Is Dany becoming a megalomaniac? Is Bran?

Liuko

13 minutes ago, Woman of War said:

I will have to go into it later, House C., since I have to leave now. But of course it is intriguing how a legitimate social cause is interwoven with fanaticism, hiding the dangerous nucleus with a very understandable cause.

Like the East German communists making use of social democratic naïveté when turning Eastern Germany into the communist regime of GDR after the Second World War. Abusing the good intentions of those who challenge social injustice. 

I don't think Dany's character development curve is like that. For me she starts off genuinely and deeply principled - her anti-slavery stance was utterly sincere. What's happened is that she's become understandably deeply disillusioned with the real work of politics whilst finding the work of ruthless leadership much more to her taste. Watch, she'll return to Meereen with little interest in sorting out the master-ex-slave issues Tyrion's trying so hard to resolve. I've even speculated that this will appall Missandei so much that she'll try to assassinate her.

2 hours ago, Woman of War said:

I did not mean that Dany's speech was terribly written by the showmakers. Nor will it be terribly written by Martin. You have very much misinterpreted my post.

I meant that the development of Dany's character, in both show and book, might go in a direction I might find very sad. This has nothing to do with the quality of writing, neither in books nor in show. The thoroughly bad feeling I have might be fully intended by Martin and the show only follows Martin's idea of Dany's character.

She is one of my very favorite characters so far ..... :(

that was my post above:

"When Dany made her stirring speech I got the vibe of Hitler's Sportpalast Total War Speech. Here she is not the breaker of chains but the conqueror of a continent. Westeros has as much use for her as for any High Lord or Lady or for any High House, be it Lannister, Targaeryen, Stark or Tyrell. She brings war to people who have not waited for her nor any other ruler but who care about their children surviving, about harvest, rain and sun, paraphrasing Jorah.

Hitler made his speech before a carefully selected audience who was certain to cheer for his total war.. Dany here does not promise freedom to slaves but instrumentalises a people for her cause, feeding them lunatic ideas of greatness. See the similarities.

"I ask you: Do you want total war? If necessary, do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine? [......] Now, people rise up and let the storm break loose!"

Feb 18, 1943

Only I believe and I hope that Dany herself will learn her lesson and will turn all her force against the real enemy. We all hope that but in that speech terror came with a beautiful face."

You know shortly after Dany made that speech I turned to the person with whom I was watching GOT and said something to the effect,"fuck, it seems like they should have had the Horst Wessel Lied playing in the background or something while she made that speech."

It seems you weren't the only one that made the connection there. That was why I responded to your post.

Anyway, I did not intend to attribute to you my own idea of why Dany made that completely idioitic speech. I don't think I misinterpreted anything.

I think its well known, on this forum, that I'm not particularly fond of Dany. That said, I was actually trying to be a bit charitable here towards her character. I just figured if they made Asha's show character come off like an ignorant idiot and who said something that was completely the opposite of what book Asha said, then it stands to reason in my view, they would do the same to Dany.

I'd hope, before Dany launches her invasion into Westeros, she would develop a bit more nuanced view of the situation there, given the fact of her father's terrible reign. I'd expect her to go there. But, if she doesn't, and just expects everyone to fall down and kiss her butt, then as far as I'm concerned, she can get herself a one-way ticket to hell. I am not fond of autocrats, whether they tend to be of the short, browned hair, and pudgy variety or whether they are of the silvery blond hair, violet eyes, and most "beautiful woman in the world" variety. Both can fuck off, as far as I'm concerned.

Archived