NHL 2016 - The Kids Are Alright

Jabronius Maximus

50 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Lovejoy is fucking awful. I wish you guys would take him back. :P

Lol yeah he played decent last season and found a suitor. Usually the way it goes.

Pretty magical night in the Burgh. Crosby gets his 1000th career point by out-muscling/working Wheeler and feeding Kunitz. Malkin makes a huge hit on Wheeler in the third. That's something you'll never see Malkin get credit for, but I love him for it. You'll never see Crosby do that. Jets knocked two of our D-men out (legally) and Malkin sees an opportunity for a hit and absolutely lays Wheeler out. Not afraid to get his nose dirty. Fleury let a god awful goal in from Byufiglien. Game goes to OT and Malkin to Crosby for the winner was brilliant. 

11 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Lol yeah he played decent last season and found a suitor. Usually the way it goes.

Pretty magical night in the Burgh. Crosby gets his 1000th career point by out-muscling/working Wheeler and feeding Kunitz. Malkin makes a huge hit on Wheeler in the third. That's something you'll never see Malkin get credit for, but I love him for it. You'll never see Crosby do that. Jets knocked two of our D-men out (legally) and Malkin sees an opportunity for a hit and absolutely lays Wheeler out. Not afraid to get his nose dirty. Fleury let a god awful goal in from Byufiglien. Game goes to OT and Malkin to Crosby for the winner was brilliant. 

Crazy that they still pulled out the win playing with 4 defensemen as long as they did too. Haven't seen anything on either Maata or Schultz yet, but if one of them is out for a while, the Pens are going to have to get active in acquiring some blue line help. Pouliot won't cut it.

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Crazy that they still pulled out the win playing with 4 defensemen as long as they did too. Haven't seen anything on either Maata or Schultz yet, but if one of them is out for a while, the Pens are going to have to get active in acquiring some blue line help. Pouliot won't cut it.

Yeah I'm done with Pouliot. Time to go. I'm a little concerned about tonight's game against a rival that killed us last time we went to their place. Huge, emotional game last night I just hope we have something in the tank tonight.

8 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

In case you didn't see Maata had hand surgery and is out till April at least. Haven't heard any word on Schultz. 

4 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

In case you didn't see Maata had hand surgery and is out till April at least. Haven't heard any word on Schultz. 

Jesus. I'm about done with that schmo, too. Always hurt, always mediocre. 

Pens get a point tonight and even though you hate to give a point to a division rival in the playoff chase, I'll take the point as we had a hard game last night. Dubinsky is still a schmuck. 

On 2/17/2017 at 7:15 PM, Reny of Storms End said:

Concussed.  No timeframe yet, but I'd assume at least 3 weeks, probably more.  Hopefully the Pens recent habit of rehabilitating formerly useless defensemen helps get them decent trades at the deadline.  

And yeah, its time to jettison Maata.  Nice guy who never (through absolutely no fault of his own!) lived up to his potential.  Shame.  

e:  fuck Dubinsky now and forever. 

On 2/18/2017 at 11:39 PM, MerenthaClone said:

Concussed.  No timeframe yet, but I'd assume at least 3 weeks, probably more.  Hopefully the Pens recent habit of rehabilitating formerly useless defensemen helps get them decent trades at the deadline.  

And yeah, its time to jettison Maata.  Nice guy who never (through absolutely no fault of his own!) lived up to his potential.  Shame.  

e:  fuck Dubinsky now and forever. 

It certainly makes their deadline decisions easier.  They have holes to fill on the blueline.  And they have to bargain now from a position of weakness.

Sadly, it also makes it unlikely they will move Pouliot.

Should be interesting.  Hopefully they can work out a deal that moves Fluery and brings in something that sticks, but his stock has to be pretty low by now around the league, so I'd settle for rentals.

We were at the Coyotes game sitting right behind him when he gave it away on overtime...  Painful.....

