Best Stephen King movie/tv show adaptations

Calibandar

Something about The Stand that's so delicious.

"Baby can you dig yo man"

2 classic underrated classic lines from The Stand.

- Parker Lewis Can't Lose tells that lady to "Make like a library and book"

- the rock star guys mom tells him his singing sounds like a black guy and he says "That brown sound sho do get around"

11.22.63 was a pretty pleasent surprise to see done well on screen but I still love the book more because of all the time and feels which went into the school teaching years and assasination era.

On 5/29/2016 at 0:08 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think Pet Semetary is a very good Horror flick when you consider the timeframe. It came out in an era of slasher flicks (Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St, etc) and was very different than the standard fare of the day. That movie also scared the living shit out of me when I was a kid. Good stuff, Maynard.

TRUTH! I started reading King when I was around 10 years old, and this film was probably the most vividly frightening King adaptation I saw as a kid. Follwed closely by Tim Curry's Pennywise the Demonclown from It. 

I never got into the Dark Tower series, but my all time absolute favorite King novel is The Stand and I thought the  Gary Sinese mini-series was pretty decent. As for ranking the films, I think watchMojo did a good job of ranking movies adapted from King's work. I'd of course put Pet Cemetery on there instead of Dead Zone. Probably Running Man would have to be in my list as well, although I never read the source material on that one, so I'm not sure how much of an adaptation it truly is. 

I haven't seen or read 11.22.63 yet but I hear good things about the book and Hulu series. 

14 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

<>

I haven't seen or read 11.22.63 yet but I hear good things about the book and Hulu series. 

I felt 11.22.63 was a real return to form for Stephen King.  I found it a real page-turner in a way I hadn't for King books for quite some time.

I thought the tv version of The Stand was horrific.  Molly Ringwald as Fran was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I felt like any moment, Ducky was going to appear, or maybe some other character actor from a John Hughes flick.  I actually hoped that this would happen; it would have made The Stand easier to take.  The book was good; the tv series sucked.

My personal favorite (although I also love Shawshank) is Silver Bullet.  I love a good werewolf story, and this one delivers.  Gary Busey is actually good...I think he's just playing himself.  And the werewolf is super creepy, both as a werewolf and a man.  

On 07/07/2016 at 0:10 PM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

TRUTH! I started reading King when I was around 10 years old, and this film was probably the most vividly frightening King adaptation I saw as a kid. Follwed closely by Tim Curry's Pennywise the Demonclown from It. 

I never got into the Dark Tower series, but my all time absolute favorite King novel is The Stand and I thought the  Gary Sinese mini-series was pretty decent. As for ranking the films, I think watchMojo did a good job of ranking movies adapted from King's work. I'd of course put Pet Cemetery on there instead of Dead Zone. Probably Running Man would have to be in my list as well, although I never read the source material on that one, so I'm not sure how much of an adaptation it truly is. 

it pretty much has the same title, thats about it.  

not sure if its been mentioned previously but there is a very strong correlation between the quality of adaptation and the lack of fantastical elements.  

• 7 months later...

Interesting

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/stephen-king-jj-abrams-tease-secret-project-castle-rock-w467779

The Hollywood Reporter speculates that Castle Rock will be an anthology series where "each season will follow a different set of character and story lines while interjecting themes and specific characters from previous seasons," like how Fargo mines the Coen Brothers' cinematic universe.

The Shawshank Redemption film was better than the novel, but a big part of why is because we can see stuff in the film that we can't see in the book, because the book is entirely from Red's POV. I also think Book-Andy was less believable as a character than Film-Andy, because Book-Andy was a little bit too thinking-ten-steps-ahead genius (he set up everything he needed to start a new life after escaping in the day between when his estranged wife was murdered and when he was arrested, including fake passport, fake ID, fake everything, wad of cash, etc). Film-Andy's escape was more opportunistic, and I like that he turned what he did for the Warden against him in doing so. 

I don't think the Shining film is better than the book, but that's probably because The Shining novel is still my favorite King book, and Jack Torrance one of the best-written characters King has ever done. 

My favorite are Needful Things and The Running Man. I can't say what the bests ones are though.

Needful Things is getting a remake IIRC. I can't imagine anyone but Colm Feore as Leland Gaunt. 

• 2 months later...

Shawshank, Green Mile and Stand by Me are his best adaptations as far as acting and production.

I grew up on King and his books and movies, so there are several out there that are bad by movie standards that I love.

The Stand is among my favorites. It, The Mist, The Langoliers, and Silver Bullet are all great, though. Gary Busey getting drunk and thrown around the living room in Silver Bullet is just great cinema!

Worst by far is 11/22/1963. What a major letdown from what was a great book.

Archived