What did the faceless man mean?

robasp2

"Its a shame- She had many gifts"

What did the faceless man mean by this?

What gift does she have that he could know?

From what we have seen, she is a woman who fights (pretty rare there)..thats it.

The waif was much better.

She had a heart..uh, not what faceless men like in a servant.

So what else? Why?

24 minutes ago, adiman83 said:

He meant she had potential to become a great Faceless Man.

Precisely, because some of her gifts are very rare and very useful for an assassin. For example:

54 minutes ago, DarkSnow said:

She is a warg maybe he can sense that.

Also, in response to

18 hours ago, robasp2 said:

So what else? Why?

I always believed that While Walkers are natural allies of the Many-Faced-God. Both are death-oriented. FM can take the faces of the dead, while WWs, or at least the NK, can make them rise again. In line with that and considering the amount of time the show and the books devoted to the FM, and presuming that Stark blood for some reason matters to the WWs, I think it could be the reason why Arya was allowed to recieve training.

Also, I think that "The girl had many gits" was not referring to Arya (which makes this discussion irrelevant), but to the waif, because the kindly man knows that actually Arya will kill her, not the other way around. But he accepts this, because waif wants to kill Arya, and it the wrong reason to kill someone, they are servants of the Many-Faced-God. Waif never understood why Arya is important, and never assumed she could be important, and this is a lesson to her. She'll die to learn it, though. 

It is just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Magog said:

Precisely, because some of her gifts are very rare and very useful for an assassin. For example:

Also, in response to

I always believed that While Walkers are natural allies of the Many-Faced-God. Both are death-oriented. FM can take the faces of the dead, while WWs, or at least the NK, can make them rise again. In line with that and considering the amount of time the show and the books devoted to the FM, and presuming that Stark blood for some reason matters to the WWs, I think it could be the reason why Arya was allowed to recieve training.

Also, I think that "The girl had many gits" was not referring to Arya (which makes this discussion irrelevant), but to the waif, because the kindly man knows that actually Arya will kill her, not the other way around. But he accepts this, because waif wants to kill Arya, and it the wrong reason to kill someone, they are servants of the Many-Faced-God. Waif never understood why Arya is important, and never assumed she could be important, and this is a lesson to her. She'll die to learn it, though. 

It is just my opinion.

It would make sense that the FM and the WW's were linked. The FM originated from the slaves of old Valaryia so i would imagine that they dislike dragons/fire. 

1 hour ago, Magog said:

Even after what we saw last week you still think this? That's interesting. We saw that the COF created the WW's, so no one else has any ties to them whatsoever. The FM started half way across the world and we have never seen any evidence that they have ever been North of the wall so where are the ties other than death? Just curious on what you see here.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Even after what we saw last week you still think this? That's interesting. We saw that the COF created the WW's, so no one else has any ties to them whatsoever. The FM started half way across the world and we have never seen any evidence that they have ever been North of the wall so where are the ties other than death? Just curious on what you see here.

I only said that I THINK that they can be perceived as natural allies. This does not mean that they are actual ones. Obviously, no WW went south of the wall since the wall was built, and we have no reason to believe that FM had any interest in going beyond the wall. He could have had read about them, though, and possibly gained some insight into their agenda. I mean, he could be old as hell, who knows whose face he is wearing and who he is truly? 

However, my point is that, because of their odd similarities, they can perceive each other as potential partners. Imagine the reaction of kindly man and his response if he saw men and women gifted with death rise again, as undead. He could react as: "Wow, this is the true face of the Many-Faced-God", and what a coincidence that dragons are reborn and that there is a new Valyrian Lord riding them (remember why FM were created and who created them), and that these WWs have ice magic which could possibly do the trick against the dragons!

However, this is a speculation, as he could resent them for disturbing the dead as well.

But, my problem here is that this is not something D&D would do, now that I think about it. With them, everything is always the way it is presented. Plain and clear. 

11 minutes ago, Magog said:

I only said that I THINK that they can be perceived as natural allies. This does not mean that they are actual ones. Obviously, no WW went south of the wall since the wall was built, and we have no reason to believe that FM had any interest in going beyond the wall. He could have had read about them, though, and possibly gained some insight into their agenda. I mean, he could be old as hell, who knows whose face he is wearing and who he is truly? 

However, my point is that, because of their odd similarities, they can perceive each other as potential partners. Imagine the reaction of kindly man and his response if he saw men and women gifted with death rise again, as undead. He could react as: "Wow, this is the true face of the Many-Faced-God", and what a coincidence that dragons are reborn and that there is a new Valyrian Lord riding them (remember why FM were created and who created them), and that these WWs have ice magic which could possibly do the trick against the dragons!

However, this is a speculation, as he could resent them for disturbing the dead as well.

But, my problem here is that this is not something D&D would do, now that I think about it. With them, everything is always the way it is presented. Plain and clear. 

Yeah, just trying to get some insight on you thoughts. I see the WW's as an enemy to all men though. They were created to kill men, Dornish, Lannisters, royalty or poor, they don't care, only that they need to die.

