Is Daenerys the main antagonist of the saga?

At the beginning, she looked like one of the protagonists. I think that most of the people thought that the Fire in Ice and Fire is her, with the Ice being Jon. While I always thought that she will make war in Westeros, in the end she will turn nice, join forces with the other leaders (Jon & Aegon) to fight the last battle.

But recent events, make me think that she might actually be the main antagonist of the saga. She burns people and now she asked the Dothraki to make war in Westeros, kill the people in armor and burn their houses. This isn't something a liberator says (and Danny always claimed to be that). I think that very likely she might be the main villain of the saga and she will clash with Jon somehow. Maybe Jon and Bran will join the Others to fight Danny and the R'hllor propaganda, maybe after the war with Others, they will fight Danny, but surely, it won't be a happy ending for both Jon and Daenerys. I think that they will be in opposite sides.

I think the Iron Throne is the main antagonist of the saga and I think there will be a 3 way conflict for it at the end, which will destroy it - thus removing the antagonist and conflict from the story.

I do think team firey girl power of R'hllor will be one side, under Dany, though. Then the Stark boys will likely form team Ice boy band of the Old Gods (kind of a metal band) with the Others. And team incest will represent humanity and the faith of the 7.

Well if Westeros embraces her it would have been terrible. I have a feeling that DD like her and will make her saviour.

Someone who is backed by Red priests, Doktrakhi savages rapists slavers, army of emotionless eunuchs, dragons who she cant control and Ironborn (most hated Realm in Westeros) and people see her as hero? This Faith thing will be important especially after new alliance.

She broke guest right at Astapor and stole Unsullied, then she killed master, then she crucified 160 masters from Meereen, then she fed probably innocent man to dragon and burned khals. I just dont get how Dotrakhi never tried to kill her that night, they hate magic and maegis...

Not to mention she wasnt feeling bad about lose of her son and brother.

1 minute ago, Drz said:

Feudalism is the enemy, Daenerys is just another victim of the circumstances that allow her to pursue this.

And what is more symbolic of that feudalism than the IT? Human desire is the enemy (the heart in conflict with itself, as GRRM calls it) - but the IT is the object in this story that brings out everyone's worst. It's like the One Ring - it will melt in dragon fire at the end,

36 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

At the beginning, she looked like one of the protagonists. I think that most of the people thought that the Fire in Ice and Fire is her, with the Ice being Jon. While I always thought that she will make war in Westeros, in the end she will turn nice, join forces with the other leaders (Jon & Aegon) to fight the last battle.

But recent events, make me think that she might actually be the main antagonist of the saga. She burns people and now she asked the Dothraki to make war in Westeros, kill the people in armor and burn their houses. This isn't something a liberator says (and Danny always claimed to be that). I think that very likely she might be the main villain of the saga and she will clash with Jon somehow. Maybe Jon and Bran will join the Others to fight Danny and the R'hllor propaganda, maybe after the war with Others, they will fight Danny, but surely, it won't be a happy ending for both Jon and Daenerys. I think that they will be in opposite sides.

Er isnt that what other Lords in Westeros have done including Robb? And she didn't say burn down their houses, but tear down their stone houses (castles) the structure of a Lord's power in feudal society.  Isn't that war Westorosi style?

Nah I think the war with the others will be the definitive end fight.

So... Hanging a 12 year old boy, or whatever age Olly was, is called justice... Whipping out an entire specie and pretty much taking away Hodor`s entire life, just because you are impatient is also cool , because, you know, it`s Bran and he has to show us the ToJ scene, Tyrion being responsible for the death of thousands to make sure that his family remains in power is also cool, because, you know, he`s Tyrion, he drinks and he knows stuff. But Dany burning the men who threatened to rape and kill her... how dare she? 

7 minutes ago, ummester said:

And what is more symbolic of that feudalism than the IT? Human desire is the enemy (the heart in conflict with itself, as GRRM calls it) - but the IT is the object in this story that brings out everyone's worst. It's like the One Ring - it will melt in dragon fire at the end,

Yeah, but you can't destroy an object and just call it a day.

