What is the role of the Magisters?

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I am intrigued as to the role of the Magisters in the Free Cities, especially those that do not appear to elect a Prince or Archon (e.g. Myr and Lys). In the Italian City states that the Free Cities seem to draw upon, there were often far more executive and legislative positions. So are these men (or women, I'm not sure) the government of the city, or its legislature? Do they perform both roles maybe? Elected positions in Italian Republics were also often linked to membership of the guilds - but are there any instances of Guilds being mentioned in the Free Cities? Just wondered if anyone else had some thoughts or theories on this. 

Well in Lorath there are three 'Princes' who're elected, but the positions are purely ceremonial and the real authority resides in a council of magister made up of nobles, priests, and merchants. So presumably they're more than just a legislature.

In Norvos all we know is that there is a council of magisters, and that its member are chosen by their God via the Bearded Priests. As to what their actual role is, who knows? Since Norvos is essentially a theocracy, I can't imagine it's much.

In Lys and Myr the cities themselves are ruled by a conclave of magisters selected from the wealthiest and noblest men of the city. And the fact that it says 'ruled' makes it sound like they are the ones who actively govern the city and don't just make laws. As for Tyrosh, all I can find is that they select the Archon who rules the city so I'm not sure if they have any active role in governance (though I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

And as for Guilds, I can't find any mention of them in the Free Cities. The only references to them I can find are in Qarth, which isn't particularly relevant here.

Archived