DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

Just watched Justice League this evening.  I enjoyed Man of Steel, I had high expectations from BvS and was let down, Suicide Squad was just a jumbled mess, Wonder Woman was all around a good movie, and I feel Justice League was easily as good as Man of Steel.  Not perfect but enjoyable.  

Spoiler

I was quite relieved to see that somehow Dr. Manhattan was cured and also happened to be the Flash’s father.  Didn’t see that one coming but I liked it nonetheless.  Definitely a high point of the movie for me.  

Saw the movie last night. Maybe my expectations were sufficiently lowered, but I quite enjoyed it. There were quite a few "cool" moments that made me smile while watching. 

Most of my favorite (or cringe) moments are mentioned above, so I won't repeat. Leap's post in particular is almost point for point a match for mine. Especially that Look Superman gave Flash. And continued to give. And track. And follow. Like he too had all the time in the world.

One reason Justice League might lose money, even with all the income generated outside of theatres is because apparently it had a $300 million production budget. That's $120 million more than Thor. It rally doesn;t matter too much of JL only makes $600-$650M at the box office it if still makes a decent profit. Because making a loss is a much bigger risk to the viability of the ongoing DCEU than critic scores or the rantings of people who have a beef with Ben Affleck playing Batman. If they had a sensible production budget below $200M, or even $200-$220M they would be looking at least breaking even on the box office revenue, and then making profit from all the other revenue streams.

Bloated movie budgets is a major risk for movies and I think studios need to get better control over the financial resources they commit to movies. It shouldn't cost $300M to make a decent movie, even one with heavy CGI.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WB has released Superman: The Movie: The Extended Cut

It's the 1982 TV edit of Superman starring Christopher Reeve. It's a 3 hour and 8 minute version as opposed to the theatrical which was 2 hours and 7 minutes and the restored 2000 Special Edition which was 2 hours and 31 minutes.

So...is this a cash grab by WB studios that may be feeling a little panicky as of late regarding their DC movies?

You betcha! But it's a very nice cash grab!

This was the Superman movie I watched as a kid. I recorded this version on Betamax over two nights in 1982 and watched it over and over and over again, nearly wearing the tape out. Now there's a reason Richard Donner cut much of this footage, I don't agree with all the cuts but yeah some of the added scenes can seem unnecessary and bog the movie down.

However, other scenes...Superman going through Lex's defenses to his hideout, the extended version of Superman's first night, extended version of Superman and the California earthquake, they are so fun or the footage is beautiful, the effects are so amazing or any combination thereof.

And yes, there are even more scenes here than even if you watch the deleted scenes on the 2000 Special Edition version.

Also more John Williams music score restored.

So I would say that if you get the feels seeing the Christopher Reeve Superman and hearing John Williams Superman music, and especially if you enjoyed the Donner Cut of Superman II, then I definitely recommend this.

Also, apparently copies of this have been selling like hotcakes. This, or a version thereof, is still the Superman the world is crying out for.

• 1 month later...

Exciting news. I'm not a huge DC fan outside of certain properties, and the New Gods is one of those. DuVernay is a good choice: the thinking is obviously to try to replicate the success of Patty Jenkins.

One wonders if they're going to reference the Ragnarok stuff, maybe just to tweak Marvel's nose? :P

But the visuals. The visuals. Apokalips. Darkseid. It's going to be amazing. 

10 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

There was this rumor or theory that Disney handed A WRINKLE IN TIME to DuVernay to set her up for a Star Wars film or films... and she jumps ship to Warner Bros. If the rumors were credible, then the only conclusion is that Disney realized DuVernay was a much chancier bet than they had thought after seeing how that film shaped up given its poor reception.

I don't trust WB's instincts at all when it comes to the DC properties post-Nolan. They've struck gold just once since, in WW, and have mostly made a variety of bad choices (Zack Snyder, Zack Snyder, Zack Snyder, losing Affleck, throwing Whedon into the grinder of trying to finish Snyder's disaster when there's simply no match visually between them, canning Whedon's Batgirl). So at both ends, the studio and the director, I've little hope for NEW GODS at this stage. And, frankly, chances are better than 50-50 that it never sees the light of day given how much WB vacillates over its enormous envy of what Marvel accomplished and what it has so far failed to replicate.

IMO, DC would be smarter to agree to kick a lot of money to the Vertigo creators to adapt some of their works, to take an approach to heroes radically different from what Marvel offers.

If that rumour is true, then maybe. But it seems unlikely DuVernay was only just approached this week, particularly as she responded to a tweet about her favourite superhero by naming Big Barda just three months ago. 

A more likely scenario is surely that even in December, she had been approached and may even have been in talks, which would naturally have been slowed in the runup to the release of Wrinkle In Time

I agree with you on DC's missteps until now, but if they're willing to change course, this would be the way to do it. Take a gamble, move the spotlight from Earth, do something new.

