Football - Aftermath of the Euros

baxus

On 7/16/2016 at 11:41 AM, Jeor said:

At this stage I'll be happy with anyone new coming in. Don't know anything about him, but if he's scored 18 goals in a Serie A season, he has to be decent.

That's exactly what we said when City signed Rolando Bianchi nearly 10 years ago  :lol:

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

Even if he never steps foot on the field, Liverpool has to be improved by just having someone named Ragnar on the roster.

A good name, but not quite at the same level as his teammate Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

20-25 actually is the rumored fee. It's just such a weird transfer. He's a good player but I don't see him starting over Firmino or Coutinho and from what I understand when played in a deeper role he wasnt very good. 

I agree.  Very talented player but not known for his contribution to defense and hardly the position we need to fill.  I thought our obsession with attacking midfielders and inside forwards had ended with BR.  The rumor of Gary Medel is much closer to the gap we have in our line-up.

Just now, mormont said:

The Premier League have tough new rules on dissent:

http://www.premierleague.com/news/65240

Mostly sensible, I think. Hands off the ref at all times, don't run from the other side of the pitch to confront him, etc.

Meh. Would much rather they did something to address all the horrendous cheating.

6 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

Do we really want to watch the 7-5 games that come from all the penalties awarded for the contact in the box on set pieces?

Doubt that would happen. Players will modify their behaviour once it becomes clear that they cannot get away with this shit anymore. The biggest enabler for cheating is refereeing consistency, or lack thereof. I'm sick and tired of hearing pundits praising referees for ignoring cheating and/or clear yellow card offences. The whole 'nobody wants to see a game ruined by the ref' is just bullshit. Football is the only sport I can think of where cheating and gamesmanship is an accepted part of the game. How the fuck did we come to this?

I'd prefer to see them allow play continue at close offsides that would lead to a chance on goal and have a quick replay review to decide whether to call play back.  Same for reviewing penalty decisions -- they are too big a deal to not do a quick review. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Meh. Would much rather they did something to address all the horrendous cheating.

Surely attempting to intimidate the ref is cheating?

A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.

This is almost certain to cause problems.

Let's say that you have 4 players surrounding a referee, one of which already has a yellow card. Ref looks around, sees four players and has to give a yellow card to AT LEAST one of them. Who does he give it to? What if he gives a yellow card to an already booked player and sends him off? What if he doesn't? What if in a similar situation on a different match another ref doesn't do the same?

It's too open to interpretation and will most definitely lead to "oh, they must have refs on their side to get away with that when we didn't".

It should be either "give them all yellow cards" or "don't give them yellow cards at all". That could be easily enforced across the board without controversy.

22 minutes ago, mormont said:

Surely attempting to intimidate the ref is cheating?

I think intimidation would fall under gamesmanship rather than cheating. *shrugs*

I'm not saying the new measures are unwelcome. I just think there are more pressing matters for the PL to worry about. Like grown men acting like children, trying to get colleagues sent off, feigning injury, Diego Costa, rugby tactics at corners, etc, etc, etc. It's pathetic. Are they not concerned with the image of their product?

The sport could be cleaned up in weeks. All it would take would be a simple directive to all referees. Apply the laws of the game. No exceptions.

We will have review of offsides and penalties in the next 5 years I think.  

So many were against goal line technology but it has been a success.  

Allowing the game to catch up with technology isn't the evil so many staunch old time fans believe. 

A crackdown on diving and trying to deceive the referees is what is needed right now to better the game.

4 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

We will have review of offsides and penalties in the next 5 years I think.  

So many were against goal line technology but it has been a success.  

Allowing the game to catch up with technology isn't the evil so many staunch old time fans believe. 

A crackdown on diving and trying to deceive the referees is what is needed right now to better the game.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly that there is no acceptable reason to avoid these improvements any longer, I think you are a bit too optimistic when it comes to FIFA (or continental federations) actually doing it.

They will always find a reason to avoid doing it. The worst one I've ever heard of has been "we can't do it on every single pitch in the world so we won't do it anywhere".

A easier solution would be to give a yellow card whenever someone falls in a penalty box - either to a defender that committed a foul or the attacker who dived.

2 minutes ago, baxus said:

A easier solution would be to give a yellow card whenever someone falls in a penalty box - either to a defender that committed a foul or the attacker who dived.

Except that, sometimes, players just fall over.

Archived