DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, The BlackBear said:

Holy shit that was funny.... As bad as that movie was... I would have liked to see Clooney as Batman with a decent script and director... he was kind of perfect for the role.... well, at least the Bruce Wayne part of the role, anyway...  Kind of like Eric Bana as Bruce Banner.... I thought he was perfect for the role.... it was just a bad movie...

There will reportedly be a Harley Quinn solo film (as if there was any doubt) with Robbie attached as Executive Producer as well. Does she have any production experience?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/harley-quinn-margot-robbie-to-co-produce-suicide-squad-spin-off-film-a7308661.html

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

There will reportedly be a Harley Quinn solo film (as if there was any doubt) with Robbie attached as Executive Producer as well. Does she have any production experience?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/harley-quinn-margot-robbie-to-co-produce-suicide-squad-spin-off-film-a7308661.html

I don't get the hype for this character at all. 

Someone help me out here but is Quinn a legit villian like she murders people and doesn't care or like everything else nowadays she's been given a sympathetic backstory and redemption arc in the comics? 

I don't get it either. I just found her annoying in the film. But she seems popular with most audiences. And I'm not familiar with her in comics games or tv, so can't help you out there. But they filmed a lot of abusive stuff with the Joker that wasn't in the film, so she's meant to be somewhat sympathetic there.

5 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I don't get the hype for this character at all. 

Someone help me out here but is Quinn a legit villian like she murders people and doesn't care or like everything else nowadays she's been given a sympathetic backstory and redemption arc in the comics? 

She always had a sympathetic kinda backstory - she was always a victim of the Joker, although afaik there wasn't the implied violence in the original versions, just being the Joker's therapist drove her mad.
So while she has had a bit of a redemption arc in the comics, it's a fairly natural one- she was never as evil as him in the first place I don't think so when she's cut free of him and is more of a rogue than a proper villain, it's not completely out of nowhere.

She's basically DC's Deadpool.

Here's the thing: all you guys saying 'I don't get it' are, well, guys.

For a lot of female fans, younger ones in particular, Harley is their version of Deadpool or, if you're a bit older, Lobo, or something like that. An anti-hero, a transgressive character who's a little bit damaged and morally questionable but also kicks ass and cracks wise. And for female readers, they haven't really seen that kind of character in comics very often - at least, not a female one. So they're willing to forgive (but they do notice) the male-gaze depictions, the occasionally thin writing and the problems with her origin and relationship to the Joker.

That market is, not coincidentally, currently poorly served by superhero films - in fact it's Marvel's main weak spot. So a Harley Quinn film is the number one thing I'd be doing if I were making a DC film, at least after Wonder Woman.

She's one of the most popular characters in comics at the moment as well so I can see why they'd want to make a film about her. Not just that but she's one of the few original characters of the last 20 years to catch on (weirdly she was created in the animated series prior to her comics debut). She isn't a hero-woman/girl of an existing male hero/villain which is nice change too in terms of launching a successful new character.

I'm not too worried about her anti-hero/villain status either. Works fine for Wolverine and Deadpool.

Having not seen Suicide Squad - I'd be interested in how they'd approach a solo film. Would they go fourth wall breaking Deadpool style or was the interpretation of the character in SS such that wouldn't work?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

She's one of the most popular characters in comics at the moment as well so I can see why they'd want to make a film about her. Not just that but she's one of the few original characters of the last 20 years to catch on (weirdly she was created in the animated series prior to her comics debut). She isn't a hero-woman/girl of an existing male hero/villain which is nice change too in terms of launching a successful new character.

I'm not too worried about her anti-hero/villain status either. Works fine for Wolverine and Deadpool.

Having not seen Suicide Squad - I'd be interested in how they'd approach a solo film. Would they go fourth wall breaking Deadpool style or was the interpretation of the character in SS such that wouldn't work?

I've always been more of a Marvel guy so my knowledge of her is limited, but I've always just assumed she was a female version of the Joker. Or, at best, a Joker sidekick not unlike Robin to Batman. 

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

I've always been more of a Marvel guy so my knowledge of her is limited, but I've always just assumed she was a female version of the Joker. Or, at best, a Joker sidekick not unlike Robin to Batman. 

Yeah. She has split off now but she definitely is a Joker-family character. Which makes her a Bat-family cousin too. She's not a legacy character (as in, taking up the mantle in honour of/in succession to...) which may be what red snow was talking about but she's definitely from the clan.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

She's one of the most popular characters in comics at the moment as well so I can see why they'd want to make a film about her.