Oh, Disney has known the film has been a problem for a lot longer than its release date. Pretty sure they got the same negatives from internal viewings as they did from the public. I'd say it's likelier that Disney was having doubts ... lets see, filming wrapped March 2017, they probably had a cut with some VFX and scoring by September.

Maybe DC decided to throw her a lot of money to woo her away from the Disney family and the rumored Star Wars project, but then I'd say Disney wasn't likely to have put up much of a fight. Will be curious to see what more rumors come out of this regarding fallout with Disney.

I do agree trying something totally new is probably an idea for them (the Vertigo titles still strike me as richer territory, and more relevant too), but DuVernay does not strike me as the person to depend upon. I can understand taking a gamble on an unknown -- Patty Jenkins basically did TV work after Monster, and WW was definitely something of a leap for her -- but with DuVernay they _know_ she failed to deliver on a big budget VFX-driven film, so why bank on her to do another one especially if there's a hope of finally finding some territory they can build on successfully since they've repeatedly failed on the standard DC superhero front? I'm mystified. 

Then again, I was mystified that Colin Trevorrow was picked to handle Star Wars IX, but naturally unsurprised when he was ditched. Hollywood works in mysterious ways.

As an outside observer, the one thread I keep seeing in all the chaotic developments within the DC film universe is the lack of a strong unified vision. Coogler said Marvel Studios has sparse upper management. Kevin Feige is essentially the only person ideas need to pass through. And, in that regard, it's a lot easier to get things done, I imagine. And it just so happens Feige is very comfortable with allowing the directors of these films to follow through with their complete vision. Feige knows what he's getting into before he makes the hire. So, if the director does something left field, Feige probably hired the director for that very reason.

With WB, and this is why I can't be too excited about Ava being hired, the impression I always get is a bunch of suits yelling at each other in a room. They've hired a bunch of directors and seen those same directors walk away from the project within months. Their biggest success, Wonder Woman, saw Petty Jenkins telling the press that WB wanted to cut the most iconic scene in that movie -- No Man's Land. It seems they are tone deaf. Even when they have gold, it's almost as if it's by accident.

While I'm absolutely happy to see someone like Ava get more big movies, we'll have to see if she even stays on board for the duration and whether WB will find that one unified voice to see any of this through.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I can understand taking a gamble on an unknown -- Patty Jenkins basically did TV work after Monster, and WW was definitely something of a leap for her -- but with DuVernay they _know_ she failed to deliver on a big budget VFX-driven film, so why bank on her to do another one especially if there's a hope of finally finding some territory they can build on successfully since they've repeatedly failed on the standard DC superhero front? I'm mystified. 

Well, the simplest explanation is surely just to do away with all the rumours and hearsay about planned SW projects and Disney dropping DuVernay because they had foreknowledge about Wrinkle being a bust and just take things at face value? DuVernay was making Wrinkle, then was offered New Gods. The mystery only appears to exist if we first assume facts that are not really in evidence. 

ETA  - I agree completely about wanting to see Vertigo adaptations, though they're not really the sort of film DC seems to be looking for. New Gods offers a sort of Thor: Ragnarok crossed with Guardians of the Galaxy vibe. Catnip to a studio exec, surely. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Exciting news. I'm not a huge DC fan outside of certain properties, and the New Gods is one of those. DuVernay is a good choice: the thinking is obviously to try to replicate the success of Patty Jenkins.

One wonders if they're going to reference the Ragnarok stuff, maybe just to tweak Marvel's nose? :P

But the visuals. The visuals. Apokalips. Darkseid. It's going to be amazing. 

What makes her a good choice?  Her big budget film was not well received and one of the things most often criticized was the poor special effects, something that any DC movie is going to be very reliant upon.  I'd say they dodged a huge bullet when she passed on Black Panther or it too could have been a mess.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Her big budget film was not well received and one of the things most often criticized was the poor special effects, something that any DC movie is going to be very reliant upon.

The special effects aren't necessarily going to have been entirely her failure though. DC will have a different effects house than A Wrinkle in Time.

5 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

As an outside observer, the one thread I keep seeing in all the chaotic developments within the DC film universe is the lack of a strong unified vision. Coogler said Marvel Studios has sparse upper management. Kevin Feige is essentially the only person ideas need to pass through. And, in that regard, it's a lot easier to get things done, I imagine. And it just so happens Feige is very comfortable with allowing the directors of these films to follow through with their complete vision. Feige knows what he's getting into before he makes the hire. So, if the director does something left field, Feige probably hired the director for that very reason.

On this, while time will tell if it's really the case, supposedly DC have now done this, putting Geoff Johns in much more of a Feige position. Bit different because Johns, of course, has no film experience, but he knows how to handle a comic book franchise and has repeated history in pulling things together that have been messy and fragmented and shouldn't work.
The decision was made after BvS but Justice League was too advanced to change much then. Hopefully we'll see some sign in Aquaman that there's now more of a unified vision, though as I understand it, Shazam will be the first film that was essentially started after the new setup was put in place.

I just hope they punt David Ayer off Gotham City Sirens before it's too late.

Archived