DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

I just don't get the constant clinging to Superman. I know Snyder made part of this film, but I suppose I was hoping Wedon would come in and change course and make the focus be Wonder Woman--as, you know, she was AWESOME in her movie, totally absorbing, interesting, heroic, and worth following.

A world without hope? That's when Wonder Woman shows up with her awesome theme and jams hope back down the throats of the whiners. Superman can come back. And take his role as a secondary background character. Damn it.

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I just don't get the constant clinging to Superman. I know Snyder made part of this film, but I suppose I was hoping Wedon would come in and change course and make the focus be Wonder Woman--as, you know, she was AWESOME in her movie, totally absorbing, interesting, heroic, and worth following.

A world without hope? That's when Wonder Woman shows up with her awesome theme and jams hope back down the throats of the whiners. Superman can come back. And take his role as a secondary background character. Damn it.

I totally agree that the DCEU should course-correct towards WW, but I'd much rather they do it properly and, if they still have a universe after this film, do it after this film, rather than risk even more disaster and spoiling her character by making rushed changes to a plotline that will have already been pretty much finished when her success became clear.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I totally agree that the DCEU should course-correct towards WW, but I'd much rather they do it properly and, if they still have a universe after this film, do it after this film, rather than risk even more disaster and spoiling her character by making rushed changes to a plotline that will have already been pretty much finished when her success became clear.

Yer probably right, and I should be patient...

On 10/8/2017 at 9:37 AM, Bastard of Boston said:

Final(?) Justice League trailer

Bold move to just basically remake The Avengers six years after Marvel did it, only (almost certainly) much worse.

Also, I hate the color palate that DC uses in their movies.  Everything is so grey and depressing.  Flash looks like he stepped in from a totally different movie because he's the only one who is apparently allowed to wear any color.

On 10-10-2017 at 2:55 PM, Simon Steele said:

Man of Steel to me is more interesting in comics as well as these movies than Wonder Woman, so I'm not interested in things playing out the way you hope for. Gadot does well as Wonder Woman but it's not as if that is such a great character.

From the trailers, the Aquaman character actually stands out to me as quite charismatic, could be the surprise of this film.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, Calibandar said:

Man of Steel to me is more interesting in comics as well as these movies than Wonder Woman, so I'm not interested in things playing out the way you hope for. Gadot does well as Wonder Woman but it's not as if that is such a great character.

From the trailers, the Aquaman character actually stands out to me as quite charismatic, could be the surprise of this film.

I'm with you, regarding Aquaman. The character seems to have that endearing thing of liking what he is and what he's doing (sort of what makes Iron Man work in the films).

I'd be amazed if the reshoots have not been in order to add a bit more focus to Wonder Woman into the film. Just a few extra lines etc.

I'm still feeling bad for Cyborg - that CGI armour is not doing the character any favours.

17 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Zachary Levi is Shazam

I sort of fell in love with the idea of John Cena as Shazam. I liked the idea of him playing off of The Rock. I can dig this, though.

I think that's pretty good casting. Shazam (I assume they mean captain Marvel?) has to be a man-child and Zach Levi can pull that off with ease. I think that's more important than him having the huge frame that the character usually has. Levi is a tall guy so if they have him training with the Rock he'll bulk up.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think that's pretty good casting. Shazam (I assume they mean captain Marvel?) has to be a man-child and Zach Levi can pull that off with ease. I think that's more important than him having the huge frame that the character usually has. Levi is a tall guy so if they have him training with the Rock he'll bulk up.

It's quite a difficult role because Marvel (or Shazam, if they insist) has to be childlike, but not childish, and still carry a serious amount of gravitas - other characters are frequently in awe of him. He's essentially Superman but even more accentuated. Hopefully Levi can pull it off.

Cena would have been a terrible choice. But then The Rock isn't an especially good choice for Black Adam.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's quite a difficult role because Marvel (or Shazam, if they insist) has to be childlike, but not childish, and still carry a serious amount of gravitas - other characters are frequently in awe of him. He's essentially Superman but even more accentuated. Hopefully Levi can pull it off.

Cena would have been a terrible choice. But then The Rock isn't an especially good choice for Black Adam.

I often feel it's a shame Jon Hamm never dipped his toes into the superhero genre as I think the could pull off the noble heroes/ones with gravitas really well eg superman/captain america etc. Probably better for him as an artist to have avoided them though.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

I often feel it's a shame Jon Hamm never dipped his toes into the superhero genre as I think the could pull off the noble heroes/ones with gravitas really well eg superman/captain america etc. Probably better for him as an artist to have avoided them though.

I actually think Hamm's real strength is comedy. He's hilarious in almost everything outside of Mad Men (which he is brilliant in). I really like how he manages to subvert his own 'suave leading man' image. At this moment I'm not sure I could take him seriously in a superhero movie if he was playing it straight.

On 28/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Think Hamm could be an incredibly villain or anti-hero  Not sure who right off the top of my head. Maybe Hitman?

I guess his role in baby driver showed he can do villain with ease (him and Foxx stole that film performance wise)

On 29/10/2017 at 0:19 PM, Eggegg said:

I actually think Hamm's real strength is comedy. He's hilarious in almost everything outside of Mad Men (which he is brilliant in). I really like how he manages to subvert his own 'suave leading man' image. At this moment I'm not sure I could take him seriously in a superhero movie if he was playing it straight.

I don't know if I can recall seeing him in any comedies. I remember him in Black Mirror which he was great in.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

I guess his role in baby driver showed he can do villain with ease (him and Foxx stole that film performance wise)

I don't know if I can recall seeing him in any comedies. I remember him in Black Mirror which he was great in.

Yeah that he was was good in. Also great in Bridesmaids, Kimmy schmidt and numerous SNL and other sketches I've seen him in. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

First impressions of JL are out.

Looks better than I had hoped, at this point. Yes, my expectations were that low, in spite of the fact I really liked MoS and enjoyed BvS (mostly).

Ok I'm reading those reactions as 'Desperately searching around for nice things to say about something that is probably a trainwreck'

I'm seeing words like 'Okay' , ' Mess' , 'Fun' 'Super thin' , 'Weak CGI' and I'm pretty sure this movie is not good, and I have no appetite for a less than average superhero movie full of the forced chemistry and woeful action scenes I saw in the trailer. 

Archived