How did the Tarly's get Heartsbane?

Valens

The theory is Dragonstone started off as a Valyrian trading post where several Valyrian steel swords were sold. They were likely rare, precious, and expensive but not particularly "special". Some people bought them right away, some probably put it off thinking they had time. Once the doom happened, rare turned to priceless and those that spent the money immediately saw their investment skyrocket. The Tarly's likely just shelled out the money up front. Probably a lot, but nothing outside their means, while others put off buying until someday in the future. But like the song says, Someday never comes.

How does Areo Hotah though get possesion of such an exceptional weapon as he has? That case seems far more needy for some inquiry.

Area hotah is a rather low tier man, a mere bodyguard in terms of rank, connected to a nice court sure given his quality's, but one can wonder why he even choose the job of bodyguard if he could have sold that blade for a load of money. Areo hotah's weapon possibly has even more valyrian steel in it than the swords, Who's he going to leave this weapon when he dies?

And how came that odd weapon come to be? Did a dragonlord order such a weapon for himself? I can believe the weapon is a functional one for sure given the propperty's of Valyrian steel, but i wonder if there is more to that thing than just being a weapon. I see no reason from the deviation from sword given the rarity of the material. Axes/Polearms certainly have their use but how would a axemen/pikemen come to have a valyrian blade? You would think the Valyrian blades would go to people who won't be positioned in such a role in the front line, rather on the battlefield valyrian blades would be more wielded by lords for protection or champions in combat who more likely would choose sword?

Or caggo the corpsekiller. Some Dothraki sellsword who owns a Valyrian steel arakh, beats me how that weapon ever came to be. That some random Dothraki would rahter has his Valyrian steel blade in the form of an Arakh one can get, but you wouldn't expect a Valyrian wanting to make that one, or dothraki having the skill to reforge it.

I do wonder if some of these blades might have magical propperty's that make them more than just a weapon. When valyrian steel doesn't come in the form of a weapon then it's often going to be a magic item, maybe the combo could exist too.

Archived