DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are people really criticizing Gal Gadot because she is from Israel?  What the hell?  You hold someone personally responsible for being from a particular nation of origin as though that individual can do anything, by themselves, to change that nations' policies?  What a load of crap.

I tend to agree. If she was British, German or had grown up anywhere outside of Israel I think there'd be more of an issue. Most of us are fortunate enough to have absolutely no idea what growing up and living in that environment is like. So while I don't agree with her I don't feel like I can judge her.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

'It is really shoddy, and really ill-conceived, spectacularly messy, thunderously boring, and an absolute demonstration that more is less.'

I tend to trust his reviews - he's not the kind of reviewer to dismiss a film just because it's a superhero. He was quite positive about "Logan" and "wonder woman".

Love his "threatyedest threat in the history of threat" rant

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I tend to agree. If she was British, German or had grown up anywhere outside of Israel I think there'd be more of an issue. Most of us are fortunate enough to have absolutely no idea what growing up and living in that environment is like. So while I don't agree with her I don't feel like I can judge her.

Yeah you'd struggle to find an Israeli who disgreed with her on that subject. Seems very silly to criticise her or even judge her on that.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I tend to trust his reviews - he's not the kind of reviewer to dismiss a film just because it's a superhero. He was quite positive about "Logan" and "wonder woman".

Love his "threatyedest threat in the history of threat" rant

Yeah I very rarely disagree with him, well except on Baby Driver which he loved, but I can usually tell if a movie is awful if he hates it.

9 minutes ago, Eggegg said:

Yeah I very rarely disagree with him, well except on Baby Driver which he loved, but I can usually tell if a movie is awful if he hates it.

I think he sometimes gets caught up in the inventiveness/artistry of a film. I watched his film review which covered similar stuff to the youtube link. I think he's frustrated at how bad these films are - probably because he knows they are a staple of hollywood. Must make him fearful of the future when Blade runner 2049 (which he loved) is going to be less successful than Justice League which sounds a mess.

I'm guessing the character he wondered whether it was a CGI character with no human playing the part was cyborg?

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think he sometimes gets caught up in the inventiveness/artistry of a film. I watched his film review which covered similar stuff to the youtube link. I think he's frustrated at how bad these films are - probably because he knows they are a staple of hollywood. Must make him fearful of the future when Blade runner 2049 (which he loved) is going to be less successful than Justice League which sounds a mess.

I'm guessing the character he wondered whether it was a CGI character with no human playing the part was cyborg?

Yeah he doesn't always tune into what a more mainstream audience will enjoy and so likes 'movies about movies' quite a lot more than other people.

I suspected it was Cyborg, having seen him in the trailer he looks like a walking cartoon anyway. 

I'm guessing the end of credit sequence involves:

Spoiler

Lex Luthor , seeing as he is the most unwelcome addition to the DCEU so far.

48 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I think what thw DCEU would consider as the ultimate complement nowadays would be "It's just like a Marvel movie!"

That's what they did with captain america Wonder Woman. Fox seems to be the best bet for decent superhero films that don't follow the Marvel formula. That's only for 2 of their last 3 efforts because Apocalypse snuck in between Deadpool and Logan. Not sure wtf New Mutants is going to be about but it at least seems to suggest Fox are now thinking outside the box with their x-men spin offs.

Maybe Aquaman will surprise us as I guess they can do that Marvel style from scratch. It seems the problem with Justice League was the core of the fim was still BvS style.

For those who've seen it are the sfx as bad as they appear in all the teaser footage? I saw a piece with aquaman being hit by a wave in a sewer that was terrible.

I think Kermode's "how did that person get up there" comments are going to distract me now.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I think what thw DCEU would consider as the ultimate complement nowadays would be "It's just like a Marvel movie!"

From the trailer, my main takeaway was that it was trying really, really hard to be The Avengers but failing spectacularly.

And that comparison has merit, as they even brought in Joss Whedon, presumably to punch it up and make it as much like Avengers as possible.  But you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

From the trailer, my main takeaway was that it was trying really, really hard to be The Avengers but failing spectacularly.

