Southron Conspiracy: would Aerys have been overthrown anyway even if he was not mad?

No.  The Seven kingdoms prospered under his reign, despite his madness.  The small folk were happy.  Most of the nobles were happy.  It's just those two malcontents, Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon that would have caused problems.  A healthy Aerys could have arranged to entrap them for treason and execute them.  I wish he had.

Southern Conspiracy? Rickard Stark was the centerpiece and he was anything but a Southerner.

Anyway, Aerys being mad was the root of the entire alliance-building between the Lords Paramount. If he hadn't spent twenty years making people nervous about his insane actions, there would be no need for a conspiracy.

Yes, but his madness made his downfall easier. And I don't think the Citadel would've been okay with Rhaegar ruling, considering his interest in prophecies and magic stuff like that. And seeing that his belief in prophecies likely caused a civil war, it's hard to blame them. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Lady_of_the_black said:

No way. Nobody wants war. If the king is just, then all is well in the realm. The kings craziness sparked the rebellion for sure.

What she said.

40 minutes ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Wait, what? "Nobody wants war?" About 100 out of 110 billion humans historically alive disagree.

Well, in westeros, peace is better for everybody. The Starks don't want to get involved in war. My point is, war doesn't usually start for no freakin reason. And where do you get those numbers? If I went and asked 100 people if they wanted to go to war, wtf do you think they would say? The people who have to fight typically don't want to.. little finger is all about war and chaos, but he is craven. He is never fighting! And he is one in a thousand. The majority of the army is made up of fighters, so I totally disagree with you. Maybe screwed up dudes with fat wallets want war, for their benefit. But the majority disagrees. Unless it's for freedom, but even then, nobody wants to match to their eminent deaths! A man like rickard doesn't want to send so many of his men to war.. Unless there is a very good reason, like an insane king. Those men are valuable. Want to vs have to.. there's a pretty big difference there.

5 hours ago, Lady_of_the_black said:

Well, in westeros, peace is better for everybody. The Starks don't want to get involved in war. My point is, war doesn't usually start for no freakin reason. And where do you get those numbers? If I went and asked 100 people if they wanted to go to war, wtf do you think they would say? The people who have to fight typically don't want to.. little finger is all about war and chaos, but he is craven. He is never fighting! And he is one in a thousand. The majority of the army is made up of fighters, so I totally disagree with you. Maybe screwed up dudes with fat wallets want war, for their benefit. But the majority disagrees. Unless it's for freedom, but even then, nobody wants to match to their eminent deaths! A man like rickard doesn't want to send so many of his men to war.. Unless there is a very good reason, like an insane king. Those men are valuable. Want to vs have to.. there's a pretty big difference there.

That line of thought is barely 70 years old and restricted to the richer countries. Westeros did not experience two world wars, nor is it as rich as current Europe.

Or he'd gotten rid of Tywin fifteen years earlier.

Tywin's tenure as Hand is way overrated. He inherited the office in the best shape in three centuries, the last problems being solved about a year earlier, and left it in the worst position since the Dance of Dragons (debatably worse), just a year before the shit hit the fan

14 minutes ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Or he'd gotten rid of Tywin fifteen years earlier.

Tywin's tenure as Hand is way overrated. He inherited the office in the best shape in three centuries, the last problems being solved about a year earlier, and left it in the worst position since the Dance of Dragons (debatably worse), just a year before the shit hit the fan

Tywin paid of the crowns debt from his own pockets, reconciled the crown and the Iron Bank, kept Aerys from draining the treasury and fighting an idiotic war, the fact that it is overflowing when Robert inherits probably has a lot to do with the man who supposedly shits gold. Tywin can't cure Aerys insanity so not sure what you think he could of done to prevent the coming events, a man can only take so much shit before he has enough. Maybe the rebellion had more to do with Aerys, Rhaegar, and Brandon being complete morons than the previous Hand.

11 hours ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Wait, what? "Nobody wants war?" About 100 out of 110 billion humans historically alive disagree.

Uh yeah....

10 hours ago, Lady_of_the_black said:

In the 21st century, but that statement does not account for, nor does it reflect,  the "warrior cultures" of previous centuries. Even as late as the 19th century, war was a central part of imperial/colonial life. No, it is not simply "men with fat wallets", but the warrior elite of society were highly esteemed. 

Archived