Why are so many interested in Arya having a love interest

Ssangkall

It's what some people are interested in. You don't need to understand it.

I, for one, am in the same boat you are with regards to, frankly, not caring. But, it's something that'll come to people's minds. Again, you don't need to understand it.

Edit: I would liken those threads to a different set of threads where people speculate that if x or y didn't occur, or occurred differently, what might happen. An equal waste of time in my eyes, but if that's what floats people's boats, let'em have at it.

Because she is a teenager, not some 70+ nun (or monk, to counter the claim of gender bias). Teenagers are expected to discover their sexuality, fall in love, get hurt, get wiser, fall in love again ...

Basically Arya is the only member of the cast without one. Well, Bran's puppy-love in regards to Meera may not qualify as a proper one, but he's still a couple years shy of puberty. Arya is right in it or could/should be.

Jon got Ygritte, Val and Aly Karstark.

Sansa got Joffrey and Sandor Clegane.

Ned and Cat were happily married.

Tyrion got Tysha and Shae.

Jaime got Cersei and Brienne.

Cersei got Jaime.

Davos is happily married.

Brienne got Renly and Jaime.

Theon fucked around.

Asha got Quarl and Tris Botley.

Sam got Gilly.

Arianne got Arys Oakheart, the Red Viper, Daemon Sand and a bunch of unnamed ones hinted at.

JonCon got Rhaegar (and maybe Toyne).

Victarion got the mess with his wife and Euron.

Any PoV except for the Damphair (who was hinted at to have been raped by Euron, with all accompagnying issues), Bran (the only real kid) and Arya got one or more love interests mentioned.

1 minute ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Because romance and sexuality are a tremendous part of our identities as human beings ignoring that makes a character less believable.

What about those who don't really have sexual inclinations towards people? Asexuality's a thing.

4 minutes ago, Neolaina said:

What about those who don't really have sexual inclinations towards people? Asexuality's a thing.

Which affects an incredibly low amount of the population, therefore not being very likely for Arya to be the case, and identifying that personality trait in the first place would be as much part of exploring a teenager's budding sexuality as for any other inclination.

1 minute ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Which affects an incredibly low amount of the population, therefore not being very likely for Arya to be the case, and identifying that personality trait in the first place would be as much part of exploring a teenager's budding sexuality as for any other inclination.

I take the first point to be irrelevant, since we're talking about a fictional character to whom any qualities can be applied by the author. The absence of such development, then, should stop us from assuming anything might be the case. Your second point is, however, is undeniable. I'd wager such development will eventually come, and one can explain the lack thereof in the past in many ways (e.g. preoccupation with vengeance.).

I just feel like she needs love in her life. If she can't get it from family ( at the moment in the books) then hopefully with a partner. If what George said was true at the Baltimore Con about Arya and Gendry reuniting... One choice. There is foreshadowing with her and Jon. Even Edric Dayne and Jaqen ( book only)! This is because Arya thought them attractive and got along great with them. 

If she doesn't have a romantic partner, I wouldn't mind. As long as her story continues being awesome I'm good. 

You have to understand that at least half the world (women) are mainly interested in the romance, pairing, love stories. Thats why in every mainstream sequel to a movie has the obligatory romantic interest and why the show milks the love/romance scenes.

Tip: If you want to make a thread with 30+ pages start a thread about pairings.

4 hours ago, Ssangkall said:

Really?  No idea why it is even so popular in these threads.  What if she has none?  What if it is a woman?  I really don't get the interest in love interests and couplings between characters.  

It's same reason that a lot of people were into Twilight and are also into soap operas. People care more about romances.

I'll never understand it myself but it seems like those kinds of threads make up half of what is posted here

Thank you for all the replies.  I now have a larger understanding of what the readerbase really looks forward to in the story.  I kinda got into it for the lack of predictability, but can see now how others can expect and look forward to relationships between characters.  I still don't, though.  More into betrayal and food descriptions

10 hours ago, Neolaina said:

It's what some people are interested in. You don't need to understand it.

I, for one, am in the same boat you are with regards to, frankly, not caring. But, it's something that'll come to people's minds. Again, you don't need to understand it.

Edit: I would liken those threads to a different set of threads where people speculate that if x or y didn't occur, or occurred differently, what might happen. An equal waste of time in my eyes, but if that's what floats people's boats, let'em have at it.

Completely agree. Hypothetical romances and "what ifs" are things I really don't get why people bother discussing. I am here to understand motivations of the characters, and to discover those hidden jewels that GRRM hints and I completely miss because I'm freakin' blind. I am not here to create fanfic or to read about it. And, as far as I know, fanfic is forbidden in this forums...

14 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

Because we want Arya to experience love with someone, so that she may recede from the darkness that is consuming her. Familial love, romantic love, any love will do. :)

Definitively, we are not reading the same books.

11 hours ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

Because apparently female characters cant function without a man. 

Its so dumb. Arya doesnt need a love interest.

I agree with this 100%. There is no reason for Arya to have a love interest and honestly, it wouldn't really match her character that much. If GRRM did it in the right way, perhaps, but...honestly, it just doesn't make sense...

12 hours ago, Ssangkall said:

Really?  No idea why it is even so popular in these threads.  What if she has none?  What if it is a woman?  I really don't get the interest in love interests and couplings between characters.  

Because GRRM's original intention was for her and Jon to fall in love.  That's planted the seed in a lot of readers minds.

6 hours ago, Ssangkall said:

Thank you for all the replies.  I now have a larger understanding of what the readerbase really looks forward to in the story.  I kinda got into it for the lack of predictability, but can see now how others can expect and look forward to relationships between characters.  I still don't, though.  More into betrayal and food descriptions

I don't know how far you are into the series but I fear you are going to end up somewhat disappointed :D

Archived