DCEU: The Wings of Liberty Have Lost Some Feathers

JGP

• 3 weeks later...

If you would have told me 20 years ago, 10 years ago, or 1 year ago I'd be far more excited for a Wonder Woman movie than the next Star Wars movie I would have called you insane.  But it is what it is. Another good trailer, and I fucking love her 'metal' theme.

36 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

If you would have told me 20 years ago, 10 years ago, or 1 year ago I'd be far more excited for a Wonder Woman movie than the next Star Wars movie I would have called you insane.  But it is what it is. Another good trailer, and I fucking love her 'metal' theme.

The next Star Wars movie is Rogue One and I can't wait to see it... my excitement for Ep 8 is a bit tempered though, yes.

If you had told my teenage self that a Batman vs Superman movie would come out and I wouldn't bother to see it in the theater, but a Wonder Woman movie would have me clamoring for midnight release tickets; I would have told you were crazy though.

• 1 month later...

Wonder Woman gets another International Trailer. It's in Russian so I have no idea what anyone is saying, but it looks good visually. (Although it is amusing to try out it's auto-generated Russian, which is then translated to English, it's terribly wrong, but not as bad as it could be)

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Ben Affleck Will Not Direct ‘The Batman’

Yikes, DC's film slate is a mess right now. They can't get anyone to stick as Flash director, to the point where they're doing a page one re-write -- for a movie coming out next year -- and now this.

Huh. I mean, Affleck's saying the right things, and surely there's a dearth of directors that could handle the duty better [no offense meant] but why? Producing, co-writing, acting and directing? Even Snyder can't claim to have had more of a stamp than that. Is he looking for a whiff of plausible deniability?

Affleck's been hemming and hawing about his commitment to both writing and directing this film for a while now. I think he liked the idea but came to realise he'd bitten off more than he could chew. I'm sure there are also internal politics in play. Handing effectively complete creative control over Batman to Affleck was a big move by DC: some people were bound to have been against it.

it's a shame he's dropping out of writing and directing but I suspect it's a case of "he didn't want to do it until it was ready and WB wanted it out next year". There's also the damage limitation aspect in that despite all the problems with BvS very few people took issue with Affleck's performance. Maybe he's decided it's safer not to take the risk. I also think his reason about directing while in the Bat costume could be a genuine part of the issue, maybe not the major one though.

Could there also be a sense that after the bomb of his latest movie, WB decided it wasn't worth waiting? In a "we'll take him if he does it now but we won't hold off for a 2019 release with him directing"?

Fingers crossed they find another suitable director and don't hand it over to Snyder. Maybe Affleck would walk from the role if he had to do another film with him?

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Not a chance, even if he wiggles out of the contracts he'll have signed, he'll find it very hard to work again if he breaches trust like that.

Had he signed for that film in particular? I was thinking with BvS, Suicide Squad, and the two Justice League films he may have fulfilled the number of appearances he needs to do? I guess it depends on whether "The batman" was a separate film or what the number of films were in the multi-film contract.

13 minutes ago, Leap said:

I'd like a Daredevil hallway scene - meets - Reservoir Dogs - meets - Mad Max-esque Batman film, set exclusively in Arkham, featuring a lot of goons, some detective work, lots of sarcastic Alfred on the earpiece, a fair amount of named supervillains  and ultimately a better version of The Joker. 

Like I say, the campaign for a Park Chan-wook Batman movie begins now. :P

1 hour ago, Leap said:

I'd like a Daredevil hallway scene - meets - Reservoir Dogs - meets - Mad Max-esque Batman film, set exclusively in Arkham, featuring a lot of goons, some detective work, lots of sarcastic Alfred on the earpiece, a fair amount of named supervillains  and ultimately a better version of The Joker. 

So you basically just want to play Arkham Asylum?

Archived