NHL 2016 - The Kids Are Alright

Jabronius Maximus

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Shattenkirk makes the Caps power play even more potent, which is a scary thing, but I don't know if this is the type of move that puts them over the hump. They are the classic regular season team that is really good but just doesn't get it done come playoff time, and that's a big monkey to try and get off your back with the Metro being as you stated. Shit, Metro teams occupy 4 of the top 6 spots in points in the NHL. An excellent team or two isn't getting out of the first round this year.

I'm glad the Pens haven't given up any of the forwards you mention as of yet, but I don't think our blueline is in as bad shape as you do. Hainsey was a solid pickup and if Daley and Maata get back before the playoffs, they are a legit 7 strong on D. I like Ruhwedel and Oleksy is serviceable for a few games here and there. Granted I'd prefer that neither of them see action in the playoffs, but if the Pens avoid the injury bug going forward, I like their chances.

Agreed.  That's way too much to give up for a rental player.  

Looking strictly at his numbers: 4 goals, 24 assists in 47 playoff games.

Very solid, but not really extraordinary.

Looked online today and saw a lot of Caps talk about how they're "going all in" and 'they were the favorites before this trade and now they are certainly favorites to win it all after the trade.' God damn give me a break.... They can be as pretty as they want on paper but they're like a hockey version of a catfish trick. This Ovie crew has never been out of the second round. Throw in a pretty good rental from the West's version of the Caps and I don't see any difference. He'll walk at season's end with no hardware and sign with the highest bidder. Glad we didn't move anyone. I think we're fine the way we are.

Streit to PGH for a 4th rounder.  Seems like a pretty good deal.

Fehr and a few picks to toronto for a nobody.  Not sure I understand that move.  Likely just a salary move I guess.

Essentially Streit and Corrado for Olesky, Fehr and two 4ths.

ETA:  And it looks like Tampa retains 50% of Steits salary.

39 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Streit to PGH for a 4th rounder.  Seems like a pretty good deal.

Fehr and a few picks to toronto for a nobody.  Not sure I understand that move.  Likely just a salary move I guess.

Essentially Streit and Corrado for Olesky, Fehr and two 4ths.

ETA:  And it looks like Tampa retains 50% of Steits salary.

Nothing earth shattering, but that was to be expected. Fehr was placed on waivers a day or two ago so at least they got something in return I guess.

I'm assuming the market for MAF was nonexistent too.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Nothing earth shattering, but that was to be expected. Fehr was placed on waivers a day or two ago so at least they got something in return I guess.

I'm assuming the market for MAF was nonexistent too.

yeah.  I'm ok with this, though I wish they;d ahve moved Fluery in the offseason.

This doesn't really feel like their year anyway, so i'm glad they didn't ship out a lot of picks/prospects.  injuries, Stanley cup hangover, tough division.....

Good game by the Pens tonight. It was the right call to bring up Sestito knowing that it would be physical considering all the happened when we played the Jets last month. Sestito fought, but it still did not deter Malkin from dropping the gloves with Wheeler (whom he knocked the F out last month with a hit to the head). Malkin is by no means Floyd Mayweather, which he demonstrated tonight, but he has the stones to do it regardless of his fighting skill. He doesn't shy away from getting physical and I love him for that. He scored two goals as well which had to piss off the Jets fans. Eh, fuck em!!

10 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Good game by the Pens tonight. It was the right call to bring up Sestito knowing that it would be physical considering all the happened when we played the Jets last month. Sestito fought, but it still did not deter Malkin from dropping the gloves with Wheeler (whom he knocked the F out last month with a hit to the head). Malkin is by no means Floyd Mayweather, which he demonstrated tonight, but he has the stones to do it regardless of his fighting skill. He doesn't shy away from getting physical and I love him for that. He scored two goals as well which had to piss off the Jets fans. Eh, fuck em!!

Abandoning a beloved pet in crisis because the hockey game's on? Are you sure you're not Canadian?

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Abandoning a beloved pet in crisis because the hockey game's on? Are you sure you're not Canadian?

Lol one could make that comparison, but Renly is in good spirits right now. Check the thread in gen chat as I updated his latest progression.

17 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the smackdown placed upon the Jets last night. They had no choice but to bring up Sestito, the Pens have absolutely no one who can drop the gloves if things get out of hand. I didn't like his boarding hit on Emstrom (sp?), but that guy saw Sestito coming and still turned his back to him so the fault goes both ways there. Hope that dude is alright as they took him to the hospital last night. Looking forward to Crosby vs McDavid tomorrow night as well.

2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Blanked by the Flyers... Woof.

It wasn't surprising given how much they played and traveled out west last week, but I still hate losing to the Flyers like that. But the fact that we have 23 more points than them lessens the blow a bit.

15 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

It wasn't surprising given how much they played and traveled out west last week, but I still hate losing to the Flyers like that. But the fact that we have 23 more points than them lessens the blow a bit.

And are rocked by an injury roster that's impressive.  Hagelin, Hainsey, Hornqvist, Letang, Daley, Maata, Rust, and that's just right now.  The Pens played 5D for significant portions of that road trip too.  Letang's always been a massive portion of the Penguins blueline and having him out has pretty much always been associated with a minor slump.  

Archived