And that comparison has merit, as they even brought in Joss Whedon, presumably to punch it up and make it as much like Avengers as possible.  But you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

They brought in Whedon because he's a friend of Snyder's and Snyder's son committed suicide during the filming.

Or it could be that punch up thing I guess.

Just now, Kalbear said:

They brought in Whedon because he's a friend of Snyder's and Snyder's son committed suicide during the filming.

Or it could be that punch up thing I guess.

Yeah, and they surely could have brought in any number of directors in that situation.  They chose the guy who directed Avengers 1 & 2.  

I don't know what Batman and Superman are "supposed" to be.  So I really liked Man of Steel.  Like, really.  (And Wonder Woman).   Bat v. Supes had people going really negative before it even came out, so I figured the real fans must know what they're talking about, and allowed their firestorm to prejudice me against Bat v. Supes.  Seeing it the first time I "knew" it was bad so all focus was on how much I hate Lex Luthor- - not the character, the actor.   Butt then Doomsday made awesomeness and snapped me awake to how maybe fans on the internet shouldn't be listened to so much.  On second viewing all the negativity had died down months before so I discovered the movie is okay actually.   My only remaining problem is with the premise!  Why the hell would these two fight.  That they'd be so dimwitted in the first place is what keeps the movie from feeling uplifting!  The "execution" of this flawed premise was carried out pretty well, though!

Snyder ain't bad by my reckoning as a casual movies- only fan.  All I know is Christopher Reeves era Super & Bat movies were so cheesy, so if that's the more rosy treatment people want to see forget it.  Zack did well to jumble the scene order in Steel because people already know the story chronologically and would have gotten bored.  

Whedon is my guy, but I'm willing to slap him for going anywhere near Wonder Woman.   But you know what?  No matter how much the first viewing makes me cringe or gripe, a year from now this movie will also be quite fun to see again, once I've gotten over myself and am no longer blocking my full enjoyment of the show.

I think Suicide Squad was quite odd; I didn't sympathize with them.  But overall DC movies aren't bad.   They're darker, and that's how they stand out from Marvel so they shouldn't try to copy Marvel , whose fans' and critics' main advantage is they've learned how to just be happy.   There's more of a divided thing going on within the DC audience I think, which makes it tougher to please everybody.  The actual movies seem fine.  Once you set the world wide web aside.

Hrm.

The movie was a disappointment for me, unfortunately. It just confirmed the idea that Warner wanted this movie before they earned it. I'm really going to try hard not to critique this movie based on the Marvel blueprint, but it's hard not to.

The story needs to merit these characters coming together. The fact that this whole movie hinges on an absolutely horrible CG villain is its undoing. Why Snyder felt that Steppenwolf needed to be CGed is beyond me. In the comics, he looks like a regular dude in armor. Why not allow Hinds to perform as the character and not just voice him? Any credibility Steppenwolf had was undermined by how ridiculous he looked.

That said, I didn't think the movie was terrible. I continue to enjoy the cast. This felt like the first time Cavill was allowed to be Superman, for the most part. The first two minutes of this film has the best Superman moment since the DCEU began. After that amazing scene, I was so hopeful for the rest of the movie. And then the movie happened.

I still think Affleck is the best live action Batman we've gotten. He didn't disappoint, and I liked the chemistry he had with each of the other Leaguers. Gal was consistent with what we got in Wonder Woman. Flash and Aquaman bared little resemblance to their comic book characterizations, but I welcomed the changes -- the team needed, not just diversity in appearance, but diversity of character. The glimpses we got of Atlantis has me hopeful for Aquaman.

Even Cyborg was solid, and I was completely taken back by how much I liked him. I was skeptical over how much he'd actually be given to do, as Cyborg is not a classic Leaguer and the actor is a relative unknown. He had an interesting enough part in the movie, though.

This movie is a solid C+ to me. Not what it should've been, but the likeability of the cast got it over the hump.

Archived