DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

So, continuing the former thread that went out with a whimper:

As predicted, WB et DC have made some moves toward correction. Geoff Johns and Jon Berg have been promoted, and Charles Roven's involvement, as WBs main [super hero] movie producer since Nolan's Batman, has been reduced. I expect more to come. edit: Snyder's involvement hasn't been reduced, per se, but his relative autonomy has definitely been curtailed by these appointments. I guess he should be thankful he and Affleck are friends else there could be some Producer/Director issues on Justice League, although, maybe Affleck's promotion to that role has more to do with continuity between JL and the Batman film he's writing with Johns. Iono. 

While I admired Johns' attempt at using publicity appearances for Rebirth to try to rebrand the movie line, even if it's genuinely true it still has the whiff of damage and PR control, yet I haven't seen him comment on the big sexism blow up re: DC Comics proper at all. Not that the later really has much to do with the former, but you'd think DCs' faceman might want to get on top of that a bit.

Margo Robbie apparently pitched an all girls/ladies movie [like, Harley and the Birds of Prey or something] so successfully she's also allegedly managed to nab a producer spot on the project as well. 

Last, am I the only person who has absolutely zero interest in a Cyborg movie?

Great to see Geoff Johns get a bigger role, I've thought he should for a while. It's a bit late- he'll have some work to do to pull the universe to his usual tonal register, he won't be allowed to just reboot it after all, or even use less extreme timeline shenanigans, the concept's just not established enough in the 'verse - but he's shown the chops in comics to control something like this, so he might have a few ideas for the movies too.

I'm not quite sure a Birds of Prey needs Harley Quinn, but eh. A Birds of Prey movie in any form is nice really. The ideal for me would be getting Gail Simone, if she wants it, on board to script or at least co-write, but that seems a slim chance, there's a risk with letting purely comic-book writers getting too involved in the movie side.

I hadn't heard about the DC sexism row before this, but I don't think it's Johns' place to comment. He's creative officer, behind the scenes/employment stuff isn't his responsibility. I mean, you'd hope DC will eventually get round to condemning it in the strongest possible terms and vowing to get to the root of what happened and stamping it out, but that should be DC The Company, not Geoff Johns the informal spokesman.

Take the Bird of Prey stuff with a grain of salt, I'm not sure how many actual details are out there, even though the Robbie pitch and producer slot are apparently true.

I'd agree with you for the most part on the sexism stuff, but with DC not really having much of a public frontman beside Johns, I'd think it would've been mandated to him to control the public narrative-- but maybe only if it came up? Not sure. DC did issue a public statement about it, but it really only managed to inflame the bittersphere, er, twittersphere instead of pacify.

It's pretty damning shit even if only a small part of it is true. I'm surprised it hasn't made more of a mainstream splash.  

I'm curious about a Cyborg movie mainly because it's a bit of a blank slate and could work as DC's version of iron man but with the angst that comes with not being able to step outside the suit. Not that I'd want a whiny Cyborg and the comic character has never really been like that but given our current interaction with technology I think he's a character that could capture and address the current Zeitgesit. Have him questioning where the line between himself and the robotics are etc.

DC sexism? Is this the Eddie Berganza thing? Or something happening in the film division? I don't really think the films should be judged too harshly on the behaviour of what the comics division does - otherwise I'm sure Marvel has as many cases.

I'll wait and see how Harley works out in Suicide squad before getting too interested in a film with her as the lead. I don't think Harley needs a bunch of female co-stars to work unless the aim is to give the birds of prey cast a leg up?

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm curious about a Cyborg movie mainly because it's a bit of a blank slate and could work as DC's version of iron man but with the angst that comes with not being able to step outside the suit. Not that I'd want a whiny Cyborg and the comic character has never really been like that but given our current interaction with technology I think he's a character that could capture and address the current Zeitgesit. Have him questioning where the line between himself and the robotics are etc.

DC sexism? Is this the Eddie Berganza thing? Or something happening in the film division? I don't really think the films should be judged too harshly on the behaviour of what the comics division does - otherwise I'm sure Marvel has as many cases.

Yeah, the Berganza thing, and others allegedly. I suppose I should've labeled it as ongoing and purposefully overlooked behaviors of sexual harassment. 

When you put the Cyborg thing like that, maybe there's some mileage in it. Add some pent up sexual frustration and an underlying, persecuted sense of loneliness... maybe there could be something there. Although, I'd rather see Cyborg's origin tied into a Titan offshoot than directly into Justice League but maybe that's nostalgic thinking. 

