Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

Liverpool have accepted bids for Ibe (15m, Bournemouth) and Skrtel (5.5m, Fenerbace).  It's a pity to lose a young player we developed but he seemed to go backward in his development in the second half of last season, and without European games next season we are reducing the peripheral squad players.  I wish him good luck.  He's so young that an extended period of first team play will probably help him a lot. 

The signing of Mane is a nice coup though, more than compensates for those losses, and you'd think there is more to come from Liverpool, with perhaps some names leaving as well.

I wonder who Mourinho's 4th big singning is going to be. Pogba would be insanely spectacular, but if that fails, it should still be a good one by the sounds of it.

21 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Yes, all these cases should go to trial. But a prosecution with solely extra-judicial motivations is worse than no prosecution at all.

I still think linking the prosecution of Messi to the prosecutor supporting Real is a red herring. Either Messi is a tax cheat, then he should be prosecuted, or he isn't. If he wasn't a tax cheat, then we could talk about malicious prosecution and the prosecutor being a Madrilista playing a part in that. 

Transfer rumors:

City is rumoredly still interested in singing Sane. Last time Schalke's demands were roughly what City paid for Sterling. Which would be somewhat bad news Sterling, because Sane as a player is similar to Sterling.

And Liverpool is rumoredly interested in Dahoud, which should make life for Gladbach a bit more difficult, since they are trying to extend his contract. And LFC is rumoredly also interested in extending Klopp's contract (which looks a bit premature, since he is under contract till 2018 anyway).

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The doping case against Sakho has been dismissed, apparently because the diet pills he was taking aren't actually prohibited. So he's only missed out on playing in European finals at both club and international level because of that then.

Man I really feel for him cause he definitely would have played these euros 

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The doping case against Sakho has been dismissed, apparently because the diet pills he was taking aren't actually prohibited. So he's only missed out on playing in European finals at both club and international level because of that then.

Good news though.

Watched the friendly against Tranmere.Didn't know we had Pogba Ejaria playing for us.Who is this lad ? Looked very confident on the ball and controlled the midfield for the most part.So Arsenal let him go ? I would like to see him get some first team action in the coming season.

Mane was really good.Looked fit and sharp.He created chances and his link-up play with Firmino was very good.

Ings scored,which was great but he could easily have scored a couple more.Matip looked a bit shaky.He also needs to put on some muscle if he intends to bully PL opposition players.

Grujic was unable to play due to some work permit issue.

ETA: oh and Markovic missed a sitter.<_<

On 7/9/2016 at 2:11 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Grujic was unable to play due to some work permit issue.

ETA: oh and Markovic missed a sitter.<_<

I'm guessing the work permit issue is about Grujic not playing the required amount of matches for the national team in the last 2 years. He should've played quite a few for U23 team though, so he should get it. No guarantees, though.

Markovic needs to work on his finishing, which has been his weakest point ever since his days in Partizan Belgrade. As years go by, I'm ever less convinced he'll ever address the issue.

With Utd signing Zlatan and Mhikitaryan, plus a new CB, and changing manager, and with so many players misused last year, it seems like they jump straight back into contention whether or not they get Pogba.

On the other hand, Zlatan could be just like Falcao, Mhikitaryan like DiMaria or Depay, the CB like Rojo, and possibly Pogba like Schweinstiger, Schneiderlin and Fellaini combined.  Plus they still have the Rooney problem, and now Zlatan will be a second aged ego taking opportunities from Martial and Rashford. 

I think it will all come down to the manager.  Moyes and LVG kept their teams relatively solid (thanks partly to DDG) but uninspiring and lacked goals.  Mourinho won't change that much.  They need to increase their goals scored to move higher up the table.  Most likely Mourinho will just look to increase the number of counter-attacks and make those transitions faster.  That might be enough, but only if the opposition oblige by piling forward and playing into your hands. 

Possibly Euro-thread material, but I did like the Guardian's awards for the Euros, especially the part about the footballers' reaction to Brexit:

" Among the footballers reacting to Brexit in week three: Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini: “The main concern is a domino effect. But I don’t think the simple UK exit can change the equilibrium of the whole European economy – I don’t think the discontent should lead to disintegration.” Spain’s Nolito: “What is Brexit? I think it’s a dance. I may be wrong.” And England’s Harry Kane: “I’ve not really thought about it. I don’t think any of us have.” "

Who amongst us hasn't had one of our accountants invest our sponsorship earnings in a dodgy offshore Belize-based company or two? It's a plight the common man can really identify with.

35 million pounds will get you one sissoko.  

I love how the toon hold all the cards on this.  he wants to leave.  he looked good in the euros. it helped up have so many eyes on him.  the more he is being watched the harder he runs.

now rafa will pay for all his transfer dealings with change by selling sissoko.

3 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

35 million pounds will get you one sissoko.  

I love how the toon hold all the cards on this.  he wants to leave.  he looked good in the euros. it helped up have so many eyes on him.  the more he is being watched the harder he runs.

now rafa will pay for all his transfer dealings with change by selling sissoko.

If Sissoko is worth 35m after a good tournament following an indifferent season, then Joe Allen must be worth 20m at least.  Didn't Joe make it into the XI of the tournament?

I can't imagine Sissoko fetching that kind of fee so I wonder if he'll start agitating to get his move. 

I think he could easily go for more than 25 million - Sissoko has got Crystal Palace written all over him. 

Sticking with the Newcastle,  they've bought Issac Hayden from Arsenal - I didn't see him play for Hull last season but he's been tidy enough for the couple of times he's played in the Arsenal midfield. Apparently he's played at CB a couple of times too.  Still very young though. 

Archived