Its the obvious, most-talked about move, but getting Shattenkirk now seems like priority #1 for the Pens.  Depending on how long Daley stays out, the Penguins might be missing half of their top 6 defense in the final weeks of the season.  Fortunately, the Blues also really need a goalie.  

Trade: #Pens acquire Ron Hainsey from the #Canes in return for a 2nd round pick and Danny Kristo.

i don't hate this, though the price seems a little steep.  Looks like Daley is out 6 weeks.

trhis is the problem with negotiating from a position of weakness, and why they should have handled some of this in the offseason (aka:  Move MAF.)

There's also this:

Jason MackeyVerified account?@JMackeyPG  1m1 minute ago
Thought it was interesting Rutherford said that LTIR for Maatta and Daley isn't in play. Could return before end of regular season.

I'm on the fence with this one.  i guess it depends how many games they would be available for

Using the LTIR for Daley and Matta would give them about 7m in cap space I think.

On February 24, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Mark Antony said:

I wish Filip Forsberg was as good all year as he is after January. What a player though.

Yeah I like him too. What's going on with Preds? Look like a good squad on paper. Johansen not working out?

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah I like him too. What's going on with Preds? Look like a good squad on paper. Johansen not working out?

Hes done pretty good. Hes a great passer, wish he had a bit more ruthless of a shot. Honestly our problems of late have been down to giving up too many goals which has never really been a problem for us before. Rinne hasnt been good enough, still have hopes we can squeeze into the playoffs though.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

Caps get Shattenkirk for a 1st in 2017, a conditional 2nd in 2018 and a prospect. Big price to pay for an expiring contract but the Caps sure are going all in it seems.

Shit better than what the Wild gave up for fucking Hanzal. Makes me think Duchene wont be traded. Im sure the asking price is ridiculous. 

18 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Caps get Shattenkirk for a 1st in 2017, a conditional 2nd in 2018 and a prospect. Big price to pay for an expiring contract but the Caps sure are going all in it seems.

I'm just glad he didn't go to the Rags (he expressed interest in doing so). :D

4 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Fuckdamnshit.  Ok.  Well, here's hoping the Pens medical staff are literal miracle-workers.  And yeah, this is definitely near the end of the Caps' window to make a really good run for it, so its nice to see them going all-in.  Shame the Metro is such a slaughterhouse at the top.  

e:  I feel like the Pens could easily match that price too, making it weirder.  Maybe its that our prospects are better than the Caps and feel like it'd be a waste to give one up for a rental?  I can buy that given the ridiculous potential of Guentzel, Sprong, and Sundqvist.  Still a shame given how fucked the Pens blueline is right now and in the future, though.  

7 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Fuckdamnshit.  Ok.  Well, here's hoping the Pens medical staff are literal miracle-workers.  And yeah, this is definitely near the end of the Caps' window to make a really good run for it, so its nice to see them going all-in.  Shame the Metro is such a slaughterhouse at the top.  

e:  I feel like the Pens could easily match that price too, making it weirder.  Maybe its that our prospects are better than the Caps and feel like it'd be a waste to give one up for a rental?  I can buy that given the ridiculous potential of Guentzel, Sprong, and Sundqvist.  Still a shame given how fucked the Pens blueline is right now and in the future, though.  

Shattenkirk makes the Caps power play even more potent, which is a scary thing, but I don't know if this is the type of move that puts them over the hump. They are the classic regular season team that is really good but just doesn't get it done come playoff time, and that's a big monkey to try and get off your back with the Metro being as you stated. Shit, Metro teams occupy 4 of the top 6 spots in points in the NHL. An excellent team or two isn't getting out of the first round this year.

I'm glad the Pens haven't given up any of the forwards you mention as of yet, but I don't think our blueline is in as bad shape as you do. Hainsey was a solid pickup and if Daley and Maata get back before the playoffs, they are a legit 7 strong on D. I like Ruhwedel and Oleksy is serviceable for a few games here and there. Granted I'd prefer that neither of them see action in the playoffs, but if the Pens avoid the injury bug going forward, I like their chances.

Archived