I was very surprised to find out last year that her comics regularly outsell Superman's- the only DC hero who beats her is Bats himself.

2 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I agree with the Robin to Batman comparison - although she's more like Nightwing now in the sense she's no longer a side-kick character. Harley Quinn is also far more successful than Nightwing or Robin has ever been in terms of sales (if not yet longevity).

At least she was never called Joker-girl of she-Joker though which is how most attempts at creating female characters go (for Marvel and DC). They also never replaced Joker with her and said "she is now the Joker".

41 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah. She has split off now but she definitely is a Joker-family character. Which makes her a Bat-family cousin too. She's not a legacy character (as in, taking up the mantle in honour of/in succession to...) which may be what red snow was talking about but she's definitely from the clan.

I was very surprised to find out last year that her comics regularly outsell Superman's- the only DC hero who beats her is Bats himself.

Yeah - that's what I meant.

It's surprising how many comics outsell Superman and that's been the case for quite a while now. I think "All Star Superman" was probably the last time Superman was beating the competition. Even with top tier creative talent his titles struggle and it's hard to not blame the character when the writer's have so much success with Batman eg Grant Morrison (new52 run not all-star) and Scott Snyder. Geoff Johns made Green Lantern DCs best selling book but still didn't replicate the same level of success. It's probably one of the reasons WB has been shy around Superman and seem more willing to have him share the screen with other heroes

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

I agree with the Robin to Batman comparison - although she's more like Nightwing now in the sense she's no longer a side-kick character. Harley Quinn is also far more successful than Nightwing or Robin has ever been in terms of sales (if not yet longevity).

I just wish the Midnighter had been a proper success, if we're talking launching new characters- his latest solo series was fucking great, but apparently just didn't sell at all and was cancelled. He'll still make guest appearances in the Grayson solo comic, I assume (something I've only read bits of but would like to read more), but it's just not the same. :(

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I just wish the Midnighter had been a proper success, if we're talking launching new characters- his latest solo series was fucking great, but apparently just didn't sell at all and was cancelled. He'll still make guest appearances in the Grayson solo comic, I assume (something I've only read bits of but would like to read more), but it's just not the same. :(

I'm guilty of not reading that title. Probably due to the harsh treatment Wildstorm characters have received since DC bought them. It's a real shame as Midnighter was a break-out character. Shame Ennis killed off Jenny Sparks too as she had staying power as well - hell, most of the stormwatch/authority characters were great under Ennis's watch. I often thought the Wildstorm books would be an easier film universe to play with as well given there's less restrictions in terms of them not being as iconic.

I thought there was an Apollo/Midnighter world's greatest title coming up? There you go - same creative team too or at least the same writer.

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

I thought there was an Apollo/Midnighter world's greatest title coming up? There you go - same creative team too or at least the same writer.

Oh, awesome.

I too hadn't been that impressed with what I saw of the New 52 Wildstorm treatment, but Midnighter was brilliant (I admit I didn't contribute to trying to keep it alive since I only buy trades so only got the first volume after the series was cancelled, I think, or just before. It makes me wonder if trade sales and word-of-mouth were strong, if they're commissioning this). Nailed the character and built on the work before, fit him into DC mythology really sensibly, just properly great stuff. Really fun too. I recommend it.

ps: It was Warren Ellis, not Garth Ennis. :P  Altohugh Ennis' run on Authority: Kev is pretty good.

And yeah, there's probably more playroom there. Even in the comics you saw it, they could mess with the status quo. It wasn't enough to save the universe, but the apocalyptic event resulted in some good storylines, especially Abnett and Lanning's Authority run, which made top use of the team in both personalities and powers in the freaky post-apocalyptic setting.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

ps: It was Warren Ellis, not Garth Ennis. :P  Altohugh Ennis' run on Authority: Kev is pretty good.

Ha - I've clearly got Ennis on my mind with my Preacher re-read. I meant Ellis :)

Hopefully they'll do a trade of the remainder of the Midnighter series and then I can check it out. I guess the new series is out because the trade maybe did well? I think most reviewers were positive of the series as well.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Hopefully they'll do a trade of the remainder of the Midnighter series

I believe volume 2 is out next month. I assume that'll cover everything. 

Reading the article, the new series is a one-off six-issue mini, which is kinda disappointing but really makes sense. Hopefully, they (1) give it a decent push and (2) use it as a tester and if it does well, commission a full run.

Archived