NHL 2016 - The Kids Are Alright

Jabronius Maximus

Yeah bummer about Crosby. I read the news with a lot of pessimism.  The concussion back in '11 cost him over 100 games.  I'd have to imagine this one won't be a quick turnaround due to his history, and it being the beginning of the season will probably leave the Pens being cautious with him.  We have a thick squad that can step up and win without him early on.  The HBK line was our third line.... That will move up to a very nice 2nd line as Malkin takes over the first line in the interim.  Historically, Malkin has played well without Crosby in the lineup so let's see if he can continue that trend.

To go back to the Crosby concussion, I'm curious as to when this actually happened.  I know Sullivan said that it happened this past Friday at practice, but I'm skeptical.  How intense could this preseason practice session be that could land a head blow to the captain of the team?  I got an ESPN alert on my phone Saturday morning stating that Crosby would be making his preseason debut later that day against the Blue Jackets.  However, just before the game starts, Crosby is ruled out. No doubt he was intending to play and then thought better of it and sat out.  My thing is, if he really got a serious head injury in practice on Friday, wouldn't they just rule him out for a meaningless preseason game the next day?  Why would they put word out that he was going to play? 

My hunch is that Crosby really suffered the injury in the World Cup and just never brought it up till the tourney was over and he came back to Pittsburgh.  Perhaps Crosby didn't want everyone to think that he got hurt while playing a meaningless game in the World Cup, for a team that isn't paying him a seven figure salary.

I think all of this conspiracy theory about the world cup is silly.  Even when people are being careful, accidents can happen.  Case in point: the only time a friend of mine has broken something while climbing, they fell about 6 inches.  I've seen friends repeatedly deck from 20 feet up and walk away slightly shaken up, but a six inch fall leads to a broken ankle because he landed on it just so.  Someone's skate catches an edge at just exactly the wrong moment, say, and you've got someone hitting Crosby's head at just the wrong angle and he gets a concussion.  Hell, look at the stick-to-the-eye that took out Lundqvist.  That's a freak thing that could have easily have happened in practice or whenever.  

Crosby is way too careful with his concussion injuries to "not bring it up".  

9 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

I think all of this conspiracy theory about the world cup is silly.  Even when people are being careful, accidents can happen.  Case in point: the only time a friend of mine has broken something while climbing, they fell about 6 inches.  I've seen friends repeatedly deck from 20 feet up and walk away slightly shaken up, but a six inch fall leads to a broken ankle because he landed on it just so.  Someone's skate catches an edge at just exactly the wrong moment, say, and you've got someone hitting Crosby's head at just the wrong angle and he gets a concussion.  Hell, look at the stick-to-the-eye that took out Lundqvist.  That's a freak thing that could have easily have happened in practice or whenever.  

Crosby is way too careful with his concussion injuries to "not bring it up".  

A hockey player getting a concussion in practice? Not to mention the captain and lead offensive player of the team? I don't see it happening. I especially don't buy it when he just got done playing 6-7 games at the world cup 1-2 weeks before it happening. You're basing this on "freak accidents", when I think it more likely that he got hurt in actual physical competition at WC. 

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

A hockey player getting a concussion in practice? Not to mention the captain and lead offensive player of the team? I don't see it happening. I especially don't buy it when he just got done playing 6-7 games at the world cup 1-2 weeks before it happening. You're basing this on "freak accidents", when I think it more likely that he got hurt in actual physical competition at WC. 

Uh, yes.  

I mean, that's a dude getting a concussion in practice.  This year.  Its not the captain or lead offensive player, sure, but there's no reason to go conspiracy theory on everyone because a bad thing happened.  

e:  vvvv  Dude's good.  Man.  

2 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Uh, yes.  

I mean, that's a dude getting a concussion in practice.  This year.  Its not the captain or lead offensive player, sure, but there's no reason to go conspiracy theory on everyone because a bad thing happened.  

e:  vvvv  Dude's good.  Man.  

Lol yeah I can't see anyone on Pittsburgh hitting Crosby like that in practice. Not happening.

And it's not a conspiracy theory.  It's a legitimate possibility that Crosby could've suffered the head injury a week before the alleged concussion took place. 

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I'm not sure what is more impressive, that he scored 4 goals or that the Leafs still managed to lose.

Oh, the former. Leads losing in a variety of ways has lost all novelty, but I'll take all the lottery odds we can get. 

Malkin with 149 pts in the 111 games Crosby has missed in his career. Hope that's a trend for tonight. I remember some classic games between Malkin and Ovechkin and the rivalry was always between those two, not Crosby. On ice, they legitimately seem like they don't like each other.

The Devils were lucky to get a point against the Panthers tonight. Florida looks really good. Jagr and Luongo both still look dominant. Age apparently hasn't caught up to either of them yet (if Jagr is even human). I expect the Panthers to be a contender to come out of the East this season. 

Archived