DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

On 23/09/2016 at 10:47 AM, mormont said:

So they're willing to forgive (but they do notice) the male-gaze depictions,

That's definitely one of my main problems with the film version.

On 23/09/2016 at 11:59 AM, red snow said:

Having not seen Suicide Squad - I'd be interested in how they'd approach a solo film. Would they go fourth wall breaking Deadpool style or was the interpretation of the character in SS such that wouldn't work?

She doesn't break the fourth wall at all. But then Deadpool usually doesn't when he's in other people's books. They could just play it as SS was an impartial viewer, HQ is seeing the world through a prism of her mind. She actually didn't seem that crazy in the film, just odd and violent.

20 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

That's definitely one of my main problems with the film version.

She doesn't break the fourth wall at all. But then Deadpool usually doesn't when he's in other people's books. They could just play it as SS was an impartial viewer, HQ is seeing the world through a prism of her mind. She actually didn't seem that crazy in the film, just odd and violent.

Curious, from what i can gather it's the Deadpool fourth wall breaking approach that's a big part of her current success. Although I guess I'm being naive if her Arkham game depiction isn't possibly a bigger factor in defining her current success.

I'd be interested to see if there's much potential for making an interesting film with her solo without the zaniness.

10 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Does anyone know the rationale behind excluding Green Lantern from the Justice League flick? I get introducing Martian Manhunter later... but GL was an original

Probably still distancing themselves from Ryan Reynolds.

(Admission... I kinda liked GL...)

:leaving: 

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Green Lantern brings with it the baggage of the film and is probably one of the weirder powers to get across. They really need to get Justice League off the ground clean, so why saddle it with difficult characters?

Pretty much. I think GL is something they'd be better setting up as a space-cop franchise first - let people get used to the powerset (which isn't as giant boxing glove in the space setting) before joining him(or her) to the justice league. Sort of how GOTG is its own thing.

Weirdly, I think an alien buddy cop film would work for GL. Sinestro seems like the obvious partner but I think I'd go for someone who's more of a contrast to the human character. Not sure which one fits the bill from the comics. Weirdly it'd be easier to have Guy Gardner as the GL (quipping hard head) teamed with Sinestro (straight cop) but as much as I like Guy he's probably not the franchise GL to go for.

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Nah, there's good stuff in BvS, bad shit too, but stuff you can work with.

Besides Justice League can exist without GL, not so much without the big three.

Like you say there's nothing wrong with Batman and Wonder Woman to place in a film with a different story and hopefully a lot more interaction. Superman is a little trickier but maybe not so much of an issue for those who've seen the film.

On 9/27/2016 at 10:39 PM, red snow said:

This practice of accelerating movies is really damaging. I was reading an article on Den of Geek about Spectre and about how they rushed almost all of the editing just to get the movie out. Boy does it show because that movie feels a first draft at times. I'm starting to think this practice is happening far too often with movies these days, hence so many messy, overly long movies.

5 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

This practice of accelerating movies is really damaging. I was reading an article on Den of Geek about Spectre and about how they rushed almost all of the editing just to get the movie out. Boy does it show because that movie feels a first draft at times. I'm starting to think this practice is happening far too often with movies these days, hence so many messy, overly long movies.

It could well be. I'm hoping Affleck is a bit more careful with his films. Although I'm still not ruling out a last minute "affleck drops out as director" if he feels uncomfortably rushed. I'd hope WB would have the sense to wait for an Affleck directed BAtman though.

That said - they have almost 2 years so I don't think it would be that rushed if it landed towards the end of 2018.

Yeah. When Matthew Vaughn scrapped the existing script for X-Men First Class to start from scratch and released a finished film 13 months later, that was accelerated production. 18 months for a film that's already been in the work for some time doesn't seem especially rapid by those standards, although they'd want to start casting and filming quite soon.

Mind you, the linked article doesn't say anything about acceleration and even seems unsure whether they mean 'that's when it's out' or 'that's when production will begin'. The latter seems unlikely.

So I just watched the Batman v. Superman ultimate edition-

I honestly really enjoyed the ultimate cut, and this is coming from someone who thought the theatrical cut was trash- as in i would give the TC a 4/10 and the UC a 7/10. I really appreciated the dark deconstruction of my childhood heroes, and I think that's the main thing people disliked- that Superman was an alien viewed with fear whereas Batman was darker and more punishing. But really, I think its a fresh way to represent the characters. A real life Superman would be seen with suspicion and in this universe awe are introduced not to A superman who has already attained that "paragon of good" moniker but someone who has to earn it. With batman, we see someone who has been fighting crime so long that they have let their primal humanity overcome idealized principles. 

Yes, some stuff is still bad- the entire third act for example, but other elements I felt were judged too harshly. 

Luthor for example- I though Eisenberg was a bit over the top, but overall this is the best Luthor we have seen in a live action movie. This is the guy that has the existential crisis resulting from Superman's existence and is threatened by eh idea of a perceived deity, whereas the other Luthor's have pretty much been crooked real estate brokers. This is the mad genius/evil sociopath we have wanted, and while it was not perfect, I am looking forward to more on this take of the character.

It is, I think, while still a flawed movie, one that tries something new and takes superheroes more seriously and portrays them in a more mature manner than the quip-obsessed Marvel movies. 

1 hour ago, Azzanadra said:

Luthor for example- I though Eisenberg was a bit over the top, but overall this is the best Luthor we have seen in a live action movie. This is the guy that has the existential crisis resulting from Superman's existence and is threatened by eh idea of a perceived deity, whereas the other Luthor's have pretty much been crooked real estate brokers. This is the mad genius/evil sociopath we have wanted, and while it was not perfect, I am looking forward to more on this take of the character.

Is his motivation actually apparent in the Ultimate cut?

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Is his motivation actually apparent in the Ultimate cut?

I thought it was just as apparent in the normal cut to be honest when he says that speech with "you on top of everybody else". But the whole Africa scene is fleshed out more and becomes its own sub-plot. Makes his plan seem more coherent. 

Archived