Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

Shame that Leicester are losing two key players in Mahrez and Kante. I guess most of us figured this was likely to happen. Going to be tough to replace them. Leicester will have the funds but established quality players probably wouldn't want to go to 'unfashionable' Leicester if more glamorous clubs come in for them and signing relatively unknown players who turn out to be gems doesn't happen very often.

Leicester were always going to find it near-impossible to put together a title defence.

The more realistic aim for them is to use that title win to gain credibility as a solid, consistent Europa-League sort of side year in year out. I can't see them realistically getting into the top four again, but to consistently get into Europe would be a good goal.

Even if Leicester retained all their players, retaining the title was a really long shot.  Last season was a confluence of too many factors to repeat.  But Mahrez has another three years on his contract and they could just refuse to sell. 

With the benefit of some time to evaluate, Spurs' late season collapse looks worse than Liverpool's.  Gerrard's slip may have provided great mirth and schadenfreude, but Liverpool otherwise didn't collapse much (the Palace draw was because they piled forward at 3-0 to try to close the goal difference on City), and they were only narrowly edged out by a fantastic City team who went on an incredible run.  Spurs lost the plot completely over the last 4-5 games and managed to finish third.  I expect Spurs to be strong again but, like Liverpool, they may struggle to recapture that moment and momentum.  At least they didn't lose Suarez. 

here is my unbiased top six. I base it on nothing more than quality of signings, new managers and my powerful and beautiful football mind.

feel free to bet your money on these predictions.

1. man united 

2. spurs

3. man city

4. chelsea

5. arsenal 

6. west ham

While I'd love to agree with MC, I'm skeptical of us finishing top. I need to see how we perform in competitive games under Mourinho first and whether he has manged to solve our issue of a lack of goals and creativity.  Right now, I'm thinking that the top two places will be City and Chelsea and I'd have Arsenal in the top 4.

Not just that, but first let's see some actual line-ups to give us an idea of what he wants to do with the team.

Let's also see who else comes in, I'm expecting a big name , as is everyone.

I'm also interested to see who leaves the squad- I'm personally eager for both Rooney and Schweinsteiger to depart as soon as possible, but Rooney seems unlikely. Surely no place anymore for the latter though. I'd like to see what Rashford and Martial are capable of under new management, ande certainly Depay deserves another look and a second chance based on his past. But if he fails again, he should, of course, go. I'd also like to see Blind given another position than centre back, as that simply isn't where he is best suited, regardless of what club he plays for. He's a skilled player, but not a centre back.

Chelsea, City and Utd are all very uncertain calls.  They have a solid base but each with their respective flaws, and they have new managers.  Any one of them could win the league if their big transfers gel really well, but I could imagine one or two of them finishing outside the top 4 if they have any struggles to adapt.  Spurs and Arsenal will probably be very similar to last year, and both have a shot of top 4.  

Liverpool are a long shot for top 4 but will have less change to handle.  Southampton are another wildcard because of another new manager and more stars departing.  West Ham could build on last season but they could also struggle to repeat that momentum, I think they could finish 10th as easy as 6th.  I'd put their chances of an EL spot around the same as Liverpool.  Everton could improve a lot under Koeman if they can sign a couple more players.  I expect at least one new gate crasher to the race for EL spots.  The spending capacity means that teams like Palace and Watford can compete for a season or two of their transfers do well.  It's just hard to call who it will be since injuries to one or two key players matter so much. 

Chelsea, City and United all have massive potential. With three new managers, they could all potentially win the title, but the two Manchesters in particular will have undergone a lot of change which could introduce some uncertainty.

My sleeper pick would be Chelsea. They don't have any European competition to worry about and they have an exceptional manager who will be able to make really good use of that extra training time etc.

Spurs have only gotten beater so far, with Wanyama and Jansen they got in two impressive players.

Liverpool have only got Mane who could move the needle but do they actually need more guys, with Firmino, Countinho, Sturridge and Benteke staying? I guess you'd still like to get a better striker looking at that list, cause Sturridge hardly ever plays, and Benteke's been quite useless. Of course strikers are in very short supply.

Watched Wigan- Manchester United. That was a little of Ferguson's Man U. Quick moving on the field and getting to attack from defense. Liked Mkhitaryan .. He was so cool on 10 number zone. With Pogba this could be very strong team

3 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Spurs have only gotten beater so far, with Wanyama and Jansen they got in two impressive players.

Liverpool have only got Mane who could move the needle but do they actually need more guys, with Firmino, Countinho, Sturridge and Benteke staying? I guess you'd still like to get a better striker looking at that list, cause Sturridge hardly ever plays, and Benteke's been quite useless. Of course strikers are in very short supply.

MU fan, but not hate Liverpool. I think this season they will be again out big-4. not enough good players in all to do something serious in Premier League. Missing the time when the BIG 4  were - MAn U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool

Liverpool are being heavily linked with Ragnar Klavan from Augsburg. It's a strange move as he is a 30 year old who is a middling player for a lower mid-table Bundesliga club. He will be a solid backup, but nothing more.

On July 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM, MercifulChief said:

here is my unbiased top six. I base it on nothing more than quality of signings, new managers and my powerful and beautiful football mind.

feel free to bet your money on these predictions.

1. man united 

2. spurs

3. man city

4. chelsea

5. arsenal 

6. west ham

This could happen. Then again, I wouldn't dare to rule out Liverpool, Leicester or a surprise run by any number of mid table clubs. 

West Ham, so dear to my heart, might end up starting the season with Andy Carroll as their only senior striker, with Valencia and Sakho both wanting out, and with their idiotic public claim that they're going to spend big this window to bring in a "proven 20 goal striker" working very much against them. 

3 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Liverpool are being heavily linked with Ragnar Klavan from Augsburg. It's a strange move as he is a 30 year old who is a middling player for a lower mid-table Bundesliga club. He will be a solid backup, but nothing more.

He will replace Kolo as the 4th CB. Not nearly as strange as Liverpool supposedly looking to sign Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle. 

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

He will replace Kolo as the 4th CB. Not nearly as strange as Liverpool supposedly looking to sign Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle. 

cost you 25 million. no way rafa isn't making a profit and a tight one on him.

we paid 13 million. he is yours for just under double. call it a deal.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Gomez and Sakho both have Achilles' tendon injuries and will miss the rest of pre-season.  Matip and Lovren are the only fit CBs available to start the season, unless Illori is retained.  Even if Illori is kept for now, it looks like we need some cover.  Has Kolo actually signed for Celtic yet?  If not, he'd be a good choice.   

12 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

cost you 25 million. no way rafa isn't making a profit and a tight one on him.

we paid 13 million. he is yours for just under double. call it a deal.

20-25 actually is the rumored fee. It's just such a weird transfer. He's a good player but I don't see him starting over Firmino or Coutinho and from what I understand when played in a deeper role he wasnt very good. 

Archived