NHL 2016 - The Kids Are Alright

Jabronius Maximus

4 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah that is a tough blow. Especially with Letang considering his injury history. The guy has been through a lot. Losing him worries me greatly. We need to get on the mend if we're to defend the Cup.

Washington looked amazing last night. I know, we've been here before, but they really looked tough to beat.

Sucks about Letang. Overall they've played well without him and hopefully getting Daley back will help with getting the puck up ice better than they have been. Losing that 30 minutes a game that Letang eats up in the playoffs will be hard to replace though.

Good win over Columbus last night too, looks like that's the Pens first round opponent unless the Caps somehow shit the bed in the last few games...nevermind they'll wait for the playoffs to do that.

3 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Washington looked amazing last night. I know, we've been here before, but they really looked tough to beat.

Yeah, they've been there before, but it could always be their year to make it happen. The addition of Shat was beneficial to them. I'd imagine that we'll face each other at some point in the playoffs and I think it'll be a 6-7 game series. Which way it'll go will be hard to tell. Two months ago I felt like it was a sure deal for us to make it to the finals and now I'm feeling a little doubt. I will typically shit on the Caps because of their postseason woes, but the loss of Letang and our other injuries casts a good deal of doubt in me. I'm not afraid of any Atlantic team, and I think we will get through the Blue Jackets, which means that the Caps will be our final Eastern test. It will be a battle.

In regards to Letang, the Belichick mind in me thinks it could be time to consider dealing him. Concussions, stroke, and now a herniated disc in his neck, while pushing 30 years old, may be time to consider an alternative, as much as it pains me to say it.

19 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah, they've been there before, but it could always be their year to make it happen. The addition of Shat was beneficial to them. I'd imagine that we'll face each other at some point in the playoffs and I think it'll be a 6-7 game series. Which way it'll go will be hard to tell. Two months ago I felt like it was a sure deal for us to make it to the finals and now I'm feeling a little doubt. I will typically shit on the Caps because of their postseason woes, but the loss of Letang and our other injuries casts a good deal of doubt in me. I'm not afraid of any Atlantic team, and I think we will get through the Blue Jackets, which means that the Caps will be our final Eastern test. It will be a battle

I feel like we have this same conversation every year re: 'the caps will be different this year!'  I'll believe it when I see it.

As for Letang, i don't know that anyone would be jumping at the chance to snatch him up, for the exact reasons you put forward.  He played almost exactly half the games this year, and out record is virtually identical with him and without him.

Granted, his big value is in the minutes he eats during the playoffs, but if he can't reliably be counted on to do that, then who is gonna take on that cap hit for a guy that misses about 40% of the games and has been plagued by some pretty serious injuries?  

hate to say it, but best case scenario for everyone at this point may just be for him to retire, depending on the severity of his neck problems.

I agree with you in general though, this isn't the year for the penguins.  they should make a respectable showing, and anything can happen, but the stars would really need to align.  i just don't see it.

5 hours ago, Swordfish said:

I feel like we have this same conversation every year re: 'the caps will be different this year!'  I'll believe it when I see it.

As for Letang, i don't know that anyone would be jumping at the chance to snatch him up, for the exact reasons you put forward.  He played almost exactly half the games this year, and out record is virtually identical with him and without him.

Granted, his big value is in the minutes he eats during the playoffs, but if he can't reliably be counted on to do that, then who is gonna take on that cap hit for a guy that misses about 40% of the games and has been plagued by some pretty serious injuries?  

hate to say it, but best case scenario for everyone at this point may just be for him to retire, depending on the severity of his neck problems.

I agree with you in general though, this isn't the year for the penguins.  they should make a respectable showing, and anything can happen, but the stars would really need to align.  i just don't see it.

Shero would. He loves anything to do with the Penguins. How John Hynes still has his job or Ben Lovejoy plays the kind of minutes he does is beyond me. 

That Palat pass to Kuch was fabulous. They're making a strong push to get into the playoffs but it'll take some luck to get in. Shame, as I think they have a lot of good players. Stamkos with 2 devastating injuries the past 2 seasons is a bummer for them.

The Red Wings new Little Caesars Arena is going to be something special. 3 escalators, a practice rink and the Red Wings locker room alone will be over 25,000 square feet.

What a geat monument Mr. Illitch leaves Hockey Town. The atmosphere will be perfect for the Red Wings to start their next playoff streak and hopefully bring back the Stanley Cup again after this rebuild. http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19111195/nhl-detroit-red-wings-need-do-next

13 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Leafs are in, great comeback, Matthews hits 40...but if Andersen's injury is serious we're fucked. 

Yeah congrats to you guys, good win. You guys have a fun young team to watch. Especially if Kasperi Kapanen turns out to be something. I hope we don't regret that move someday, though I could never hate it cause Phil was a stud in the playoffs last year. Go figure Kap scores his first goal against us.

13 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Preds/Hawks :/ im scared

Yeah that story has pretty much one ending, traditionally.

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Red Wings new Little Caesars Arena is going to be something special. 3 escalators, a practice rink and the Red Wings locker room alone will be over 25,000 square feet.

What a geat monument Mr. Illitch leaves Hockey Town. The atmosphere will be perfect for the Red Wings to start their next playoff streak and hopefully bring back the Stanley Cup again after this rebuild. http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19111195/nhl-detroit-red-wings-need-do-next

Is it really called Little Caesar's arena? Lol.

13 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I'm rooting for the Caps in the East, Ovi deserves a Cup.

Sharks in the West. The Oilers and Flames are fun to watch, but I doubt either will make a deep run.

Marino deserved a Super Bowl. I can't think of any outstanding Ovi playoff performances. The guy is mediocre when it matters most. 

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah congrats to you guys, good win. You guys have a fun young team to watch. Especially if Kasperi Kapanen turns out to be something. I hope we don't regret that move someday, though I could never hate it cause Phil was a stud in the playoffs last year. Go figure Kap scores his first goal against us.

Kapanen turning into a phenom is still a worthwhile trade for the Pens because I don't see them winning the Cup last year (or possibly even the playoffs) without Kessel.  

5 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Marino deserved a Super Bowl. I can't think of any outstanding Ovi playoff performances. The guy is mediocre when it matters most. 

Marino is from Pittsburgh, so he can go straight to hell. :P

As for Ovi, easily one of the most exciting players I've ever watched. His passion for the game can't be denied. 

5 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Kapanen turning into a phenom is still a worthwhile trade for the Pens because I don't see them winning the Cup last year (or possibly even the playoffs) without Kessel.  

Yeah agreed.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Marino is from Pittsburgh, so he can go straight to hell. :P

As for Ovi, easily one of the most exciting players I've ever watched. His passion for the game can't be denied. 

Lol c'mon Nic you don't hate us that much do you?? ;)

And yeah, he's a beast, no doubt, just wish we could see some playoff brilliance from him. 

Archived