Unless its a cliffhanger ending or something, I think the show should atleast try and give us some alternatives.

39 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

Dany is a line of sight liberator.  Ever since she got with the Dothraki in AGOT she's developed cruel streaks when it comes to punishment, especially when she is emotional.  In ADWD she gives the Shavepate leave to sharply question a potential Harpy sympathiser by basically torturing the guys daughters in front of the guy to ensure he is innocent.

And she's the same in the show.  She's become wiser.  Either way her arrival in Westeros isn't liberation.  It was always going to be conquest.

2 minutes ago, therealbando said:

So... Hanging a 12 year old boy, or whatever age Olly had, is called justice... Whipping out an entire specie and pretty much taking away Hodor`s entire life, just because you are impatient is also cool , because, you know, it`s Bran and he has to show us the ToJ scene, Tyrion being responsible for the death of thousands to make sure that his family remains in power is also cool, because, you know, he`s Tyrion, he drinks and he knows stuff. But Dany burning the men who threatened to rape and kill her... how dare she? 

Jon feels guilty about it and as far as we know he might have forgiven him if he begged.

Bran had no idea what he is doing.

Tyrion was fighting for his life among those things (however he is a spiteful little creature and far from saint).

They threatened to rape and kill her only after she insulted them, she obviously had an ally there and she managed to piss him off.

I think GRR's point is that nobody is all good or all bad. I think it's fairly certain that Dany and Jon will end up clashing, rather than the kissy kissy many of us had originally hoped for.  The book (and by association, the show) is doing a sterling job of making sure that one side isn't seen as good and the other as evil. 

7 minutes ago, Drz said:

Yeah, but you can't destroy an object and just call it a day.

Unless its a cliffhanger ending or something, I think the show should atleast try and give us some alternatives.

Oh no, of course there will be a Dream of Spring after it's destruction. I don't know who will survive but, whoever does, will muse over creating a better new world from the ashes of the old or something similar. I don't think we will see the alternative but we will be presented that hope can lead to a better one, if that makes sense?

entitled? why she wants to take westeros ? because her father was king of westeros and her family was all killed?

then Sansa and Jon entitled ? because her/his father was lord of north and their family was killed?,

is jon snow going mad?

5 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

Jon feels guilty about it and as far as we know he might have forgiven him if he begged.

Bran had no idea what he is doing.

Tyrion was fighting for his life among those things (however he is a spiteful little creature and far from saint).

They threatened to rape and kill her only after she insulted them, she obviously had an ally there and she managed to piss him off.

We aren`t given a single sign that Jon feels guilty about doing it. Truth be told it may be because the show is so poorly written and the creators don`t really care about this stuff.

Bran had no idea what he was doing? It`s okay then. Because usually in life you  can get away with being impatient and doing something that you have no idea about. It would be like if I went into the Oval Office, pressed the Red Button starting a nuclear war and then saying that I had no idea what the Red Button does. Bran should have figured in all his wisdom that there`s a good reason why the 3ER only let`s him see visions when he`s there to assist him.

Just now, therealbando said:

We aren`t given a single sign that Jon feels guilty about doing it. Truth be told it may be because the show is so poorly written and the creators don`t really care about this stuff.

I thought Jon looked kinda bummed out when he was doing it; but then I realised it was just his usual expression. 

Just now, therealbando said:

Bran had no idea what he was doing? It`s okay then. Because usually in life you  can get away with being impatient and doing something that you have no idea about. It would be like if I went into the Oval Office, pressed the Red Button starting a nuclear war and then saying that I had no idea what the Red Button does. Bran should have figured in all his wisdom that there`s a good reason why the 3ER only let`s him see visions when he`s there to assist him.

We are, he told it to Sansa I think. But you are right that creators dont care much about it.

Bran is a boy, curious boy, he has always been that. Also, we are debating here about antagonists and he is not one, yet. If you hit red button not knowing what you are doing I wont call you evil.

Dany is not the first and not the last one to get excited about war. I don't think it makes her an antagonist, at least not intentionally. Her deeds look like they are supposed to be 'empowering'. (and I'm not going to cry over the burned Dothraki rapists wannabe)

Archived