a decade because he wanted to make sure she had a safe place to stay. Perfect example of the kind of man he was. http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/us/mike-ilitch-rosa-parks-trnd/index.html

3 hours ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

In an absolutely hilarious sequence of events, Claude Julien is now coach of the Habs. He replaced Therrien as coach for the 2nd time. The circle is complete, lol. 

Also, this gives the best rivalry in the league some much needed spice. 

Yeah I thought the hiring and scenario of prior events was interesting. I wonder how many 1st place teams in the 4 major sports have replaced their HC halfway through the season before?

22 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah I thought the hiring and scenario of prior events was interesting. I wonder how many 1st place teams in the 4 major sports have replaced their HC halfway through the season before?

The Devils fired Julien in 07 with 3 games left. They were tied for 1st place at the time, iirc. I don't care what he says, Lou Lamoriello had to regret that one. 

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Devils fired Julien in 07 with 3 games left. They were tied for 1st place at the time, iirc. I don't care what he says, Lou Lamoriello had to regret that one. 

That's a crazy philosophy. I don't get it. Though I thought Therrien grew stale in Pittsburgh the season he was thrown out for Dan Bylsma. Go figure that was the very season we won the cup. We were not in first place, however. IIRC, we were not in the top 8 in the East so a change was needed. 

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Well today is Jaromir Jagr's 45th birthday. He's played in every game for the Panthers this season and is 3rd on the team with 31 points. I remember when he debuted with the Pens in 1990, when I was 10...

Yeah his longevity is insane. I'll always consider him a Penguin regardless how many teams he's played for since he left. I look forward to the day we retire his number. Well deserved...

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Well today is Jaromir Jagr's 45th birthday. He's played in every game for the Panthers this season and is 3rd on the team with 31 points. I remember when he debuted with the Pens in 1990, when I was 10...

They should forgo the waiting period to get into the HoF when he retires. Put him in that day. 

18 hours ago, Nictarion said:

They should forgo the waiting period to get into the HoF when he retires. Put him in that day. 

I know they did that for Lemieux, but I think that had more to do with how he retired at the time (the first time) due to his health. I'd have no problem with them doing it for Jagr due to the longevity and production achieved during his career.

I had to look at what Gordie Howe was doing at 45, and he was dropping 100 points in 70 games for the Houston Aeros of the WHA. Sick.

Sid with career point 1,000 against the Jets. Bittersweet as he should've reached this milestone a couple years ago.  He's missed over 2 regular seasons worth of games in his career due to injury. That'll be a shame when you look at his career stats once he hangs it up. You could tack on another 200 points, roughly.

Heard some trade talk the other day regarding Landeskog and a Pens possibility. I wouldn't mind having him, though I would be weary with messing with our lineup as it is about 98% the same as our cup team last year. We only lost Lovejoy in the offseason - no big deal. I've heard Pouliot mentioned which I don't mind at all at this point. He's like ordering a bouquet of flowers and one of them never blooms. Doumolin blossomed into an absolutely gorgeous flower with vibrant plumage and then there's the brown, wilted Pouliot lying next to him. Time for him to go. Also heard Sprong and Guentzel mentioned. Guentz has certainly done a good job of promoting himself this season when he gets on the ice. Sprong is a nice prospect that has been sidelined from a shoulder injury last season. I don't know... The thought of getting Landeskog excites me but I don't wanna mess with something when it's not broke. Hell we're not even broke, we're firing on all cylinders...

5 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I know they did that for Lemieux, but I think that had more to do with how he retired at the time (the first time) due to his health. I'd have no problem with them doing it for Jagr due to the longevity and production achieved during his career.

I had to look at what Gordie Howe was doing at 45, and he was dropping 100 points in 70 games for the Houston Aeros of the WHA. Sick.

The WHA was no joke either. We had the Stingers here in Cincinnati, and although it was before my time, I know Mark Messier played here. Gretzky started in the WHA as well, iirc. 

Think that WHA team was when Howe was playing with his sons too. Imagine being old enough to have sons on the team and still being that dominant. :o

Archived