JEORDHl

DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

196 posts in this topic

On the 'it's-not-Superman-after-all' twist: I've not seen the Supergirl suggestion before but I have seen the Green Lantern suggestion, among others. It's not gonna happen. It's Superman.

There is no way Superman isn't in this movie. On the one hand, you have a possibly-cool twist to the story which does nothing for Warner Brothers except possibly be cool. On the other, you have the single biggest superhero property in history which sells tickets, toys, tie-ins and gets media hype.

It's Superman.

Casting Jason Momoa as Auqaman seems like one of the worst castings ever made. I'm not a DC fan so I don't know much about Auqaman but everything shown about Momoa's Auqaman seems like Momoa is playing himself not Auqaman. Plus Momoa is not a good actor nor is his personality appealing in any way IMO. Someone said that he would have been a great Lobo(whoever that is)

Cyborg is ugh. I had a long conversation with a DC fan and they were telling me about how they didn't like Cyborg being a JL member and how he didn't like the character and I can see why. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

On the 'it's-not-Superman-after-all' twist: I've not seen the Supergirl suggestion before but I have seen the Green Lantern suggestion, among others. It's not gonna happen. It's Superman.

There is no way Superman isn't in this movie. On the one hand, you have a possibly-cool twist to the story which does nothing for Warner Brothers except possibly be cool. On the other, you have the single biggest superhero property in history which sells tickets, toys, tie-ins and gets media hype.

It's Superman.

I think there's no doubt that Superman is in this movie even if we hadn't already seen him in set photos or heard about the current issues where they're having to digitally edit his mustache out of reshoots because his Mission Impossible contract says he has to have it. But, although I'm fairly sure it is, it doesn't necessarily  mean the person at the end of the trailer is him.

10 hours ago, mormont said:

It's Superman.

The hologram Batfleck is looking at with a red cape fluttering exposes a right leg (~1:40 in the trailer), which looks like it may be bare above the knee (but tattooed?) with almost knee high boots, and a shape that looks more female than male.

Just because Superman is in doesn't mean Supergirl is out, of course.

While the Supergirl TV show might not be winning a lot of fans, it has normalised the idea of Supergirl and Superman operating together. Personally withing the DCEU I would quite like it if Supergirl is introduced at the time of her first arrival on Earth, 20 something years too late and still being a young teen.

Can't really do a young Clarke Smallville movie, so why not do the next best thing and do a young Supergirl version?

Hologram or no, if Superman is in this movie (and we know he is), then he is the big reveal, the guy who saves the day. Having Superman be in the movie but Supergirl be the big reveal, the one that Alfred prays hasn't come too late? Does that really seem likely to anyone?

The advertising would be pretty false in terms of the posters if Superman wasn't the one returning in the final act. I'm not ruling out Green Lantern or possibly even supergirl (she could be a Joss Whedon reshoot insertion) but the film will have screwed up if Superman is not the last minute saviour.

Did anyone see the pictures of Cavill at the polo event he was at during comic-con? That "moustache" would be murder to regrow.

I think they are just trying to keep a non-secret, secret. Maybe outside of social media there are some people thinking Superman isn't in the film/is still dead? They'll get a nice surprise when they watch it. Although maybe it's going to be Luke Skywalker levels of screentime?

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Did anyone see the pictures of Cavill at the polo event he was at during comic-con? That "moustache" would be murder to regrow.

Off topic but that guy can go anywhere and look fantastic can't he.

57 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Off topic but that guy can go anywhere and look fantastic can't he.

Dunno, even he can't pull off that hat.

13 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Dunno, even he can't pull off that hat.

Was thinking that myself.

18 hours ago, red snow said:

Apparently the stache is for a role Cavill is playing in the new Mission Impossible movie. It's causing some issues for the reshoot scenes that Whedon has been brought onboard for.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/justice-league/266623/justice-league-and-hollywoods-era-of-major-reshoots?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

7 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Apparently the stache is for a role Cavill is playing in the new Mission Impossible movie. It's causing some issues for the reshoot scenes that Whedon has been brought onboard for.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/justice-league/266623/justice-league-and-hollywoods-era-of-major-reshoots?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

I've read a few comments on the humour of how a franchise famed for fake moustaches are having such an issue with Cavill maybe having to get rid of his 'tash for Justice League reshoots.

Cavill showed a great sense of humour in responding to this. Seems like a social media storm in a teacup but at least it gave us some funny photos and the phrase "Justache League"

Posted (edited)

I re-watched Wonder Woman last night, and that thread is closed, so just a quick question. What sword did Diana use in BvS, when her original sword was destroyed by Ares? And I think her shield was different, too, now that I think about it.

Edited by Corvinus

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I re-watched Wonder Woman last night, and that thread is closed, so just a quick question. What sword did Diana use in BvS, when her original sword was destroyed by Ares? And I think her shield was different, too, now that I think about it.

Have to imagine that will be answered in either a sequel or Justice League, as far as I know there isn't an answer yet. I don't see why she couldn't just nip back to Themyscira for one, but somehow I suspect that didn't happen.

Edited by Leap

The Louvre probably had them just laying around in a box somewhere.

The sword is a bit less special than what the Themyscira believed it to be. She probably used her godly powers to imbue a mundane sword she got made soon after WW1 with special sharpness and durability.

More youtube speculation showing up re supergirl. Speculation going back to MoS showing an open pod that isn't Kal's. I mean there is surely only one other person who could have arrived on Earth in a Kryptonian pod, right?

And speculation the green glint in Alfred's glasses suggesting a lantern might well turn up. but possibly not THE green lantern. Or it might just be a green light on a control panel.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

And speculation the green glint in Alfred's glasses suggesting a lantern might well turn up. but possibly not THE green lantern. Or it might just be a green light on a control panel.

I don't get this speculation given Steppenwolfs line in the trailer.  There won't be any Green Lanterns.  Hence why the Green Lantern Corps movie comes afterwards to get Earth a Lantern.  It's not hard. At best there will some planes taking on something and a mention of Hal Jordan   One may not like the DC movies but they do actually have at least a bare bones logical plan behind them. MOS and BVS see giant metahuman threats that regular humans cannot handle.. Suicide Squad tries to make a regularish human team to handle such threats but fails... hence Batman wants to form Justice League.