It just occured to me about Arya

Kingpin

She has lost the highest fortune in the history of the world. 

If an assassination is worth so much not even kings could afford it, depending on the person, then we're talking about lots and lots of money and favours, plus the assassination could be in her own interest aswell. 

A faceless man gave her 3 free assassinations. Free. No restrictions on who target is, or when she chooses to have it dead.

And she wasted them on a torturer, a soldier and to escape. 

What a shame. 

So saving her life and the lives of her friends... was a waste?

And you really think it's about the money for Arya? This girl grew up in luxury and wealth but preferred to roll around with peasants and destroy her clothes from playing...etc. She is not about that life.

She was stuck in Harrenhal and chose to keep Jaqen near for her for own protection. Besides her naming people like Gregor Clegane, Tywin Lannister and Joffrey Lannister would change the entire series. 

Gregor Clegane dead means no Oberyn Martell and Mountain duel. That means that Dorne does not get thrown into chaos. 

Tywin Lannister dead means no Red Wedding. No Red Wedding means no Northern civil war. We're also robbed of the confrontation between Tywin and Tyrion.

Joffrey Lannister dead means no Purple Wedding and no Tyrion trial. Thus, Tyrion doesn't go to Essos to meet up with Dany. 

Considering this, there's no way that George would have Arya name these kinds of characters. He'd have to restructure several plotlines.

Also Jaqen's assassinations can be time limited.

“Speak the name, and death will come. On the morrow, at the turn of the moon, a year from this day, it will come. A man does not fly like a bird, but one foot moves and then another and one day a man is there, and a king dies.”

In the books there is a passage where after escaping Harrenhall she thinks to herself she should have named Joffrey etc.

The thing is that she and her friends would have escaped Harrenhall if not for Jaqen's help and would probably be imprisoned or dead.

Killing Joffrey, Tywin or anyone else wouldn't automatically win the war in favor of the Starks. The war is still going on now and a lot more than 3 important people have died.

Remenber that Jaqen didnt want to kill the guards right in the moment Arya named them, but she threatened him by naming Jaqen himself. Death is certain but the timing is not. It could take months or years to kill people who are far away and more protected.

1 hour ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

In the books there is a passage where after escaping Harrenhall she thinks to herself she should have named Joffrey etc.

Not only that, the day after naming Weese she realizes she should have named Tywin (thinking something like "because that what you do during war") - who is about to leave Harrenhal - and wonders if she can get Jaqen to change the name....only to encounter Weese's dog chewing on the remains of his master.  If only Weese had remembered to share his capon with Arya like he promised...

Anyway, this is always something people are up in arms about the first time they watch the show or read the books.  The general responses:  the first two named make sense from the perspective of a ten year old girl and highlight her desperate situation; she has no idea how long it would take if she named Joffrey and Cersei, as Jaqen explicitly says the timeframe could be months or even years; and it's another way in which Martin toys with our emotions :)

It didn't have to be someone she wanted dead, she could trade them with things a simple assassination wouldn't offer her. Like make a deal with Tywin to name a person of his choosing in exchange for many more things, not only money. Of course she's just a kid, it's Jaqen's fault for not letting her know how valuable his gift was!

Although now that I think of it, if Olenna can kill the king and get away with it, the price the faceless men ask for high value targets is absurdly high and is used to create the "myth" around faceless men. 

On 5/31/2016 at 9:02 AM, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

It could take months or years to kill people who are far away and more protected.

I realize how lame of a deal this seems to be. All the FM have to do is sit back and wait for the person to die, then claim it was them, everyone dies eventually.

On 5/30/2016 at 4:20 PM, Winter's Cold said:

She was stuck in Harrenhal and chose to keep Jaqen near for her for own protection. Besides her naming people like Gregor Clegane, Tywin Lannister and Joffrey Lannister would change the entire series. 

Gregor Clegane dead means no Oberyn Martell and Mountain duel. That means that Dorne does not get thrown into chaos. 

Tywin Lannister dead means no Red Wedding. No Red Wedding means no Northern civil war. We're also robbed of the confrontation between Tywin and Tyrion.

Joffrey Lannister dead means no Purple Wedding and no Tyrion trial. Thus, Tyrion doesn't go to Essos to meet up with Dany. 

Considering this, there's no way that George would have Arya name these kinds of characters. He'd have to restructure several plotlines.

Also Jaqen's assassinations can be time limited.

This is the practical answer.  It just wouldn't have worked plot wise to have the Faceless man cropping up to get all of our least favorite characters.

I think we gotta cut Arya a little slack that she was in a pretty perilous situation.  When you figure in the end she was able to have two people killed and then save three lives she came out pretty well in the deal.  Also, as was stated above she does realize that she should have aimed a little higher.

I think what is interesting is that he named Jaqen and he took it seriously that it was him.  I mean really he is no one, so why not get out of it that way?  

I've always wondered how he had the authority to grant three deaths just because he decided to. 

Apparently the "only death can pay for life" thing isn't a 1:1 ratio...if you save someone that was supposed to die, there must be death in its place. Faceless men evidently are worth three lives. Or maybe that particular faceless man is high ranking and can do whatever he wants.

But how can one "no-one" be higher ranking than another? Arya should have said "How can no-one be in charge of a bunch of other no-ones? hey look, no-one is training with no-one under the orders of no-one. You say only death can pay for life, but I just saw no-one die. How's that possible?" and then all of the faceless men's heads explode and she gathers all the faces and walks out of the House of Black and White.

4 hours ago, Castigear said:

I've always wondered how he had the authority to grant three deaths just because he decided to. 

Apparently the "only death can pay for life" thing isn't a 1:1 ratio...if you save someone that was supposed to die, there must be death in its place. Faceless men evidently are worth three lives. Or maybe that particular faceless man is high ranking and can do whatever he wants.

She saves the lives of Jaqen, Rorge, and Biter.  Three lives saved, threed deaths owed to the MF God.  At least that is the book, can't remember the show.

5 hours ago, Castigear said:

But how can one "no-one" be higher ranking than another? Arya should have said "How can no-one be in charge of a bunch of other no-ones? hey look, no-one is training with no-one under the orders of no-one. You say only death can pay for life, but I just saw no-one die. How's that possible?" and then all of the faceless men's heads explode and she gathers all the faces and walks out of the House of Black and White.

I think he said three because she also saved Rorge and Bitter, who were also in the cage with him, for a ceartain fiery death. So three lifes for their own. She saved them in the show as well, from what I remember.

The 2nd name had to happen or

On 5/30/2016 at 2:47 PM, Kingpin said:

She has lost the highest fortune in the history of the world. 

If an assassination is worth so much not even kings could afford it, depending on the person, then we're talking about lots and lots of money and favours, plus the assassination could be in her own interest aswell. 

A faceless man gave her 3 free assassinations. Free. No restrictions on who target is, or when she chooses to have it dead.

And she wasted them on a torturer, a soldier and to escape. 

What a shame. 

The only one she wasted was on the torturer. The soldier death had to happen or she would have likely died because the solider  was on his way to tell Tywin about the note she stolen. The last death was for Tywin but he left on his way to King Landing while Jaqen H'gha  was on patrol and he told her it could be months before it happen. So she ended up using the last one to save her friends and escape the city

Archived