How old was Victor when the transformation happened anyway? I mean, I get that he's tied to the Justice League now due to reboot, but he was still a teenager when he was injured, right? I'm running with this, of course, but they could probably play into the hormonal imbalance and subsequent effects, right, Like... I sincerely doubt ol' Motherbox was so matronly as to also gift Vic some cybernetic nuts and synthetic hormone therapy etc.

On a completely unrelated note, I always wanted to take a stab at reviving Peacemaker. Here's a rich Bruce Wayne type dude, who's so extremely pacifist that he'll kill to make peace and is haunted by the spirit of his Nazi father [or ancestor, can't recall] that inhabits his helmet. That right there is just full of character pathos and story opportunities. 

• 3 weeks later...

Details on Justice League plot and a picture of the Batmobile.

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy.  Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat.  But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

This thing is slated to come out in just slightly over a year...  :stunned: 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Details on Justice League plot and a picture of the Batmobile.

This thing is slated to come out in just slightly over a year...  :stunned: 

despite them claiming it's now a stand-alone film that sounds like a synopsis that clearly has a part 2 involved. It's course correction in response to people having a low opinion of films turned into two. Even the MCU have backtracked on Avengers Infinity being a two-parter. Which is a good thing as long as they actually make films with 3 acts that make sense. You can have a trilogy but you should still be able to pay for a film and see a film in one sitting without having to shell out more money to get the pay-off.

I like that Affleck says the next batman film will have an emphasis on "world's greatest detective" as I don't think they've ever tried that in a live-action batfilm. It sounds promising.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:30 PM, red snow said:

despite them claiming it's now a stand-alone film that sounds like a synopsis that clearly has a part 2 involved. It's course correction in response to people having a low opinion of films turned into two. Even the MCU have backtracked on Avengers Infinity being a two-parter. Which is a good thing as long as they actually make films with 3 acts that make sense. You can have a trilogy but you should still be able to pay for a film and see a film in one sitting without having to shell out more money to get the pay-off.

I like that Affleck says the next batman film will have an emphasis on "world's greatest detective" as I don't think they've ever tried that in a live-action batfilm. It sounds promising.

Thank, god. One of my favorite parts of batman, is his detective skills. You can do an amazing murder mystery with some big villains in there thrown in, i think the rumor was, he would be going around to each villain to get information or something like that. If well done, it could be amazing. 

On 5/30/2016 at 4:39 PM, JEORDHl said:

How old was Victor when the transformation happened anyway? I mean, I get that he's tied to the Justice League now due to reboot, but he was still a teenager when he was injured, right? I'm running with this, of course, but they could probably play into the hormonal imbalance and subsequent effects, right, Like... I sincerely doubt ol' Motherbox was so matronly as to also gift Vic some cybernetic nuts and synthetic hormone therapy etc.

On a completely unrelated note, I always wanted to take a stab at reviving Peacemaker. Here's a rich Bruce Wayne type dude, who's so extremely pacifist that he'll kill to make peace and is haunted by the spirit of his Nazi father [or ancestor, can't recall] that inhabits his helmet. That right there is just full of character pathos and story opportunities. 

I think he was in college (depends what version/continuity we are talking about comic wise), but in the 52, IIRC, he was playing college football, got into a fight with his dad and all then, then it happened.

1 hour ago, Lord Hanna said:

Thank, god. One of my favorite parts of batman, is his detective skills. You can do an amazing murder mystery with some big villains in there thrown in, i think the rumor was, he would be going around to each villain to get information or something like that. If well done, it could be amazing. 

As long as it doesn't just turn out to be the Joker! Mask of the Phantasm was a pretty good version of Batman solving a mystery. The comics should do it more often too - although modern comics can't bear leaking the info before the comic comes out. There could be a 6 month long mystery and then they'd show you the final cover with the villain and the heading "Batman's mystery villain revealed".

1 hour ago, red snow said:

As long as it doesn't just turn out to be the Joker! Mask of the Phantasm was a pretty good version of Batman solving a mystery. The comics should do it more often too - although modern comics can't bear leaking the info before the comic comes out. There could be a 6 month long mystery and then they'd show you the final cover with the villain and the heading "Batman's mystery villain revealed".

Agreed, one of my favorite storylines is The Long Halloween, which is what you are kind of talking about, with a 13 issue "who did it?" storyline, and a bit of what i was saying, where we got to see lots of his villains when he interrogates them or investigates them. 

Perfect way to do it. 

• 5 weeks later...

Someone should put the Wonder Woman trailer up(I really have to learn how to do that) I'm actually looking forward to this movie. I love the Amazons and Wonder Woman being one makes her my fav. 

The fighting looks sick and her costume is AWESOME!!!!! 

Archived