Why do they keep referring to Ser Robert Strong as the Mountain?

DireDawg

Apologies if this has been brought up before.  I did peruse the other threads and haven't seen it yet.

I think it was in Ep 3 and again last night, but Cersei et al refer to Robert Strong as the Mountain.  We all know it's him but they ought to commit to their lie.  You'd think with as cunning as they are, they'd want to keep their story consistent.  If they sent his head to Dorne to appease Doran and the Sand Snakes, shouldn't they be a little more conspicuous about his true identity?  Or is it just an error/ignorance in the writing?  

Don't remember them sending the head to Dorne. The show hasn't mentioned Robert Strong at all, so they are being consistent within the show.

I think in the show Qyburn "healed" the Mountain from his injuries in the fight with The Viper.

He did introduce him as Ser Robert Strong when Cersei got back, IIRC. I think in the show they are just making it an open secret that it's Clegane because the show watchers might not get it. 

In the end, I am not sure it's all that important, since Dorne is basically out of the storyline now. 

Simple - for the viewers. 

We already know it's The Mountain. The show watchers know who The Mountain is. 

Why introduce yet another name to remember on a show where the casual viewer already is having a ridiculous time keeping up?

7 hours ago, ErasmusF said:

He did introduce him as Ser Robert Strong when Cersei got back, IIRC. I think in the show they are just making it an open secret that it's Clegane because the show watchers might not get it. 

In the end, I am not sure it's all that important, since Dorne is basically out of the storyline now. 

They didn't in the show, I thought so as well until someone showed me the clip.  He's merely introduced as "the newest member of the kingsguard"

As has already been pointed out. From a storyline point of view, the Dornish alliance means nothing and hopefully we never see Dorne again, so there is no need to keep up the lie that the Mountain is dead. They never sent his head and the Sand Snakes only commented that if Oberyn even scratched him, he would be dying. So there is only an assumption on their behalf.

From a logical point of view, it was simply to keep it simple for the show watchers. We all knew it was Gregor and his sheer size alone would have given it away. So, instead of another name, just keep the status quo. They never actually said Ser Robert Strong, so, the Mountain is just easier.

38 minutes ago, The Killer Snark said:

He really shouldn't be. The advanced necrosis (going by the books also) make it highly dubious that he even has a dick.

The lack of dick is probably the selling point.

With Varys playing with Tyrion, they need some dick jokes for KL.

2 hours ago, dannyk65 said:

Maybe shownly viewers would be less confused if there were less than 3 actors who have played the Mountain....

I doubt that. 

My guess is you could ask many show-only people how many actors have played The Mountain,and they would all guess - one. 

While we know there's been different ones, they've all been very big, bulky, built, tall, and regularly seen in armor. 

Not that difficult to conclude that it's one and the same character. 

Archived