Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Allardyce wouldn't be worse than Hodgson, and when Big Sam fails he'll have to stop bleating about how he was overlooked for big jobs

Yes, even in a worst case scenario where it goes belly-up, at least you'll have shut up Allardici. Every cloud has its silver lining.

And there's a slight possibility it might work. Allardyce usually organises his teams well and offers more 'tactics' than Hodgson. Even if Big Sam's longball style can only be generously described as 'counterattacking' when compared to Tony Pulis, he does seem to have a clear idea about how he wants his whole team to play. He might not be able to handle the dressing room, though.

On 13.07.2016 at 6:32 PM, Consigliere said:

Fairly certain Polishgenuis meant Carrick. I mean, why Carrick over Schneiderlin? At the end of the day both Carrick and Schweinsteiger are in the twighlight of their careers, with the latter plagued by injury in recent years. If either of those two are first choice in our midfield at this stage of their careers then our midfield isn't good enough.

Because of his vision of the field and the great ability to make good first pass.
Carrick is one of the most misjudged players in Europe and even in world.
i think he still can play very valuable this season!

Carrick certainly can pass, but even in his best years he needed a lot of looking after (which is why his best form was when he was partnered by Fletcher to do all the physical work). Now he needs so much that the trade-off in limiting other players to make him effective just isn't worth it. He's still alright as backup and a steady hand (though we really only need one of him and Schweini) but he shouldn't be first choice.

If we want a passer in midfield we should be looking how to fit Herrera. If we were to get Pogba (or Matuidi) then Schneiderlin, Pogba, Herrera would be a pretty ideal midfield but with Jose wanting to accommodate both Rooney and Zlatan Rooney's probably going to get that no10 role... be a shame if Herrera gets sold without ever getting a real chance.

14 hours ago, StefCurry said:

Because of his vision of the field and the great ability to make good first pass.
Carrick is one of the most misjudged players in Europe and even in world.
i think he still can play very valuable this season!

He can be valuable as a backup but he shouldn't be first choice. Polishgenius makes very good points in the previous post. Carrick is nearly 35; we should be looking to the future and both Schneiderlin and Herrera are good passers as well. If we do land Pogba then we need him to play him in a role where we can make the most of his abilities. Having Carrick alongside him means that Pogba will have to shoulder the burden of the defensive work due to Carrick's lack of physicality/mobility which is not what we want.

Looks like Higuain is going to Juve. I knew Arsenal didn't really have a shot at signing him but it was nice to dream.

I'm not super excited about people like Lacazette (he's only played in Ligue 1 and could easily turn out to be a mediocre player in the EPL) but at this stage I'll be happy with anyone.

14 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Looks like Higuain is going to Juve. I knew Arsenal didn't really have a shot at signing him but it was nice to dream.

I'm not super excited about people like Lacazette (he's only played in Ligue 1 and could easily turn out to be a mediocre player in the EPL) but at this stage I'll be happy with anyone.

So far, another shitty transfer window. Still got a lot of dead wood, only added Xhaka and all our competitors added some key players. Not to mention we're going into the beginning of the season without Ramsey, Giroud, Ozil, Sanchez and Koscielny. 

Looking at our squad, I would almost be happy (apart from the obvious lack of a world-class striker), but it's the fact that everyone else has gone out and strengthened so much that has me worried, particularly both Manchesters.

Our midfield is fully stocked, our defence is fine (another top class CB to eventually take over from Koscielny might be nice) but the strikers are such a glaring weakness.

49 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Looking at our squad, I would almost be happy (apart from the obvious lack of a world-class striker), but it's the fact that everyone else has gone out and strengthened so much that has me worried, particularly both Manchesters.

Our midfield is fully stocked, our defence is fine (another top class CB to eventually take over from Koscielny might be nice) but the strikers are such a glaring weakness.

Arsenal need a new centre back. Mertesacker and Gabriel are not good enough. 

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

Arsenal need a new centre back. Mertesacker and Gabriel are not good enough. 

I'm totally fine with Gabriel as a third CB. He's not perfect, but he's pretty good. It's just, he's not what you'd ideally want as a starter.

The lack of striker/winger is a big deal though. Going into the season with Giroud (missing the early games and pre-season) and Walcott does not inspire any confidence at all, especially as it's the same guys we've had the last 4 years and it was never good enough then.

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm totally fine with Gabriel as a third CB. He's not perfect, but he's pretty good. It's just, he's not what you'd ideally want as a starter.

He may become a starter, though. While Koscielny is definitely the first choice, Mertesacker as second choice is starting to become a bit less of a sure thing.

If Koscielny gets injured, CB could easily turn into a soft spot for us. I hope we get another top-class CB in the next 12 months, or at the very least that one of Gabriel or Chambers takes a huge step forward in their development. Both of them make too many fouls and pick up too many cards.

55 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The lack of striker/winger is a big deal though. Going into the season with Giroud (missing the early games and pre-season) and Walcott does not inspire any confidence at all, especially as it's the same guys we've had the last 4 years and it was never good enough then.

I like Gabriel, too. By no means the finished article, he's only 25 and has plenty of room for improvement (as did Kos when we first signed him). And he's one of the most passionate, committed members of the squad. If the rest of them gave as much as he does, we might have won the league last year.

I see Mahrez is getting out of Leicester. Expect the usual stories linking him with Arsenal, before he signs for Barcelona. Also, I'll bet Vardy is happy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I see Mahrez is getting out of Leicester. Expect the usual stories linking him with Arsenal, before he signs for Barcelona. Also, I'll bet Vardy is happy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wenger does seem only capable of signing midfielders so anyone wanting a move will be done.

Pity for Leicester. Mahrez and Kante were much more important to Leicester than Vardy.

2 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Bacca to Arsenal is a rumor I've see a bunch. Top finisher and seems a more realistic target than Higuain. 

At this stage I'll be happy with anyone new coming in. Don't know anything about him, but if he's scored 18 goals in a Serie A season, he has to be decent.

Archived