As to the religious tie in, doesn't the faith of the seven also have a god of death, the stranger? So by rights, they also worship a god of death.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, just trying to get some insight on you thoughts. I see the WW's as an enemy to all men though. They were created to kill men, Dornish, Lannisters, royalty or poor, they don't care, only that they need to die.

As to the religious tie in, doesn't the faith of the seven also have a god of death, the stranger? So by rights, they also worship a god of death.

WWs are a weapon, and Bran will learn to control them, like COTF could not - that is why they needed 3ER in the first place. Otherwise, nobody stands a chance. Not even dragons. Imagine if they killed one dragon and brought it back as the undead! I mean, when they pass the wall, and they will, nobody can save the world, nobody! That is, if they indeed are the intelligent but yet evil force. I do not think so. NK killed 3ER because he wanted to free himself. That is my point of view. 

That is why Arya is important to FM, because she will buy them a ticket to the side of Ice Masters of Death, without even realizing it.

However, what will actually happen is that Arya will simply leave and we will see no more of FM-Arya interaction, except if waif finds her, but that's it. 

2 minutes ago, Magog said:

WWs are a weapon, and Bran will learn to control them, like COTF could not - that is why they needed 3ER in the first place. Otherwise, nobody stands a chance. Not even dragons. Imagine if they killed one dragon and brought it back as the undead! I mean, when they pass the wall, and they will, nobody can save the world, nobody! That is, if they indeed are the intelligent but yet evil force. I do not think so. NK killed 3ER because he wanted to free himself. That is my point of view. 

That is why Arya is important to FM, because she will buy them a ticket to the side of Ice Masters of Death, without even realizing it.

However, what will actually happen is that Arya will simply leave and we will see no more of FM-Arya interaction, except if waif finds her, but that's it. 

Why do you think dragons don't stand a chance, just because of the cold? The WW have shown no ability to launch spears or arrows so how would they kill a dragon? We have seen that the dead can't handle fire, it kills them, so a dragon would be devastating against them.

The Waif and Arya are definitely battling it before Arya leaves, no doubt about it.

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Why do you think dragons don't stand a chance, just because of the cold? The WW have shown no ability to launch spears or arrows so how would they kill a dragon? We have seen that the dead can't handle fire, it kills them, so a dragon would be devastating against them.

The Waif and Arya are definitely battling it before Arya leaves, no doubt about it.

Ok. Undead don't stand a chance, but WWs are intelligent and would probably avoid exposing their army to three dragons, unless as a bait to kill one or two of them, or to turn them into an White/Ice Dragon? That would be a power shift.

So, what is fire vs ice to you? How do you see it going down? WW as a an intelligent and magical version of orcs and Dany as the savior? 

Remember, this is a story about the Starks children. The whole thing is about them.

35 minutes ago, Magog said:

Ok. Undead don't stand a chance, but WWs are intelligent and would probably avoid exposing their army to three dragons, unless as a bait to kill one or two of them, or to turn them into an White/Ice Dragon? That would be a power shift.

So, what is fire vs ice to you? How do you see it going down? WW as a an intelligent and magical version of orcs and Dany as the savior? 

Remember, this is a story about the Starks children. The whole thing is about them.

Well, it is the song of Ice and Fire, not the song of the Starks.

Dragons if I remember correctly struggled in the cold, so maybe they aren't used in battle much since it's always very cold when the WW are around. So maybe they are used to manufacture dragon glass?

I honestly don't know and that is what's I like.

The FMs use of the past tense is interesting - girl HAD many gifts.  It is easy to assume that he means Arya, who can warg, but she also is a good liar, a good actress, and a good student.  However, if the FM mean the waif, then she too had many gifts.  She served at the side of the FM, she was privy to some of the more administrative issues, and she served as a mentor.  What she couldn't do is abandon herself, her hate of Arya.  So, to the FM, she is already dead as he knows Arya could kill her <- speculation. 

Note: What was the line just before this, when the waif told FM something about Arya not killing the actress.  What did the waif say?

22 hours ago, robasp2 said:

So what else? Why?

She's smart and cunning, survivor, from the North, stubborn, not only fights but blind-fights too (kick-ass!), can tell apart poisons by their smell (or at least was sniffing them in one scene, but that's how I interpreted it based on the books), has what it takes to be a killer. Just happened to be a bit too ethical to be a FM...

47 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Well, it is the song of Ice and Fire, not the song of the Starks.

Meaning no offense good Sers, but if you want to go there: on the telly it's Game of Thrones.

5 hours ago, Magog said:

It is just my opinion.

Oh, wow. Yeah.

I do believe that "Jaquen" fondness and the Waif hatred to Arya  was really odd, if not contradictory, to two faceless adepts. I could understand that the Waif taught of Arya as a liability to the institution, that she would never learn to be "no-one" (she was right), therefore, exposing their secrets to her was dangerous (we will see). But, the smile she had when Jaquen give her the green light to kill Arya was strange and out of place. Why does a faceless (wo)man would experience joy in the murder of someone? Having feelings towards the target could jepordize the assignment, or even killing without one. Isn't that why Arya was punished?

6 hours ago, Magog said:

It is just my opinion.

Well done Ser

Archived